Black Cat Foil Master vs Samsung Laser Printer

Black Cat Foil Master vs Samsung Laser Printer

Postby JanScissorHand » October 9th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I bought a Samsung C460 Laser Printer and have copied an image to use in the foil master. I have put the toner on the darkest setting and it claims to be "up to 2400 x 600 dpi". Should I try to return my this laser printer, scanner and copier?
JanScissorHand

Cutter: 24 inch Silver Bullet

Re: Black Cat Foil Master vs Samsung Laser Printer

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2014, 9:10 pm

You didn't say what happened??? I know nothing about samsung, but you want a pure black setting (vs color) at the highest DPI and thickest medium so you get a heavy outlay of toner.

What happened when you ran it through the FoilMaster? Your heat could be too hot or too low. Your sandwich could be too thick - lots of variables. Need more details and we will try to help!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby JanScissorHand » October 10th, 2014, 9:38 am

Thanks Gigi... Sorry I wasn't so clear. The foil on the finished image is sketchy. I have the heat set up to 199 on the BC foil master. I am also not catching the detail especially around the edges. My copier can not take cardstock heavier than 32lbs so I was using copier paper. I have the setting on the darkest. I've tried different sandwiches.. cardstock and copier paper. Ideally, I'd like to print on at least 65 lb cardstock. I have tried different settings on the copier - i.e. Normal and Photo. Not sure how to get the best DPI. The copier says it can go up to 2400 x 600 dpi. Do you think I need a different copier/printer?
JanScissorHand

Cutter: 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » October 10th, 2014, 9:51 am

Right now I think your heat is WAY too high for the copy paper. I always thought that the hotter the better but that is not true at all - I learned that one the hard way . It's the way I learn most things! :banghead: For instance, when I foil acrylic the machine is at 155 with copy paper on top. Before ditching the printer (again I have no clue on this printer as most of us a Brother Monochrome or HP), it may well be your foilmaster settings. copy paper is super lightweight so just sandwich with more copy paper and put it in landscape which will reduce the likelihood of wrinkling. I would try maybe 140 and see what happens - just guessing. Maybe someone who had been successful with copy paper can give you a better number. Print some small images and try them at different temps writing down which is which.

Also, I assume you are using a quality foil? That makes a huge difference as well.

Back to the printer - rereading that. First of all, if you want to print on heavier and it won't let you - well that may be your answer there - you will never get what you want on a heavier cardstock. As far as printer settings, you should be able to customize your printer settings. Look for an advanced option when the printer menu opens up - I have mine customized and rename them foiling so I just click on that and get the best coverage. Again, I dont know Samsung, but with most printers you can select your individual DPI and the media you you are printing to.

Some things to try - but again - if it won't print on the heavier cardstock and that is what you ideally want, it may not be the best printer for you. That's a decision only you can make. But in the meantime I would play around and see if you can get good results. Also sure you have chosen the BLACK mode rather than color as even with black under color, you won't get a pure black. Does that make sense??

Holler if this is clear as mud and I will try again!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » October 13th, 2014, 9:53 am

I agree with Gigi about the heat setting. I'm guessing you are getting some wrinkling of the foil due to the high heat, which will definitely affect your foil adherence.

Before replacing the printer, I would do lots of experimenting with different heat settings and sandwiches. I get the best results if at least one of my sandwich layers is cardstock, rather than copy weight paper. I would suggest bottom and top layers of lightweight cardstock, with your printed image and foil between. I would start with a setting of 180 or so for this sandwich. If you do use copy weight paper for your sandwich, you won't get good results if you try to reuse it with wrinkles in it. It needs to be perfectly flat.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Off Topic