Cougar not communicating with SCAL after computer update

Cougar not communicating with SCAL after computer update

Postby dbvjs1014 » October 30th, 2016, 7:25 am

I have been using SCAL for over a year now and it has been working great. My computer did an auto update to Windows 10. Since update, SCAL is not able to communicate with my Cougar. I have tried to re-install the driver, this did not help. I do NOT see the cougar listed under the list of printers and devices in the control panel/settings tab of the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.
diana
dbvjs1014

Cutter: black cat

Re: Cougar not communicating with SCAL after computer update

Postby janrichards » October 30th, 2016, 8:14 am

Mine is not listed there either but if I were you I would check the COM port that it is set on. I had the same problem and that was the problem. A simple fix but I did have to do it several times before it quit switching it.
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2016, 9:44 am

You wont find it listed that way - it will be under Ports and should show as "USB Serial Port (COM whatever for your machine) If you right click on the properties of that, it will show the manufacturer as FTDI which is correct.
When you are in the properties tab of the driver/connection, click on the Port Settings tab and be sure the bits per second say 9600.

Also be sure and do a machine reset just in case something was accidentally altered. I did a windows update recently and mine is fine, but I know that every now and then the updates can create an issue.

Be sure to also do the machine reset just in case. Let us know.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby dbvjs1014 » October 30th, 2016, 12:23 pm

How do I do a re-set on the machine?
COM port: under device manager I do not see anything that says COMM port, just USB. how do i know which one is which?
I see generic USB, USB composite, USB root hub; I do not have an option that says USB serial port.

thank you in advance.
diana
dbvjs1014

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2016, 1:33 pm

The direction for resetting the machine are in the learning center. Turn your machine off, hold the origin button down and continue to hold it while turning the power on. Once you see it say "reset" on the LCD screen you release the origin button.

I am attaching a picture of my device manager. I highlighted the connection. Under the view tab, be sure you check the option that says "show hidden devices". Perhaps that is why you don't see it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby dbvjs1014 » October 30th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Ok, I reset the machine - no change

I found the port settings after showing hidden items
I matched the number of the port in device manager with SCAL.
My previous instructions were to use 38400 bits/sec 8 data bits and xonxoff - these settings are still there.

however under COMM port 3 I am getting this message:
Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

The Black cat is connected to the same USB port I always use and is turned on.

please advise.
diana
dbvjs1014

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Be sure the software matches to whatever your device manager shows which it seems is what you have done.

If that is all correct, it could be that your usb connection has gone bad - either the usb port itself or the usb cable. I would try a different cable connection and also hook in a different device to be sure that the port is working as it should.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 30th, 2016, 2:15 pm

After you reset the cutter, did you shut everything completely down, including the cutter and the computer and then restart it? If not, you might give that a try. Also, wait to turn you cutter back on until after the computer has restarted. Do a complete shutdown not just simply a restart.

It is possible for the USB cable to go bad as well as for a USB port on either the computer or the cutter to go bad. It would be more common for it to be a cable going bad but I have seen where ports on computers can go bad as well. As a result, I would check my USB cable I was using to see if it might be a bad cable. To test it, use it to connect another device to your computer and see if it works. Try to use either a different computer or a different usb port that you know works so you know you are only checking the cable its self. Another way to check the cable is it to use it with another device that you know is working correctly like a printer. If the cable seems to work correctly with another device and different port, then you will want to try another usb device with your computer using the port in question on the computer to see if the port works correctly or if its the port with the problem. Again,using a printer and a printer cable that you have that you know that works in the port in question can help you figure out if its the port that is the problem. Normally, when you connect a device to a USB port on your computer, you should get a "ding" that says the connection has been made and recognized. Are you hearing that when you plug things into the port in question, if not - that would be a suggestion that the port or cable is not working correctly. Only after I verified the cable was working correctly and the port on the computer was working correctly would i explore that it was the port on the cutter. If I thought that was the case, then I would reach out to Sherry if she is your vendor for further advice and information. I have never seen it be the port on the cutter but that doesn't mean that it cannot happen.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby dbvjs1014 » October 30th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer!

I switched out the cord and everything worked!!!

Thank you so much for your help and your time!! I so love my black cat and happy it is purring again will upgrade my cord today.

diana
dbvjs1014

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2016, 3:02 pm

So glad.....great news.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 30th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Glad we were able to help and it was just a bad cable. Happy cutting.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Thanks for your help, Melanie!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Soraya » December 20th, 2016, 8:15 pm

I'm so grateful for this thread. i was having the same problem and followed the directions in the learning center and nothing happened. Then I came here and read MeFlick post. I checked the cable and I realized that I forgot to plugged back :banghead: :banghead: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

I'm going back to play.

Soraya
Soraya

Cutter: Black Cat 15"

Postby Gigi » December 20th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Always happy to hear when problems can be resolved easily - which gratefully most can!! Have fun playing! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » December 21st, 2016, 7:48 am

Glad it was an easy fix Soraya. That is actually the common spot to start to troubleshoot - check and see if you are plugged in to the computer and the electrical outlet! You would be surprised how often that is the problem!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Return to Black Cat Lynx/Cougar