Just had to share what I did this weekend! Graphic Added

Just had to share what I did this weekend! Graphic Added

Postby Elizabeth » July 29th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Hi Everyone!

This weekend, I spent many hours in my parents' attic, collecting little tidbits to use in collage and mixed media projects, as well as scanning and organizing photos and letters. I found some terrific pieces, and have already started my first project. (No photos, yet, sorry!) My parents live on the farm that was purchased and cleared by my mother's family in the 1840's, so there are many, many treasures of varying ages stashed in the attic. I barely made a dent in the work (fun work, though) that needs doing, so there will be many more trips in my future to complete it.

Just had to share with people that would appreciate it, that I picked hundreds of tiny dead fly parts out of a tin box full of cancelled stamps with a pair of tweezers from my brothers 1970's manicure set! The tweezers came home with me, too! In the same box was a hand cut bird graphic. Obviously, I am not the first paper crafter in my family. Can't wait to use it in a project!

Here is a JPEG of a card that I scanned, in case anyone would like to grab it. A cleaned up version is available if you Google "girl riding bird" and choose images. I prefer it this way, with 100 years of attic aging.

Although it is not copyrighted, I ask that you don't share the image with others. I would like to keep it within our SB/Black Cat family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elizabeth on July 30th, 2013, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Just had to share what I did this weekend!

Postby PennyDuncan » July 29th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Oh Elizabeth...how exciting that must have been...what a treasure trove you've found and to have so much history behind it....You lucky lucky gal!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » July 29th, 2013, 2:50 pm

OMG Elizabeth! That had to be so much fun - what a treasure on so many levels - not just the goodies but knowing that paper crafting is in your blood!! I love that!

And how lucky for your parents to have lived in that home with so much history and love. Incredible!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby LisaH » July 29th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Elizabeth, I know you are beside yourself with the awesomness of your discoveries and the ones to come! I can hardly wait to see the gathered treasures combined into more treasures for future generations.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Elsa » July 29th, 2013, 3:05 pm

You ARE lucky. What a find! I wouldn't even mind the dead fly parts.
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Postby Elizabeth » July 29th, 2013, 3:28 pm

I wouldn't even mind the dead fly parts.

Well, to be honest, I was "this" close to putting them in a bottle with a vintage label and using them as a Halloween decoration. My mother's look of horror when I mentioned it stopped me! :ROFLMBO:

Yes, I am very grateful to have access to all of this stuff, and that my parents so willingly give it to me. No one else in my family is interested. I always tell my mom that the stuff Is on loan, and that I would happily give it back or pass it on to any cousins or siblings that want it. No one has taken me up on the offer, though.

I get a total thrill out of finding things like my Grandmother's wedding dress, and their marriage license. Now I need to find some acid free storage for them. They are amazing well preserved, considering how they have been stored. (I didn't take those things. They belong where they are.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Angel135612 » July 29th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!!!! That would be so much fun to look through something like that. Cant wait to see what you make with it all.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby pigtailpat » July 29th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Wow from the 1840"s? AMAZING! I will bet you will unearth really long forgotten stuff, and it WOULD NOT surprise me if you unearth a quilt or handmade items long forgotten. You should take photos as you go along. I really would be interested in what you find.

Pat

EDIT: A good place to start research on the conservation/preservation issues is Tallas, a place in brooklyn, ny. They have alot of information on their site. I think it was spelled Tallas, now I am not sure. I will find out and post again for you.

Second EDIT: It is Talas - sorry - here is the link: http://www.talasonline.com/

Third EDIT: Sorry I thought this so fascinating. Conservation of wedding dresses is a big thing. The royal family's oldest dress is from 1816 and they still conserve it. It was SO interesting for me to read, I thought you guys would like to read too. http://www.queenvictoria.victoriana.com ... Dress.html
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Elizabeth » July 29th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for the info, Pat. I wish I had taken my camera. DD had her ipod, and we took a few photos of her trying on my mom's 60 's and 70's clothes. She looked pretty sweet in a coral colored polyester pant suit!

Considering that Grammie's dress was never preserved, and is now in a shoe box (eek!), it is in really good condition. The attic is very dry, which helps. The biggest issue is the aforementioned flies, but they don't really do much harm, they are just unpleasant. The dress is not nearly so fancy as the Royal gowns, but it is special to our family. I hope I can find a photo of her in it, but since they eloped, I'm not sure there is one.

Elizabeth

Postby Elsa » July 29th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Well, to be honest, I was "this" close to putting them in a bottle with a vintage label and using them as a Halloween decoration. My mother's look of horror when I mentioned it stopped me! :ROFLMBO:

OK, that is funny. Just thinking of what my family would say makes me :ROFLMBO:
Elsa

Cutter: 13" Black Cat Cougar

Re: Just had to share what I did this weekend! Graphic Added

Postby Christen » August 2nd, 2013, 11:00 am

Family history and collections...from the 1840's...Wow. The more I read here, the more I love..... L-U-C-K-Y ! Sending out intent that you will have plenty of time to give attention to the details of the hunt.
Just visited your site and put a face to things I have been seeing around. Love the fall leaves using distressed inks, and I am a pushover for embossing. Love the embossed floral card.
Christen

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional Series

Postby Elizabeth » August 2nd, 2013, 3:15 pm

Thanks, Christen! I appreciate the kind words, and the positive energy sent my way! I had time to play today, thanks to the very kind mother of DD's friend and drivers' ed partner, who offered to pick up and deliver so that I could play in my craft room.

Elizabeth

Postby Christen » August 4th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Yaaaaaay!
Christen

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional Series

Postby Retta » August 5th, 2013, 9:00 am

Wow what a gift. Elizabeth, with Amish relatives I would have felt so blessed to be given the chance to just scan some things. I can imagine all the fun and treasures. Thank you for sharing with us!!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Nensiraul » December 16th, 2015, 9:44 pm

Every day is really good, I can imagine how happy you are.
Nensiraul

Cutter: 5241

Return to Off Topic