Looking at getting silver bullet

Looking at getting silver bullet

Postby mary1956 » December 2nd, 2015, 7:05 pm

Hi All, I just spoke to Sherry and she is a sweetheart. But I wanted to get your input before I take the leap. I'm looking at purchasing the silver bullet to cut Mylar and vinyl stencils. But mostly reusable mylar as we don't really have anyone in my area making the ones I like. So I thought, why not become that person and go into business. So what are the pros and cons of this machine. I have not cut stencils before so this would all be new to me. I own a mac. I Would really like to hear from you. Thanks!!!
mary1956

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Looking at getting silver bullet

Postby MeFlick » December 2nd, 2015, 9:10 pm

Hi Mary and welcome aboard. I cut vinyl and have cut some stencil material before with my cutter. Both cut easily with the SB. Not sure if you have used another cutter before or not. If so, it operates differently then some of the smaller, less expensive home crafting machines. It will work on a Mac with the SCAL software. There is a learning curve to it and the SCAL program so don't go into it expecting to be out the door and selling the day you get it. I highly recommend that you download the trial version of SCAL and see if you understand how it works. Rob at Scrappydew.com has put together a SCAL Classroom program that can be purchased to help in the learning curve. use the Learning Center here and make the test button your friend.

Peruse the forum here and the gallery and see what people have done with their machines. There are plenty of threads that discuss the benefits of owning a SB. those reasons are all still valid today. As we are right in the midst of the major holiday season - its kinda slow around here as most people are busy with all things holiday related and hopefully working those cutters for cards and gifts! ;) If you have a specific question you would like answered, ask it and we will try to answer though!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby mary1956 » December 3rd, 2015, 9:41 am

Thank you Meflick for your advice. Right night I have a silhouette cameo. Which is good at cutting vinyl but I can't get a good cut on thicker Mylar. I will check into the gallery as you suggested. Also, SCAL. You're right about it being the holiday season. I'm sure people are majorly busy!

Also, thanks for the welcome. :)
mary1956

Postby MeFlick » December 3rd, 2015, 10:33 am

The thickness of the mylar or craft plastic or stencil material will be the key to any cutter being able to cut it. The thicker it is, the harder it will be to cut obviously but you can also use the multicut feature to cut thicker items. If you can give us the thickness you want to cut or talk to Sherri and see if she has already test cut the material in question then we could better answer. There is also a longer detail blade that can be purchased that can help as well.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby pigtailpat » December 3rd, 2015, 11:22 am

The stencil or mylar is not the problem - that media is easy for the cougar or silver bullet. The difficulty lies in creating channels for the images to be cut from the media in the software. With the new stencil bridge ability in SCAL 4, it is less difficult, but it does take QUITE a bit of skill, which has a learning curve. Start with very simple images, and graduate to more complex curves. My advice: purchase SCAL 4 in advance of the cutter (even though it is an extra cost - it is worth it believe me) and play in the software for quite a bit and ask on this board as to how something will cut, and you can ask people here to test cut for you - to get an idea of what you are dreaming about can be a reality. Once you master creation of channels for stencils in the software, THEN you are ready to purchase the machine, because then you will know it can be accomplished. This is NOT a machine limitation, this is much more a software issue, and being able to create those stencil channels for complex images is not an easy task. You have to thoroughly understand how shadow layer works, and to what depth you need to set your shadow layer, and how to create stencil bridges within SCAL 4 so that the cut is retained and not completely separated from your media (i.e. that the positive piece is retained into the negative piece). It can be done, but requires patience and a learning curve. If you know you are a fast software learner and have prior experience with vectors, you probably could make the leap and learn both (software and machine) at the same time. If you are a complete newbie with no vector experience, you might get frustrated in learning how to create the stencil channels and the accompanying bridges to cut properly and learn the machine at the same time. Stencils are a completely different animal, and requires thought to have that positive piece retained. Please understand I am referring to stencils that have a channel and path into which a pencil can be inserted to trace, or paint can be sprayed upon to create the image. I am NOT referring to a template, which is a completely separated positive piece, that can be traced or painted around. Many people refer to templates as stencils, when they are really templates.

I know some may disagree with my advice on this board. I know for myself, if I had not have the prior vector experience and so many helpful people guiding me over the years, including Dawn, Rachel and Terri, I never would have understood the whole concept of what stencils are about. I consider this a concept on the more difficult side.

Pat

[EDIT: I see you have a cameo/silhoutte - my advice is even STRONGER to get SCAL 4 in advance - play with the software and test cut your designs in regular paper on the cameo/silhouette - so you can get the concept down as to how to create true stencil designs. Once you really have that down - then buy the machine - there are limits to thickness you can cut - you will have to get mylar that is around 1 mm - 1.5 [with 1.5 being the top end of machine spec] - thicker might be doable with multicut - but curves are difficult the thicker your media is.]
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby mary1956 » December 3rd, 2015, 4:32 pm

Thank you Pat. Great idea about getting SCAL 4 first. I will do that. Yes, I've been trying to cut stencils on my cameo and learning how to create them so they flow (bridges and channels) is something I guess you learn with experience. My cameo cut's Vinyl great but it struggles with the thicker Mylar material. As you have said, with the thicker material and curves and it having a lot of difficulty. I'm pretty much self taught and haven't had a whole lot of experience with Vectors. I know I have A lot to learn.... But I'm up for the challenge. Wish there was a class locally so I could get hands on experience too.
mary1956

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help