Cutting Speed Inconsistent

Cutting Speed Inconsistent

Postby hipresto » February 27th, 2016, 11:48 am

I am doing a print-and-cut. The cuts are accurate, but the speed of the cuts is totally inconsistent. I am using the machine settings, not the software (though I have tried that, and it doesn't change anything).

I have mainly straight line cuts, so the faster the better (I have over 60 pieces to do.) Within the same cut, it will speed up and slow down. does anybody have any idea why this might be? It is a very cuttable card-weight, and I am making two passes so I don't have to set the pressure too high.

It's taking a looong time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: Cutting Speed Inconsistent

Postby Gigi » February 27th, 2016, 12:36 pm

The fault may be with your design. Did you look at it to see how many nodes you have? Even though you have straight lines, depending on the trace there can be a beginning and end point for a straight line (two nodes) or there can be a dozen or more on that line . You may need to simplify the nodes but look at your design with the nodes and see if you have too many.

You can upload it here (use svg) if you want someone here to look at it. That would be my first guess.

And if it is "cuttable card weight", as you put it, there is no need to do two passes. You can easily cut card stock with one pass. That will save you time right there...
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby hipresto » February 27th, 2016, 2:41 pm

I would agree with you, except that the straight lines I am talking about have only two - on each endpoint. And further, the speed changes from cut to cut, and within a cut, from line segment to line segment. I will upload the .svg file so you can take a look.

invite_final_print_layout_cutlines.svg

Thanks!

-HiPresto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » February 27th, 2016, 5:17 pm

I was thought when I initially saw the tabs that there was an issue with them as the lines are shaky. That means you are going to have a node for each little line within a line, which you do. Look at the two tabs that stick out from the side. It is also a large file at 1.1 mb so there is processing that needs to be done.

You said it's a print and cut. Are you tracing in SCAL or another program? Just curious...

But.......

I just cut it on regular cardstock on force of 70, speed of 710. It hesitated at two of the corners for a split second but then quickly did the rest. I reduced the size just so I didn't have to change my mat - took about 5 seconds to cut - one pass. So the tabs really weren't too much of an issue - it was almost like it was taking a rest at the corner after cutting it! So yes, those tabs are kind of wavy but weren't the issue I thought. You certainly could clean up the file, but they were not the problem I expected....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hipresto » February 29th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I am back to cutting (after taking my mom to the hospital...) and find the same problem as before. I'll cut one of these, and one long line cuts very, very quickly (600 speed). The one going the other way, very slowly. Then, a new piece of card, and cut again. All lines cut slowly, including the one that was fast just the time before.

I have upped the force to 220, and am cutting in one pass now. So, thanks for that. I was hesitant to raise the force high enough for one pass, as I didn't know if wore out the mechanism faster.

I am cutting on an image I digitally printed at Kinko's. I manually laid in the registration marks, and the tight resolution is impressive on this machine.

I have 50 of the 70 left to go, so here I go!!

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » February 29th, 2016, 10:54 pm

There is no way you should be cutting regular cardstock at 220. I didn't tell you that! Are you using the setting guide to set your blade? Do you have a lot of other programs running that might interfere with the memory of the machine. Your cutting should not be inconsistent like you are reporting.

I just looked at your design again. You have two little cut lines that don't have an end node - they are in the same place on opposite side - on the top of the tab where it makes a "v". I didn't see it until I moved the design and saw these two little pieces all alone.

If I understand you, the cuts are not slowing down where the tabs are but on the straight pieces and I see no reason for that. But please don't cut regular cardstock at 220! There is absolutely NO need for that........

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hipresto » March 1st, 2016, 12:41 am

No, you didn't tell me to use that force...I hope I didn't indicate that you had. The stock is Kromekote 12 pt Cover, Coated 1 side. I tried sample cuts at force up to 185, which didn't quite cut all the way through in one pass, which is why I had been doing two passes. I tookk your advice on trying one pass, and 220 did the trick. And no, it is not deeply scoring the mat...in fact, it barely registers at all.

The two little cuts are supposed to be there, and they should have end nodes, as the svg was created in Illustrator, and a line segment must have two nodes to print. I did not reopen the svg to look at the line segments, but I have never had trouble before.

If 220 seems excessive to you, I agree. But I should tell you that brand new out of the box, this cutter seemed to need significantly higher force to cut through papers - even those list on the guide elsewhere on this site. I questioned it at the time, but I was on a deadline, and could not send the cutter back even if that were necessary. I will have to address that issue at a later time. At least it works.

The speed issue is an odd one. When I get a moment, I will test out different configurations. Yes, there are other windows/programs open on my computer, I did not realize that that could affect SCAL.

Also, I suppose it might be a good idea to take a video of the cutter in action, though I can only be assured that I can capture the slow speed at will. The faster cuts come much more infrequently now, and it might take quite a bit of trial and error to catch a video of that occurrence.

Thank you for your continued help. I do hope I get to the bottom of these issues.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » March 1st, 2016, 1:54 pm

I need to come back to this....

In your first post you say that you are working with a very cuttable card stock. If I translate that to me light to medium cardstock, you should be cutting it at anywhere from 60-90 (taking a range because I don't know exactly which you are cutting). And that is very doable with either the 45 or 60 degree blade.

Which blade are you now using?. Did you check it for chips? Did you use the setting tool? Again, there is just no way you should be cutting regular cardstock at that force. Which blade holder are you using? I am trying to eliminate issues.

I spoke with Sherri and she said that if you continue to have problems after addressing all of the things I suggested, please contact her.

Thanks

Gigi
Gigi

Postby AP3 » September 23rd, 2016, 4:15 pm

Deleted
Last edited by AP3 on October 25th, 2016, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AP3

Cutter: 24" SB

Postby Gigi » September 23rd, 2016, 10:01 pm

If you will go through the learning center, there is a section that explains how to create registration marks in another program and computer. You can follow those instructions.

I know you have heard this before, but we highly recommend that you have a good understanding of the machine before you tackle print and cut - it will save a lot of frustration.

There are also videos on the forum and You Tube that explain print and cut in more detail.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General