Using Individual Forces for the 24" Dual Head Silver Bullet?

Using Individual Forces for the 24" Dual Head Silver Bullet?

Postby FrinNick » August 27th, 2022, 6:36 pm

Hello there! This isn't so much a problem, just moreso wondering if it's possible.

I'm currently in the process of creating cards for a Halloween party, the SVG has score marks so instead of using the blade to cut and score, I'm using the blade to only cut and the engraving tool to do the score lines. I reduced the pressure for the engraving as reading around suggested I should for score markings. I clicked on the "Use Software Speed and Pressure" option to individually set each head to my desired speed/force, for example:

Left Head: V = 300 m/s and F = 10 (engraving tool for scores)
Right Head: V = 300 m/s and F = 90 (blade for cutting)

When I clicked cut, my Silver Bullet switched to a Force of 10 for both the right and left head. Causing the scores to be fine but being unable to cut through my material due to being such a low force.

I created a work-around by making my score marks a different color and used "Cut by Color", selecting "Cut each color separately", and adjusting the force manually for the second job (in this case scoring).

This isn't a huge issue mind you, but I was just wondering if there was any way to be able to have two different forces for each head in order to complete both scoring/cutting in one Job? If it is at all possible that would be awesome, maybe I'm just not seeing an option or don't know where to look.

I do apologize if this sounds confusing, I attached what I meant in the settings. Also doubly apologize, I am still kind of new to using this machine as my play-time with it reduced significantly when school started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FrinNick

Cutter: Silver Bullet Platinum 24"

Re: Using Individual Forces for the 24" Dual Head Silver Bul

Postby Gigi » August 28th, 2022, 3:05 pm

First, can I just say Thank You!?! What in informative post - you explained what you are doing, the issue(s) you are having, with pictures to further explain, and your thinking process. Thank you for the details in one post. I just wish my response could be as helpful as your description!

My results were like yours -until the lightbulb went off...

Select the cut lines layer on your mat - then click on the wrench tool (style). Choose the right tool and set it to cut. Do the same with your score layer - select the score lines on the mat, click on the wrench tool, choose the left tool, and set it to draw. Make sense so far? Then go back to the cutter setting in the software that you select to cut your file. Select the tool on the left and click "Cut". You should get a popup menu showing the "other color" - for me it was red. Be sure that it says "2 (left) for the tool in the pop-up menu. (Mine defaults to 1 (right). Click OK and It should draw with the left tool (score as you have it set) and then cut with the right. (See photos below)

I have been able to repeatedly have success but do have to watch the pop-up menu and change the tool each time. Will contact the software developer to see if I am missing a step. Please lmk how you do. This is more how you want it to work, I believe! Hope this is helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » August 29th, 2022, 7:29 am

I don’t have the two headed machine, so no ability to help there but I did want to say, if I were making cards with score lines and then cut lines, I would always do the score lines first before the cutting to ensure that the card stayed in place to score. Would like to see your cards when done if you would like to show.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2022, 11:06 am

Agree wholeheartedly and I believe he is . Thanks Melanie!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby FrinNick » September 17th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Hi Gigi! I apologize for the late response, first couple of weeks are typically pretty busy! I appreciate the thanks, I try and give as much information as I can as I know sometimes it's difficult to help people if not a lot of information is given.

Gigi wrote: Select the cut lines layer on your mat - then click on the wrench tool (style). Choose the right tool and set it to cut. Do the same with your score layer - select the score lines on the mat, click on the wrench tool, choose the left tool, and set it to draw. Make sense so far? Then go back to the cutter setting in the software that you select to cut your file. Select the tool on the left and click "Cut". You should get a popup menu showing the "other color" - for me it was red. Be sure that it says "2 (left) for the tool in the pop-up menu. (Mine defaults to 1 (right). Click OK and It should draw with the left tool (score as you have it set) and then cut with the right. (See photos below)

I have been able to repeatedly have success but do have to watch the pop-up menu and change the tool each time. Will contact the software developer to see if I am missing a step. Please lmk how you do. This is more how you want it to work, I believe! Hope this is helpful.

It seems you and I got to the same conclusion, my apologies that I wasn't able to respond sooner, I had to make sure that both the left tool and the score lines were at draw. This is honestly me being persnickety since I'd rather use the blades to cut than use score lines. However either would yield quality results.

I also want to share the card in question! This isn't the best one, as I think the blade is dulling out, which I'll thank the glitter for that, as the normally clean smaller cuts started to crimp up in the bottom right, having now worked with paper with glitter on it, I never want to work with it again lol.

I for the life of my cannot find the link to the card svg file from where I purchased it, because I think the card has a very pretty design and I will update the post when I do find it!

Update: Found it! Here is the url for the card: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1217306895 ... ch_click=1

My initial test cuts were on really thick almost plasticy cardstock and would highly recommend using that as opposed to softer paper, cleaner cuts and just looks overall nicer. These cards were for my mom and her invites, so if she wanted glittery paper, she's getting glittery paper.
Last edited by FrinNick on September 17th, 2022, 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FrinNick

Postby FrinNick » September 17th, 2022, 4:31 pm

MeFlick wrote:I don’t have the two headed machine, so no ability to help there but I did want to say, if I were making cards with score lines and then cut lines, I would always do the score lines first before the cutting to ensure that the card stayed in place to score. Would like to see your cards when done if you would like to show.

Yup! I've learned the hard way, always do the score lines first. I appreciate the help nonetheless. I also posted a picture of a card! It's not perfect, but I am still quite happy with how they turned out.
FrinNick

Postby Gigi » September 17th, 2022, 9:46 pm

That is a very intricate and interesting card - and I agree on several things. The most obvious is........ "what Mom wants Mom gets!!" What a wise son you are. I am blessed to have two grown boys/now men and they have learned that lesson. I am grateful (and try not to want too much!!) :)

I am not a fan of cutting glitter card stock - not on any cutting machine be it electronic or a die cutting machine. But, there are different types of glitter card stock. The most difficult is a chunky glitter or one that you can feel - not smooth. It is hard on every machine and difficult and we do not recommend using it as the metal can potentially damage the machine. When I cut SMOOTH glitter card stock (and there are some friendlier ones out there!!) IF I am having trouble with a design, I will mirror the design and flip the glitter paper over, so the glitter is facing the mat. It often helps.

This would be a lot of extra work for a full card like you are doing, but I have also been known to cut smaller objects out of a regular cardstock with double-sided adhesive and then apply super fine glitter after. It can be messy, but it is an option and can save frustration. I like having options! :)

So glad you have everything working well - sorry for the glitter frustration. And yes, glittered card stock is brutal on blades, as is plastic.

And I think all of us have learned the scored line lesson the hard way - sometimes those are the best lessons!!

Glad your Mom is happy and hope she has a fun party. Happy cutting! And thanks for sharing the link. Hope all continues to go well.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help