Foil Master questions

Foil Master questions

Postby Angel135612 » July 24th, 2011, 8:15 pm

I was wondering if any one has tried printing out a background in color, with a design in black on top of it, and if so, how that worked. I want to try doing it, but I need to wait until I get more foil... so thought I would ask to see if any one has tried that.

Also, would it work to print the black on a patterned paper or colored cardstock. Would the black be black enough or does it need to be done on white??
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Foil Master questions

Postby CaseysAngel » July 24th, 2011, 10:36 pm

it should do great but don't use a LASER on the background if you don't want it to foil and you may need to print twice to make sure the black is dark enough over the color to get a good foil
CaseysAngel

Postby Angel135612 » July 24th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Okay, well then I guess I won't be able to.. we got rid of our inkjet printers and only have Laser now. That is why I was wondering if it would be okay to do it in color rather than black.
Angel135612

Postby PennyDuncan » July 24th, 2011, 10:39 pm

I think you could DEFINATELY try it.....I say that because when I tried foiled a colored image I had done with my Color Laser printer it did NOT stick to it........so I say give it a whirl!!! just might work!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kim » July 24th, 2011, 10:43 pm

I was going to try doing our company logo tomorrow. It is blue with a shadow and I want the shadow to be in foil. I'll let you know how that turns out.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Angel135612 » July 24th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Thanks Penny... I was hoping someone had printed in color and foiled something, even if it wasn't intentional... so when I get some more time, I will give it a go.

Thanks Kim... I will be looking forward to hearing about your results.
Angel135612

Postby CaseysAngel » July 24th, 2011, 10:48 pm

weird. I assumed it would stick to ANY laser ink.

I'd test it for you honey but My laser is only black and white so I can't.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » July 24th, 2011, 11:06 pm

CaseysAngel wrote:weird. I assumed it would stick to ANY laser ink.

I'd test it for you honey but My laser is only black and white so I can't.

No it doesn't. When I first printed an image the black was on color, not black and white - and the foil would not stick (it did a little because I think there was some black in there - but not much.

That's a really cool idea. Will give it a try too! Thanks Diane for getting us to think about different concepts.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Angel135612 » July 24th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Your welcome Gigi.. I'm good at coming up with some ideas.. just never get around to trying them.. LOL
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » July 25th, 2011, 2:55 am

Whether the foil sticks to colour laser print very much depends on the printer - with some it will and with others it won't
Thyme

Postby CaseysAngel » July 25th, 2011, 7:50 am

Thyme wrote:Whether the foil sticks to colour laser print very much depends on the printer - with some it will and with others it won't

Great information. Thanks Dawn.

I guess everyone gets to be their own ginny pig. hehee!!! :ROFLMBO:
CaseysAngel

Postby kim » July 25th, 2011, 11:37 am

Okay, here are my results...I use a Brother Laser Printer. I would think it would have something to do with the composition of the ink formula.

I printed our company logo which is a dark blue. There is a shadow, which is grey but I tried and failed to get it to change to black. So I went ahead and printed it the original way.
All of it foiled with the two foils.....One from Dawn, the other from Foil Max

A new logo with just the dark blue and a black outline..........all of it foiled for the both foils tested

A jpg file I have which is hunter orange and black........all of it foiled for the both foils.

A lighter pastel image.....only the really light areas did not foil....Dawn's foiled more area, the Foil Max not as much, but still not on just the black area.

Then I tested the goid foil for both Dawn's and FoilMax on the same run through....just to test coverage and "foilness" (new word here) and Dawn's gets better coverage at lower heat, but fairly similar
The gold foil seems to take higher heat than the other colors I tested. I'm not sure until I try some more, but i don't think I would get the goid from FoilMax, although the other color gave me great coverage. The gold just didn't do as well. Same with Dawn's as far as the other colors gave great coverage but the gold took a higher heat before it did, but it did give great coverage.

So my conclusion....not that it surprises me...is, I think Dawn has the better foil, but Foil Max will do. I had already decided that whatever colors Dawn had, that I would order from her. It's only the colors that she doesn't carry that I was going to order from Foil Max. But since I had samples of the gold from both, decided to see what the comparison would be. I think all of knew the outcome of this anyway.....Dawn only carries the BEST.
kim

Postby kim » July 25th, 2011, 11:46 am

But as for the question of only foiling certain areas, I think this is going to take some doing. When working with two printers, one inkjet and one laser, or for that matter, using the laser and printing twice to control what gets foiled and what does not, is going to be a big trial and error. And no two people are going to be the same as far as calibrating it. I mean, we might figure out the procedures, but it will be like calibrating for PnC...each of us will have to do our own. But it is definately worth pursuing. I would love to foil only certain areas, like our company logo, so will have to pursue this later this week.

I should have my order from Dawn (please, please, please TODAY) and so will have enough to not get so stingy with.

BTW, got a text from my niece. She is coming over tomorrow morning. That means I won't be able to do anything in there and she is going to see all my new toys!! I wonder how long it is going to take her to want to play with my Foil Master. Then she will see the air eraser and airbrush....I think that will be later, especially when she tell her DH about them, then he may be over here too!! Gosh, I just love her to death and her DH too. I wish they would clone boys like him.....HE is the one that settled her down and got her into going to church. They are both such good kids.
kim

Postby PennyDuncan » July 25th, 2011, 11:49 am

Your niece and her hubby sounds like my aunt and future DIL....they love coming into my ARTHaven to see what my latest toys are!!!! ;) Sounds like she definately has a keeper!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Thyme » July 25th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Thanks Kim, I do try to only stock the best.
Its on its way is all I can say, some orders get to the US really fast and some take longer and i have no idea why
Thyme

Postby Gigi » July 25th, 2011, 12:16 pm

GREAT info Kim - and I agree with you. Only using other companies if I cannot get that color from Dawn. Her foil is exceptional!

Which reminds me - I need to call FoilMax - did you happen to ask them about the burgundy??

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Suzan » July 25th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Thyme wrote:Thanks Kim, I do try to only stock the best.
Its on its way is all I can say, some orders get to the US really fast and some take longer and i have no idea why

I will tell you why, this is so funny it is stupid. They are fascinated by the postage. When my stuff came they all thought the Queen had sent me somthing, because the mail reads royal something or other. I had to tell the post man, no she is better than the Queen of England she is the Queen of Cougar. I don't think he understood.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 25th, 2011, 1:04 pm

LOL Suzan - great comeback.

Dawn IS the Queen indeed!! Of course he didn't understand - but we all do!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » July 25th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Love it Suzan!! :ROFLMBO: I will agree with you on that one.

And, Dawn, I know you only stock the best!! and once the order is out the door, it is out of your hands how fast the postal service is! Certainly don't blame you....but even the day before I ordered it wouldn't have been fast enough for me!!! I'm just so excited to get it and play with it.

The burgandy is gone....no more. The manufacturer apparently only goes with the most popular colors and they quit making that one. I did ask if FoilMax had ANY in stock, but the answer was "no". They did have brown, which was not listed since it also is discontinued, so I went ahead and got the two rolls of brown that they had in stock. SO IF ANYONE EVER NEEDS A PIECE OF BROWN, LET ME KNOW. I don't know what I am going to do with all of it, but "just in case", I just had to get it. I guess Thanksgiving and Fall stuff. I am going to be buried 6 feet under and still have the brown foil. :ROFLMBO:
kim

Postby Thyme » July 25th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Lol Suzan!
thanks Kim
Thyme

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help