Forum Challenge – Oct. 1 2013

Re: Forum Challenge – Oct. 1 2013

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 1:18 pm

PennyDuncan wrote:Okie Dokie.....I took my hand at the challenge...here's what I came up with......hard to get a good picture.....but the design wraps all around the holder.....
PDC Altered Candle Holder 10062013 (1).jpg

PDC Altered Candle Holder 10062013 (3).jpg

PDC Altered Candle Holder 10062013 (2).jpg

Beautiful Penny!!

I will have to tell you Penny I was doing some serious thinking about you for a couple days last week. I know that sounds a little crazy right :shock: :shock: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

But here is the medium size story....lol...because the plan is for short version...but that never works...lol

So...I was telling a friend that she really needed to use GIMP...so after a LONG time of me saying this...she decided to. Watched a couple of my tutorials...etc. So now she is selling collage sheets too (which I don't have a problem with at all....). What bugged me was that we are on the same DT and in our Closed group she posts her "1st Collage Sheet" and goes into how she had watched the videos on youtube...and that she was so frustrated because they didn't help her at all....that she had to just learn it on her own (because she downloaded the updated version, which has a few things different...but tools work the same). So...she just learned it all on her own. No mention that I suggested it...or that she watched my tutorial on working with layers...and tools....none of that. She is not a computer person...and there is no way she would just know to save something as a GIF or XCF file...or what DPI...etc. Here I have all kinds of other peeps that still watch my tutorials and say how they helped :0). Just kind of rubbed me wrong...and then I thought of you and how you shared all your free things...and videos...and how you had to deal with peeps not being so friendly. I thought what would Penny do....LOL...so I am dealing with it...lol...and being a nice person and not letting it bug me :0) So thanks for all your hard work girlie...and for being who you are...because I knew if I were to ask you advice or anything about what to do....I know how you would answer :0). It is just so hard sometimes....when you do free things...and you know someone gets something out of it...and yet they don't even say THANK YOU...they have to go out of their way...to say how you did nothing to help them.

So...that was not as long as I thought....LOL. Thank goodness I am blessed with a healthy and happy family....so only silly things like this can get to me :D :D
MyArtisticAdventures

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 24 inch

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 1:21 pm

oops...forgot to hit the notify me....lol
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2013, 2:39 pm

What an absolutely beautiful post, Heather. I, for one, am really glad you shared that. Penny has certainly dealt with that and more over the years and has dealt with all of it with grace. She is a great example for all of us.

And good for you for helping someone - so many don't even take the time to do that. Unfortunately, there are a lot of ungrateful people in this world who just expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter, and then they don't even say thank you.

Just stay your sweet helpful self - sometimes the gratitude comes in unexpected ways......

It's nice to see you on the forum again. You have been missed. :bighug:

PS: And thank you for your kind comment :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » October 9th, 2013, 2:51 pm

You're welcome, Heather! I really love your projects!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Thank you Gigi and Elizabeth!!

I have missed being here. I have been busy in some other forums...and design teams, but one of them decided to close...so I am not picking up any other teams.....so I can focus on doing more with my self....lol. I really need to get back to using my cutter :0) I am looking at blades right now...figuring out what I want :D

I'm checking out Jo's videos :0)
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby MeFlick » October 9th, 2013, 4:30 pm

MyArtisticAdventures wrote:. . . so I am heading over to order some blades from Sherri...which I did a while back...and put them somewhere....can't find them (being a slob is such a bummer sometimes). :roll: :roll:
. . .

;) Well, if you are like me - as soon as you went and ordered new ones from Sherri - you found (or will find) the ones you previously ordered and now can't find! :D Good luck with getting back to cutting!

Thanks Ladies for sharing your projects. They all look great. DD's school VB season has been keeping me from most crafting of late. We are now into the State Playoff run so all will be done by the end of the month. Then maybe I will find some crafting time! ;) In the meantime, I live vicariously through your crafting! ;)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 4:50 pm

MeFlick wrote:
MyArtisticAdventures wrote:. . . so I am heading over to order some blades from Sherri...which I did a while back...and put them somewhere....can't find them (being a slob is such a bummer sometimes). :roll: :roll:
. . .

;) Well, if you are like me - as soon as you went and ordered new ones from Sherri - you found (or will find) the ones you previously ordered and now can't find! :D Good luck with getting back to cutting!

Thanks Ladies for sharing your projects. They all look great. DD's school VB season has been keeping me from most crafting of late. We are now into the State Playoff run so all will be done by the end of the month. Then maybe I will find some crafting time! ;) In the meantime, I live vicariously through your crafting! ;)

I got some in my cart....but I am going to look one more time when I get home from work. we will see how that goes!!
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby PennyDuncan » October 9th, 2013, 6:11 pm

MyArtisticAdventures wrote:
PennyDuncan wrote:Okie Dokie.....I took my hand at the challenge...here's what I came up with......hard to get a good picture.....but the design wraps all around the holder.....

Beautiful Penny!!

I will have to tell you Penny I was doing some serious thinking about you for a couple days last week. I know that sounds a little crazy right :shock: :shock: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

But here is the medium size story....lol...because the plan is for short version...but that never works...lol

So...I was telling a friend that she really needed to use GIMP...so after a LONG time of me saying this...she decided to. Watched a couple of my tutorials...etc. So now she is selling collage sheets too (which I don't have a problem with at all....). What bugged me was that we are on the same DT and in our Closed group she posts her "1st Collage Sheet" and goes into how she had watched the videos on youtube...and that she was so frustrated because they didn't help her at all....that she had to just learn it on her own (because she downloaded the updated version, which has a few things different...but tools work the same). So...she just learned it all on her own. No mention that I suggested it...or that she watched my tutorial on working with layers...and tools....none of that. She is not a computer person...and there is no way she would just know to save something as a GIF or XCF file...or what DPI...etc. Here I have all kinds of other peeps that still watch my tutorials and say how they helped :0). Just kind of rubbed me wrong...and then I thought of you and how you shared all your free things...and videos...and how you had to deal with peeps not being so friendly. I thought what would Penny do....LOL...so I am dealing with it...lol...and being a nice person and not letting it bug me :0) So thanks for all your hard work girlie...and for being who you are...because I knew if I were to ask you advice or anything about what to do....I know how you would answer :0). It is just so hard sometimes....when you do free things...and you know someone gets something out of it...and yet they don't even say THANK YOU...they have to go out of their way...to say how you did nothing to help them.

So...that was not as long as I thought....LOL. Thank goodness I am blessed with a healthy and happy family....so only silly things like this can get to me :D :D

Oh what a TREASURE you are Heather!!!!! Your post makes me smile because I know exactly how you are feeling...and you're right it is hard sometimes.....but I can say that when I wasn't sharing them I felt worse....because I truly felt and feel it's a way the Lord uses me for HIS will in trying to help others......that's how I was able to get past it......there are SO MANY out there who KNOW the immense amount of work you've put into what you do......I can tell you your videos are VERY helpful!!!!! I consider you the QUEEN of Gimp!!!! Quite often I will get emails from people I've never heard of before thanking me for sharing my files or for old old old videos that I've shared and it truly makes it all worth it for me.....I'm sure you are the same way.......

You and Gigi are so amazing for the beautiful words you've said about me....but I'm nothing special...just someone hoping to help others find their passion for ART...because to me it's such a fulfilling time in my life when I create!!! Thank you both...I love you dearly..and I pray you never change Heather and don't let those that take take take and never give thanks break who you are....they don't deserve that attention from you!!!! You are an amazing lady and TRULY TRULY gifted!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 6:29 pm

PennyDuncan wrote:
MyArtisticAdventures wrote:

Beautiful Penny!!

Oh what a TREASURE you are Heather!!!!! Your post makes me smile because I know exactly how you are feeling...and you're right it is hard sometimes.....but I can say that when I wasn't sharing them I felt worse....because I truly felt and feel it's a way the Lord uses me for HIS will in trying to help others......that's how I was able to get past it......there are SO MANY out there who KNOW the immense amount of work you've put into what you do......I can tell you your videos are VERY helpful!!!!! I consider you the QUEEN of Gimp!!!! Quite often I will get emails from people I've never heard of before thanking me for sharing my files or for old old old videos that I've shared and it truly makes it all worth it for me.....I'm sure you are the same way.......

You and Gigi are so amazing for the beautiful words you've said about me....but I'm nothing special...just someone hoping to help others find their passion for ART...because to me it's such a fulfilling time in my life when I create!!! Thank you both...I love you dearly..and I pray you never change Heather and don't let those that take take take and never give thanks break who you are....they don't deserve that attention from you!!!! You are an amazing lady and TRULY TRULY gifted!!!!

See....I knew that is what you would say!! :bighug: The funny thing is...it bugged me for like two days...(actually more but that is soooo embarrassing :hide: :hide: ...) then Sunday morning I woke up...and thought...you know what...I am happiest when I am helping other people :D I LOVE it when I get thank you comments...etc....and instantly....I was all happy again....crazy isn't it.

Penny...you are very special :0) Honestly.....I hardly know you....and yet anytime I am frustrated with something I do think of you.....because I know that your answer will be the RIGHT answer...the answer I really want....but am not ready to hear....because I am still in "I'm upset mode." I would love it if I could find a way to just skip the bad feelings and move directly to Happy mode. So much time is wasted in "Upset mode" especially when I know I will be over it in a day. I just can't stay upset with people..... :D So Thank you :0)
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby PennyDuncan » October 9th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Oh Heather....you are too amazing!!!! Thank you sweetie..so much for your comment.....not sure I have the right answer all the time...but it's what feels right to me....and you know.....I REALLY think we have to go through those "bad...upset" feelings to bring us to the true reasons why we do what we do on sharing....because we get to feel the feeling of true happiness and satisfaction of helping others.....and knowing that maybe in some small part we "might" have made a difference.....?? If that makes sense!!! Thank you sweetie!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby LisaH » October 9th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Thanks Heather, it's fantastic to see you here again!!! You have been missed. ;)

Anything I have learned or figured out in Gimp has been from you. So, my dear sweet lady, I thank you and hope you continue to provide instruction. MWAH
LisaH

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Thank you Lisa...and Penny :0)

Lisa...I really need to do some updated GIMP tutorials.....as soon as I get some time :0) LOL!!

I was just watching one of Penny's Ink Scape ones...I use it for sign cut....just use the tools that I know work similar to gimp...so I figure if I watch them...I will sure learn something. :grouphug:
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2013, 9:48 pm

On list of things to do..... Download GIMP and watch Heather's videos!! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 9th, 2013, 9:58 pm

LOL GIgi :0)
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby PennyDuncan » October 10th, 2013, 6:55 am

Yes Gigi...you'll LOVE Heather's tutorials...she makes using Gimp (which I find to be very confusing) super simple to use!!!! I had no idea where to find a lot of the settings Heather uses until I watched her tutorials!!!! And for a FREE program...it really is AWESOME!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 10th, 2013, 7:22 am

LOL...Penny....thanks :0)

I had to have my hubby explain to me the difference between inkscape and GIMP ....I was used to working with dots...not lines :0)...so when I started using Inkscape...I was all confused, I just kind of muddle my way through it...but I found your tutorials yesterday (inkscape ones) that I had not seen ...so I will check them out...because I always pick up something...sometimes an easier way to do what I was already doing...lol...then some things I was clueless about. Like...key functions...so when I am doing an outline, instead of having to drag my line around to move my viewing area...now I can just use my control and arrow keys....LOL....:0)
MyArtisticAdventures

Postby Angel135612 » October 10th, 2013, 1:06 pm

All the projects so far are great... I love seeing what every one is doing.
Heather, I will be checking out your tutorials as soon as I get home from vacation (sitting in the airport as I type). I downloaded GIMP awhile ago, but couldn't figure it out, so can't wait to see your tutorials.
Love Pennys tutorials on Inkscape, that is what helped me pick up on some things quickly and at least get familiar with the program, then was able to figure out other things as I went along. But I love the job both Heather and Penny do (and every one else on this forum) in helping others learn how to do things, and not just do it for them.
I'm hoping when I get home I will have a chance to do this challenge, before time runs out. I have a few more days of vacation before I have to go back to work and after this trip I need to relax and do something crafty. I should have known from the beginning of our trip, it was going to be an adventure, and not always in a good way.

Our flight from Colo Spgs to Denver was late, so we missed our connecting flight, had to fly into Dulles to get a flight to Montreal. Got into Montreal at midnight, instead of 4 PM then had to drive a couple of hours to our resort. What fun at night, not knowing where we were going and couldn't see anything. While in Montreal, we were at the Botanic Gardens, and our rental car was broken into. Nothing really important in there, but I had left my tote bag in the back, and it had our passports in it. Other than that, nothing that can't be replaced easily. (At least my wallet with my ID and CCs was in my pocket, and I had left my phone at the room, so they really didn't get much of anything). Tried to file a report with the police, and the officer wouldn't even talk to us until she had waited on other people that came in after us, and of course after the US Consulate had closed for the day. She wouldn't even write a report because we didn't have our passport numbers and couldn't get them since the consulate was closed. So we took the rental car back to the airport, and exchanged it for another, they said it happens all the time and they weren't even bothered by it. And the reaction of the police didn't surprise them either.
The next day we managed to get to the Consulate, and got emergency passports so we could fly home today, and now I'm sitting in the Denver airport waiting for our flight to Colo Spgs, which is delayed about an hour... so the trip is ending the same way it began.... I am just glad to be getting home and will definately spend some time being crafty this weekend.
Dans insurance should cover the car window, and hopefully the cost of the passports, so we won't be out any extra money. We have decided we won't be going back to Montreal in the future.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » October 11th, 2013, 5:50 am

Oh WOW Diane...What an ORDEAL!!! You've earned several days at home to create before going back to work....LOL You need a vacation from your vacation!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby Elizabeth » October 11th, 2013, 8:49 am

Yikes! Sorry that you had a bad travel experience, Diane.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby MyArtisticAdventures » October 11th, 2013, 8:54 am

I think I would of freaked out...I don't travel much, and I would of been clueless as to what to do! You definitely deserve some crafty time Diane!!
MyArtisticAdventures

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges