Fabric Portrait - I Did It!!!

Fabric Portrait - I Did It!!!

Postby CarolBly » September 20th, 2016, 3:55 pm

I did it, I did it!!! I finally figured out how to cut fabric with my die cutter. Hooray! It’s been on my bucket list since March 2015.
The fabric appliqué is based upon a picture of my mother, taken by either my father or Aunt Anna, in about 1942. She was 19 at the time. It’s always been one of my favorites, so a natural choice for learning how to appliqué with the die cutter.
Thank you so much, Kris and Deb (Pixeladies,com) for providing the perfect Photoshop Elements lessons that enabled me to modify and then convert the photograph into a poster. And to the people on the Wearable Arts group (FaceBook) and the Silver Bullet Cutters Forum for your wonderful suggestions!
For now, I’m thinking the magical combination for working with cotton fabric is stiffening it with Terial Magic; using a light-weight, iron-on bonding product (e.g. Mistyfuse or Wonder Under); spraying temporary adhesive onto the mat (sacrilege, I’m sure, but it worked); lots of braying (and praying); and blue painters tape around the borders.
It’s not a perfect product. The mid-range greys don’t have enough variance, etc. BUT it’s personal proof that I can do it. And, that was my goal!!!
Hallelujah!
Ironically, I started this around Mother’s Day and have completed it just three weeks after Mom’s passing. I’m going to just frame and hang it as is, in my sewing room. I’m going to call it “The Gift of Time.” Mom’s presence in our lives was such a remarkable gift. Her passing has given us the gift of time that was otherwise spent at her bedside, or waiting for “the call.” We know she’s at peace now, which makes us at peace as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CarolBly

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: Fabric Portrait - I Did It!!!

Postby Gigi » September 20th, 2016, 4:10 pm

What you made is incredibly beautiful and so full of love. Wow - what an amazing gift to memorialize your mother in such a meaningful and personal way. I am so glad you found success and stuck with it. That is a testament to your tenacity and also it's sometimes what it takes to get that project that you have always dreamed of completed. The time that it took you was a real journey, both in the timing of your mother's life and in the time you shared with her during that period.

I am totally in awe. Thank you so much for sharing this touching work of art.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby janrichards » September 21st, 2016, 10:57 am

Just beautiful, congratulations! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby ohsusanna » September 8th, 2017, 3:52 pm

that's amazing! What velocity and force did you use?
ohsusanna

Postby HDinAZ » September 9th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I was deeply touched by your story about why you chose this picture to honor your mother. You did a wonderful job of it!
HDinAZ

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby crichtonguy » September 15th, 2017, 10:26 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your late mother! I am sorry for your loss. But what a wonderful tribute to the one you loved so dearly. I can only imagine how much time and love were put into such a beautiful project! Wonderful job.
“If I am only happy for myself, many fewer chances for happiness. If I am happy when good things happen to other people, billions more chances to be happy!”
– Dalai Lama XIV
crichtonguy

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Return to Masterpieces