Success Cutting Cotton Fabric for Applique!!!

Success Cutting Cotton Fabric for Applique!!!

Postby CarolBly » May 18th, 2016, 10:40 am

This is a repost from something I just shared in response to someone's question about cutting fabric.
The primary reason I originally purchased my SB a year ago, was to be able to cut fabric. In the time between, I've done about a bajillion heat-transfer vinyl designs on tee shirts for my husband and gkids, as well as cardstock cuts for school displays.
I finally decided to gather my courage to cut cotton fabric for an appliqued picture of my mother.
After a bit of trial and error, I just had GREAT success cutting the fabric!!!
V = 185, F = 60, Blade = 30 Fabric and 45 Detail
I got equally good results with the 30 (fabric) blade in the Click Blade Holder at setting 5, as I did with the 45 detail blade in the detail holder.
The secret to success (drum roll), was as others have shared...starch. I super starched the fabric. I just used a typical spray starch with an iron, redoing it about 4 times (until it was stiff)
Then, I backed it with Steam a Seam 2, but ironed until it was bonded to the fabric.
Bottom line, in addition to the correct bade setting (I had to fiddle with the height), from my experience I'm going to make sure my fabric is well stiffened with something that washes out. And, I'll make sure my fusing product has really adhered to the fabric I'm cutting.
In early, disastrous attempts, the fabric would lift from fusing and was so pliable, the wheels could drag on it.
Good luck!
Carol
CarolBly

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: Success Cutting Cotton Fabric for Applique!!!

Postby PennyDuncan » May 18th, 2016, 10:53 am

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and findings that worked for you!!! I know several others here have cut fabric and it's great to hear from others!! Helps to encourage more to give it a go!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby pigtailpat » May 26th, 2016, 7:32 am

you don't have to do that much work in terms of spray starch and ironing. Just dip your fabric in 100% sta-flo liquid starch (or whatever you can get liquid starch is really hard to find nowadays), let it air dry, press once and then you are good to cut via plotter.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby CarolBly » August 31st, 2016, 12:01 pm

When I originally posted this, I had just started working on an applique portrait of my mother. I've since learned that Terial Magic is a wondrous fabric stiffener. Also, I'm going to try Misty Fuse (as soon as it's delivered) for a lighter weight fusible. I will keep you posted.
While sorting through all of this, my mother became increasingly ill from her battle with Parkinson's. She passed away in her sleep in the wee hours of August 29th. I'm so grateful for the years we had with her. And, that she was a professional photographer. The former filled us with love and the latter has given me pounds of pictures that can be used in so many ways...such as appliqued images.
Hug your family and friends!
C
CarolBly

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » August 31st, 2016, 1:06 pm

Yes.many have found the Terial Magic to be a great stiffener and make cutting fabric a breeze. Good to hear you are satisfied with the results.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad you have so many wonderful memories with her and in the photos she left behind. I know they will bring you much joy over the weeks and months to come.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » August 31st, 2016, 6:27 pm

Do a search for Jennifer Day. She is an amazing photographer and a quilter and thread painting is her specialty. After some practice and investment in threads, you might be able to thread paint one of those photos left to you by your precious mother. I am sorry for your loss.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » August 31st, 2016, 7:16 pm

What a great idea, Pat. Thread painting is so beautiful.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help