stencils

stencils

Postby janrichards » February 13th, 2015, 9:00 am

I know some of you are cutting stencils could you tell me what medium you are using and where to get it?
Thanks,
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Re: stencils

Postby Gigi » February 13th, 2015, 10:10 am

I know Penny has used stencil material from Plaid. I have ordered different ones from Amazon (they have thin to thick). I will see if I can find the exact one later...... gone for the day. I know Lisa has ordered from Amazon as well.

Depending on the thickness you want, and how many times you want to use them, I have even cut them out if transparency film (the boxes of 100) - I use those for foiling too - but they are thin and wouldnt hold up repeatedly with a detailed design, but are great for simple things.

Will try to look for the link before I leave for the day - if not will check tonight.

EDITED TO ADD LINKS:
Great deal: http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-Clear-Plas ... H72EFAV7SQ

Have tried these too - thicker : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00085 ... UTF8&psc=1

Have used both the 3M laser transparencies and the HP laser transparencies too - also through Amazon.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » February 13th, 2015, 11:27 am

Yes...I had purchased some Plaid brand stencil sheets at Hobby Lobby I believe..... they cut very well....Like Gigi I've also used transparancey sheets.......they are much much thinner but work great!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Suzan » February 13th, 2015, 9:53 pm

oracal 631 vinyl works well for stenciling also depending on what you are stenciling.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » February 13th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Great point, Suzan. I instantly thought of a harder plastic stencil, but it's great for etching and other things, especially if you are stenciling a curved surface of any kind.

Thanks!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Suzan » February 14th, 2015, 1:01 am

Some people even use contact paper, for etching and such
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby janrichards » February 14th, 2015, 9:46 am

Thanks everyone, I have used both the contact paper and the transparency film but wanted something heavier. I got a gelli plate for Christmas and have been playing with it. I saw some nice stencils but they were $14 without the shipping and with this SB sitting here I knew I could cut my own! I'll get some of the Plaid and give it a go!
Jan
janrichards

Postby jonesusthree » February 12th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Can anyone tell me what their setup is on the Silver bullet to cut these. I bought some acrylic from lowers today it is 2 mm and I can only scratch it. I am currently using the 60 degree blade with the longer shaft. I have the velocity at 200 and the force set to 255 (maxed) :banghead: please help if you have any info on this.

Thanks Jonesnaround
jonesusthree

Cutter: New Owner of a SB 24'

Postby MendyRap » February 12th, 2016, 12:35 pm

janrichards Not sure if you mean "sticky" stencil or like a reusable wall stencil? I have used the hobby lobby and it worked great but not that durable for long term use. One of my clients needed a reusable stencil but it needed to be larger than I could buy the material in. So, I ordered shelf liners from the container store. I did have to do a double pass but it cut beautifully and she LOVED it! She said because it had more weight it stayed in place better and that she felt that it would last forever. Anywho that's my 2 cents worth! Lol!
MendyRap

Postby lbartle » May 13th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Hi. Did you end up finding the correct settings for your stencil material? I'm using some material that is similar to stencil material and haven't yet found the right settings. If you have any helpful information, I would be grateful...
lbartle

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Postby Gigi » May 13th, 2016, 9:05 pm

There are so many different types of stencil material - and thicknesses. Could you share the brand and/or thickness? That will help those who are or have cut stencils the opportunity to give you a more accurate answer.
Also, which blade are you using? And are your designs detailed or fairly simple. That will also determine the best velocity.

Thanks - and good luck. A lot of it is just trial and error and learning what works best for you. But if you can share more details we will do our best to help.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby janrichards » May 14th, 2016, 11:14 am

Part of the answer depends on how many times you plan to use them. I have cut a few out of heavier acetate used for overhead transparencies, old technology but the material is still around. If I were cutting heavier plastic I would start low and do a lot of passes. The nice thing is that you can leave the material on the mat and check it then cut a few more times or raise the pressure if you need to. I bought and used the acetate for the front of my Christmas cards and I had no problems with it once I figured out how many passes it needed. I will post a pic once my email decides to stop being stupid.

The Jar is cut from acetate and the inside is a quote from Harlan Miller, "I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janrichards

Postby PennyDuncan » May 14th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Usually when I work with stencil material I use a 60° blade with a force of 200 and 2 passes....I usually do not have any problem........
PennyDuncan

Postby lbartle » May 15th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Penny, thanks! What velocity do you use?
lbartle

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Postby PennyDuncan » May 16th, 2016, 6:03 am

Hey lbartle.....Well I'm of the school faster cuts better.....so if it's not real detailed I'll use full force....if it's detailed I'll probably do like 500 or 600.....
PennyDuncan

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help