Newbie needs help! Black Cat & software

Newbie needs help! Black Cat & software

Postby beccacrafter » November 18th, 2017, 3:47 pm

So, I am getting my Cougar out (got it as a gift and it has been sitting in my basement for years), and I need to know how to start. I have the CD with the manual and the USB Serial Adaptor software. I have Illustrator and CorelDraw. I'm guessing the only thing I need is SCAL, correct?
My first project is to cut some logos out of vinyl for our basketball team, so any tips for that would be welcome too!
beccacrafter

Cutter: Cougar 13"

Re: Newbie needs help! Black Cat & software

Postby Gigi » November 18th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Do you have any idea where your machine was purchased? We cannot offer a lot of support for machines that were not purchased under our trademark. So I hope it will be able to run because leaving a machine in a box for years is just not good for it no matter what the machine. Of course sometimes life gets in the way and you can only do what you can do. Totally get that!

You need SCAL or a software that will load the drivers that the machine needs to operate. You are correct in that. As far as advice for using the machine the manual should be helpful to you to get you started. And there are lots of threads on here about cutting vinyl - with or without a mat. But without knowing if it is one of our machines, I hesitate to offer specific advice because the machines that are not ours do not always respond in the same way.

Will Illustrator and Corel Draw, you can design from either and send directly to SCAL to cut which saves saving and then importing. There are free downloads for those options on the Craftedge website (developer of SCAL). I think you will find that very helpful. You can also design directly in SCAL - so you have options depending on where you are most comfortable designing.

I am confident that you will find plenty of information on here that will be beneficial. Good luck with the logos.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby beccacrafter » November 18th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Thanks Gigi! This may sound odd, but I think it came from the UK?
beccacrafter

Postby Gigi » November 18th, 2017, 5:22 pm

First of all, thank you for understanding.

And no it doesn't sound odd at all. We have an authorized dealer in the UK, but we also had an unauthorized one based there - so I don't know. If you know who purchased it originally, I can send the name on and see if the machine is one of ours - at least you would know! :)

You can email me directly at admin@silverbulletcutters.com.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby beccacrafter » November 18th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Thanks Gigi. Would a picture help? It was a friend's friend that was dying and she wanted all of her stuff to go to someone crafty. Unfortunately, right after I got it I started working full time and it sat idle. Yes, another weird twist. :)
beccacrafter

Postby Gigi » November 19th, 2017, 2:19 am

We can try - you can send it to me at the email I posted earlier. Thank you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby beccacrafter » November 19th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Thanks Gigi! I sent you an email. :) I purchased SCAL, and it looks like it my laptop and Cougar are now buddies. Did a test cut on cardstock but need to increase pressure :) Now just to figure out the settings for vinyl and get the logo in the correct format. Had to run to Staples and get a power cord - still had the UK cord on it, lol.
beccacrafter

Postby Gigi » November 19th, 2017, 4:29 pm

I would recommend not cutting out the logo right away. Take time to get to know your machine and understand the force and velocity and where things cut on actual mat in relation to the virtual mat. You will have fewer frustrations if you get a good working knowledge of all of the basics first.

If you are cutting regular vinyl you will want the 45 degree blade; HTV (iron on) usually requires the 60 degree blade. (and remember to mirror image your design if you are using the HTV to do any lettering).

Experiment before using good material - it will save you a lot in the long run. Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Graphics Programs (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.)