Stenciling on fabric via freezer paper

Stenciling on fabric via freezer paper

Postby pigtailpat » August 18th, 2015, 5:49 am

My experiment while away was successful. I am attaching how it came out in shiva paintstik. A couple of lessons I learned:

(1) you REALLY need the appropriate stencil brush. Without it, you won't have the correct degree of stiffness to be able to lay the paint on properly;

(2) You need an iron that has NO holes in the back for pressing the freezer paper - I initially tried using a traditional steam iron (because that was what was available while I was away) - when I got home to MY dry iron (no holes) the freezer paper pressing went so much better and the paper adhered much better.

The stencil was cut on the gaz as it was more transportable for away from home. But when I ready to cut for project (mass cutting of stencils), I will use my big mat for the cat. The mat is a bit gouged from prior work, but it should be OK for freezer paper -- especially if I add that long desired 5th wheel (I currently have 4 on my 18" cat). I have a big roll of freezer paper - 18" wide (this is NOT commonly found in the grocery store - an online item), so the plan is to fill the mat with the big roll, and just add as many stencils that will fit that size and cut away. The time away was really great so I could grapple with this new method, and design the stencil itself.

If you don't have a sewing machine that does has modern stitches for applique (i.e. blanket stitch and the like), but you have plotter (a cat, bullet, or whatever else), you do not need to invest further to get modern stitches for applique. All you need is freezer paper, your plotter, paint and brushes and whatever designs are in your head. By stenciling on fabric, you can achieve designs without the need for applique. It is NOT an easier technique, just different.

When I have the full quilt done, I will post again. I will be quite some time as I am only half-done with the assembly of the blocks.

Pat

stencil-experiment.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Stenciling on fabric via freezer paper

Postby MeFlick » August 18th, 2015, 7:37 am

Looking good Pat. Thanks for sharing your information to help others who may wish to work with freezer paper stencils.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » August 18th, 2015, 10:11 am

Beautiful Pat.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MichelleMyBelle » August 21st, 2015, 5:25 pm

very nice Pat, thanks for sharing the information. :D
MichelleMyBelle

Cutter: Pro 18, Foil Master, Platinum 24"

Postby 4children » September 13th, 2015, 10:11 pm

So important to remember. Great job!
Happy owner of a 24" Silver Bullet!
http://alliescraftgarden.blogspot.com
Pam in Concord, CA
4children

Cutter: 24 inch silver bullet

Postby pigtailpat » January 24th, 2016, 9:59 am

An update - I used our snowstorm to get the stenciling under way on this quilt. I have 10 blocks done out of 20 - the whole quilt has 40 blocks - I am stenciling only half - 20 - because I am afraid it will be too busy if I do all of them.

You can see the work thus far here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mtsmjgym0t0f ... 53h3a?dl=0

The combination of freezer paper stencils and the shiva paintstiks are wonderful. It is not messy to apply indoors, and after heat setting, will be permanent and it feels soft to touch. Just another wonderful way of using our plotters - no matter what brand.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby PennyDuncan » January 26th, 2016, 10:03 am

Oh Pat pigtailpat that looks AWESOME!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby 4children » February 5th, 2016, 12:56 am

What an incredible project! Great work!
Happy owner of a 24" Silver Bullet!
http://alliescraftgarden.blogspot.com
Pam in Concord, CA
4children

Cutter: 24 inch silver bullet

Postby pigtailpat » February 5th, 2016, 8:01 am

Thanks so much. I have the quilt top completely constructed at this point. A monster at approx. 60" x 95" [this is the largest top I have ever attempted]. Hopefully with the new larger throat sewing machine, it should be much easier to quilt it. I will post a photo of the completed quilt eventually. The stenciled blocks really makes this project pop. I'm convinced that a plotter is so valuable to have, no matter what brand. The flexibility it gives to the owner is amazing.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby pigtailpat » November 19th, 2016, 8:01 am

My bad, I can see I never post the photo of the complete top. Sorry! All blocks stenciled via plotter cuts of freezer papers.

IMG_1032-downsized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » November 19th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Beautiful job, Pat.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Masterpieces