Building a Cutting Guide Database and Need Your Help

Building a Cutting Guide Database and Need Your Help

Postby scrappydew » August 21st, 2015, 7:32 pm

Whenever you use your Silver Bullet and you have a successful setting that you use for your material, I would like you to go here and share your settings.

Click Here to Enter Your Data

We will share the results too. That way you can take away guessing and you will know a range to start with for Speed/Pressure/Blade.

If you know your settings already please help us out.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ntwFiu ... E/viewform
"If you always wait until the last minute... then it only takes a minute"
http://www.scrappydew.com
scrappydew

Re: Building a Cutting Guide Database and Need Your Help

Postby Carol in Denver » August 25th, 2015, 11:44 am

Thank you so much scrappydew for starting this database!! And also to everyone who contributes data. If people are generous with their experience, it will go a long way toward filling what is a serious lack of guidance about this amazing machine.
Carol in Denver
Carol in Denver

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby Gigi » August 25th, 2015, 12:40 pm

I am really sorry that you feel that way - and am actually a bit surprised. The learning center is full of knowledge as is the forum - and if there is something you need, you only have to ask.

Even with a database of guides, it is only that - a guide. And just like Penny's that is accessible in the learning center and here on the forum, the forces and blades are suggested guidelines. The best way to learn it to use the test button and find the best force for how you have your blade set. As we have said before - we have people cutting vinyl from a force of 1 to the 40s. It's dependent on the holder height, blade extension - and even the type of vinyl.

I know this database will be helpful for those who want a starting point, but it is still a process that each user needs to determine for themselves. There is no perfect number for every user. (some use the 45 degree for almost everything; some the 60 degree) - and that will alter settings.

I believe we have provided and will continue to provide optimal support. But experience and trial and error, for me, has been the best teacher.

Thanks Rob and Michelle for adding to the information available to all users.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby tamihowse » September 1st, 2015, 4:10 pm

I agree with you, Gigi. This forum has been invaluable. My own settings vary from day to day, depending on many variables, not the least of which are how high I set my blade and how old my blade is. I would see the database as a guideline-a helpful one, but not the Gospel truth. We're all in this together. Fondly, Tami
tamihowse

Cutter: 24" Cougar

Postby Jeepgirlamy » January 19th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Thanks! Amy
Last edited by Jeepgirlamy on June 22nd, 2018, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepgirlamy

Cutter: owner sb15

Postby Suzan » January 19th, 2016, 8:35 pm

Wow I am also amazed. I have been a customer for a very very long time, and I have always received prompt and courteous service. Even if I ask a question that a person who has had her machine for 10 years.

@scrappydew are you looking a variations of vinyl, and flock material for rhinestones and fabric also?
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Soraya » January 30th, 2016, 10:35 pm

I have been off or a long time and now I'm trying to restart playing with my kitty. I'm thankful you're creating a guide. yippee!!!
Soraya

Cutter: Black Cat 15"

Postby mjmrrs206 » February 28th, 2016, 11:12 am

I have looked for the cutting guide, but for some reason I am not seeing it. Am I over looking it or is it somewhere else in the forum. I am getting ready to start cutting and the guide would be so helpful.

Thanks
mjmrrs206

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24" Pro

Postby Gigi » February 28th, 2016, 11:41 am

It is in the learning center under FAQ - about the 8th question down as I recall. The explanation is excellent, and you will see the chart referenced at the end of that section. There are also links through the forum, but this will be the fastest way for you to find it.

And remember - it's just a guide... this was done by Penny Duncan a while ago and is a good starting point, just remember that there are variances based on how much your blade is sticking out, the media you are cutting etc.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby karovic » March 24th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Hi , I am a member in the BC learning center and have not been able to locate the cutting guide in the FAQ. Is it only located in the SB FAQ? Is it possible to locate it on both boards and if it is already, please help me locate it. Thanks much, Carole
karovic

Cutter: 24" Black cat vinyl

Postby Gigi » March 24th, 2016, 1:10 pm

The forum is searchable (just a reminder) and the cutting guide has been posted in many spots on the forum.

Here is a link to the PDF version of the guide viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4382&p=82424&hilit=media+cutting+guide#p82424

What is important to remember is that this is JUST a guide. The best teacher is practice and trial and error. The test button should be your best friend (yes I say this over and over because it's true!!) And using the test button will save you from losing a lot of media while you figure out the force needed.

Users do not set their blades at the exact same height and each machine is a little different - an example - you will see some cutting vinyl at 4 and some at 20. There is no absolute right or wrong. Just take it slow and get used to your machine and all of the things it can do.

And always use the test button when cutting a new material. Keep a notebook of some sort (or store it in SCAL) of what you are cutting and the force used so you will have that to go by when you cut the same thing again.

Hope this is helpful.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby karovic » March 24th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Thank you Gigi.
I searched and looked for quite some time and still couldn't find it. DUH......
I greatly appreciate your help. BTW.... hope you are healing well. Best Regards, Carole
karovic

Cutter: 24" Black cat vinyl

Postby Gigi » March 24th, 2016, 5:40 pm

No problem - sometimes it's just about getting lucky with the words you search for :)

You are very welcome.

And thank you - the healing is VERY slow........ not there yet but hopeful.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby morning-glory » July 25th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Hi! I was just wondering if this data base was updated? thank you for thinking of this
morning-glory

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Postby Gigi » July 25th, 2016, 6:43 pm

I believe this project was abandoned because there were too many variables. Using the guide and keeping a record of what works for you is the best "teacher".

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General