Cutting Cardboard Tips

Cutting Cardboard Tips

Postby coolhand » February 17th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm wanting to try some cuts on cardboard and I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with that, specifically:

What type of cardboard to use? Do you know a specific brand? What thickness have you used?

What level adhesive to use? Standard or extra Sticky?

What type of blade? I'm guessing a 60 degree plus long blade, that's what I use for 2mm foam and I have no problems with that depth.

Velocity and force settings? Just looking for a general starting point from where I can then tweak.

I have a bunch of home depot cardboard boxes (I'd guess its around 2mm thick) that I'd like to try and I'm wondering if anyone has tried that before. I read the topic on "Blade sticking in cardboard" where the material was too dense and the blade was getting stuck and dragging across the material. Since I don't know the exact type of cardboard that was used, I'm hoping that's not the case with the Home Depot cardboard I have.

The cuts I'm wanting to make aren't that intricate, but it would save me a step if I can have my Silver Bullet do the cutting on the cardboard directly instead of me printing on cardstock and then transferring the design to the cardboard and cutting out by hand.

I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Even if I fail, it's worth a shot. I'll post results (positive or negative) when I'm done. But if anyone has any answers to the above I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
coolhand

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Re: Cutting Cardboard Tips

Postby jobab » February 17th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Use your standard mat not the extra sticky one
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby janrichards » February 19th, 2016, 9:39 am

I highly recommend multiple passes as opposed to setting your force too high. Then you can check before removing it and cut again if necessary. Plus, I find it tears paper less if you do that. I would also take some painters tape and tape down the edges to hold the material in place. I would also use a lower velocity, probably start around 400. Good luck, you should be able to do this with a little experimentation.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby coolhand » February 23rd, 2016, 12:43 pm

Hi Jan & Jobab,

Thanks for the tips! I didn't get a chance to try it out just yet. I ended up working on some foam masks instead. I'm still planning on doing this though and I'll share my results once I've actually got something in hand to show for it.
coolhand

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Postby 4children » February 25th, 2016, 1:04 am

Awesome suggestions! I am always looking forward to experimenting on projects for my grandsons. I can't wait to see how your experiments turn out.
Happy owner of a 24" Silver Bullet!
http://alliescraftgarden.blogspot.com
Pam in Concord, CA
4children

Cutter: 24 inch silver bullet

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help