Heat n bond

Heat n bond

Postby morning-glory » April 9th, 2014, 9:00 am

Good morning! I am wondering if everyone uses a heat and bond with all cloth materials? And does anyone put anything on top of material? Thank you for any replies.
morning-glory

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Re: Heat n bond

Postby Gigi » April 9th, 2014, 9:29 am

Many use materials like Heat n Bond or Wunder Under. There were just a lot of posts done on fabric cutting. If you search in the box above for fabric cutting you will find a lot of discussion. Here is one: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5075&p=89166&hilit=fabric+cutting#p89166

Jo from Australia also did a few great videos on fabric cutting.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » April 9th, 2014, 10:54 am

I use Wonder Under on the back of my fabric, and nothing on the top for lighter weight tightly woven fabrics. For felt, I have had success using Jo's method of using contact paper on top.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby morning-glory » April 9th, 2014, 11:03 pm

thank you, that has been helpful, will keep reading....
morning-glory

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Postby prettypartymaker » March 2nd, 2016, 4:47 pm

Heat n bond
I've been using Heat n bond Ultra with great success for several years with my e Craft cutter. It cuts great - but must be the ultra in the red package - i just bought the Silver bullet and have been trying to cut fabric but with mixed results. I can't get anywhere with the fabric blade - but the 45 degree detail blade works like a charm. i see this ius a really old post - i'm looking for help with settings to cut cotton with my fabric blade on regular cotton fabric backed with Heat n Bond.
Any ideas? Are you cutting fabric?
prettypartymaker

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby CarolBly » May 15th, 2016, 10:43 am

I'm also looking for successful settings for cutting cotton, including blade holder and setting. Thanks!
CarolBly

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » May 15th, 2016, 1:12 pm

The fabric blade is usually the best blade to use and stiffening the material with a starch or stabilizer is also recommended.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CarolBly » May 18th, 2016, 10:32 am

I just had GREAT success cutting cotton fabric for an applique project!!!
V = 185, F = 60
I got equally good results with the 30 (fabric) blade in the Click Blade Holder at setting 5, as I did with the 45 detail blade in the detail holder.
The secret to success (drum roll), was as others have shared...starch. I super starched the fabric. I just used a typical spray starch with an iron, redoing it about 4 times (until it was stiff)
Then, I backed it with Steam a Seam 2, but ironed until it was bonded to the fabric.
Bottom line, in addition to the correct bade setting, from my experience I'm going to make sure my fabric is well stiffened with something that washes out. And, I'll make sure my fusing product in has really adhered to the fabric I'm cutting.
In early, disaster attempts, the fabric would lift from fusing and was so soft, the wheels could drag on it.
Good luck,
Carol
CarolBly

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help