Overcut

Overcut

Postby jwenzler » February 12th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Hello everyone in the forums, I just have a quick question, I tried searching, hope it hasn't been asked before.

We are cutting some more complicated patterns and used to use a Silhouette machine. With that machine we set overcut and we are comfortable with how those settings work.

When attempting to set overcut on the SB through Sure Cuts a Lot 4 we don't seem to actually see it happening.

I have even tried setting to extreme values like 5mm, half a centimeter, where we would clearly see the extra cut, but no luck. Is this setting available with the SB?

I attached images of the cutter settings screens. I have noticed that the checkbox for overcut is not available on my software, which seems to be on other machines.

I really appreciate any help or insight :)

Thank you,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwenzler

Cutter: 24" Pro

Re: Overcut

Postby Gigi » February 13th, 2015, 11:27 am

There is no check box for overcut. Not sure what you mean. The second picture you posted is more about how your machine reads the settings (inch or mm) and the offset there refers to the registration marks....

I am more curious about your settings posted in the first picture. Are you really using 223 to cut something? What material are you trying to cut? Seems to me that if you are cutting something that thick you would get better results at a lower force and multi-cut. So would love to have a little more information on what material you are trying to cut. That is an awfully high pressure.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby jwenzler » February 23rd, 2015, 11:57 am

Hello, we are cutting thick glitter cardstock that has a vinyl type backing.

The cut itself seems okay, I guess my true question is if the machine supports overcut? If it does, I must be missing something since I am unable to see any overcut even with overcut setting turned very high.

Sorry my reply took so long I had forgot to mark to notify me on replies.

Thank you,
John
jwenzler

Postby Gigi » February 23rd, 2015, 12:09 pm

Yes the machine supports overcut.

As I mentioned before, I am more concerned about your settings. And if you are cutting thick glitter cardstock, if it is smooth glitter that is one thing. If it is chunky glitter, that will dull your blades quickly and you also run the risk of a piece of metal flying into the machine. Many who cut glitter card stock, even though we do not recommend it, put the glitter side down to get better cuts and protect the glitter from "flying". I know you said you were getting good cuts, and I dont know how thick "thick" is, but just saying be careful.

If it is truly "thick", perhaps you should be using the 60 degree plus blade. Again - I dont know how thick you mean. If you can share more info perhaps we can give better info.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jwenzler » February 23rd, 2015, 12:28 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the input, I will have to try to figure out why overcut is not working for us then. The problem isn't only with thick cardstock, we cut all sorts of materials as we have an online business and sell many orders daily. Even with thin paper and very low pressure settings we see 0 overcut with any setting through sure cuts a lot. I have attempted this from two different computers (one Windows and one Mac) without any overcut being applied from machine.

I have tried every blade and every holder with just about every setting for pressure and speed. Our cuts at this point are acceptable and we are able to get orders out, but overcut is crucial for us to avoid having chads on some more detailed cuts.

Any advice on how to get this working? Could it be a defect in the machine that it is not receiving the overcut instructions or is there a way to test the overcut directly from the machine?
jwenzler

Postby Gigi » February 23rd, 2015, 12:57 pm

I sent it to Brandon at Craftedge (SCAL) to see what his thoughts are on this.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » March 2nd, 2015, 2:59 am

jwenzler

I think Brandon figured out your issue. He believes it is a difference in how the Silhouette software does overcut and how SCAL does it. I think he did a great job of explaining it and hopefully the screen shot below will help.

"I've attached an image where if I'm cutting a box that starts in the top left and goes clockwise:

I believe the Silhouette software will extend the last cut, so when it goes around the square and heads back up to the top left, the overcut will cause it to extend up as shown in the left image

SCAL will continue the shape, so in this case it will follow the path to the right again as shown in the right image

- Brandon
http://www.craftedge.com"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jwenzler » March 2nd, 2015, 10:13 am

Ah, very interesting! Thanks so much for all of your help :)

-John
jwenzler

Postby Gigi » March 2nd, 2015, 10:13 am

You are very welcome. I hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General