Two Part Question

Two Part Question

Postby Catlove1023 » November 20th, 2021, 8:58 pm

I am ashamed to admit that I have not used my Silver Bullet Cutter in several years. Its been so long that I have to start at the beginning because I do not remember anything.

1st question, I purchased 2 of these really cute blue tooth table top cornhole games for my daughter for Christmas (I'm attaching a pic so you can see they are rather small). My daughter is in her 1st semester of veterinary school and when I saw these cornhole games I immediately envisioned decorating these in her school colors (blue and white). I was thinking of covering them in a solid blue piece of Oracle 651 permanent vinyl and then cutting out her school emblem in white in 4 inches. Since I can't really go any larger than 4 inches, and the emblem has a lot of small text, I am beginning to think that it may not cut cleanly. I guess I wanted some opinions. Maybe I should just use printable vinyl and just print the emblem in blue on white printable vinyl. Any suggestions?

2nd question, are any of you cutting and playing with infusible ink transfer sheets? I know they have been around for a while but I was gifted a mugpress for my birthday recently and I haven't used it yet but definitely have been watching a ton of youtube videos. Any setting suggestions for using this medium?

As always, thanks for any suggestions. Trying to find my way back to my silver bullet cutter.

Cathy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catlove1023

Cutter: 15" Silver Bullet

Re: Two Part Question

Postby MeFlick » November 21st, 2021, 9:40 am

First, congratulations to your daughter on her accomplishments to date. I know getting into any Vet school is very Competitive. Second, are you all from nearby the area where the school is? Just curious as I am in the Knoxville area and very familiar with LMU.

Now, to your questions. Yes, you could cut that small butt you would need to play and find the correct speed and pressure to not lift or tear the vinyl and would need a very sticky mat and a good sharp blade. However, the bigger issue and problem is not the cutting but it would be quite difficult to do the weeding of The vinyl and not lose or move the small lettering. Weeding small lettering in vinyl is very tedious and nerve wracking. â˜ºï¸ I know, as I have done my. Fair share. I also would not try. To put blue vinyl down but would paint them blue.Then I would look for a more simplified logo to use. Since the boards are so small, I would probably put just the LMU and maybe the Vet school portion of the logo the V with the snake. Given the small size of the boards, I might put one on one board, and the other on the second board. If I was going to do it, I probably would not paint or vinyl the whole boards, but just use the vinyl to put those on the boards. The boards need to be somewhat slick for the bean bags. Plus, the smaller you go, the more likely that small lettering would quickly lift from that wear and tear. Just a few quick thoughts on how I would attempt it.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Catlove1023 » November 21st, 2021, 12:43 pm

Thanks for responding. No we are from NYC but she is a total country girl at heart. She went to Clemson for undergrad and grad school and fell in love with the south. She even bought a brown swiss cow, which was her show cow at Clemson. Her cow, Moolan now lives quite the life on a farm in Lexington, KY. We haven't had the opportunity to explore Knoxville that much. We have only been there for furniture shopping and going to and from the airport, and since starting school she has been too busy to explore. Looking forward to seeing more on future visits.

I agree with it being too hard to weed so I will not attempt it. I think I will do a combination of painting them with some acrylic paint and then adding not so intricate vinyl embellishments.

Thanks again. I appreciate the response.

Cathy
Catlove1023

Postby Gigi » November 21st, 2021, 1:02 pm

Thanks Melanie for the quick response. Not sure I have anything to add - will just reiterate that you can certainly cut vinyl small but.....I didn't even think about the bag tossing pulling up on the vinyl as I was thinking I might do a print and cut on printable vinyl - just to make it easy and personal. But then you would have the same issue of the vinyl pulling up over time. And you could varnish or shellac the entire board several coats to protect the vinyl AND keep the board slick... but..... I think you have this figured out.

Good luck with your project and have fun getting to know your Silver Bullet again. Your daughter is going to love your thoughtfulness no matter what you decide to do. And congratulations to her!

Would love to see the finished product. :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Catlove1023 » December 16th, 2021, 1:18 pm

So I just wanted to share the finished project. I wound up spray painting the boards white, and using blue multisurface acrylic paint on the sides of the boards. I printed the vet school symbol out on printable vinyl then trimmed it to fit the boards, held my breath and hoped I would attach them straight, lol. The hardest part was probably the circle in the middle.

It's not perfect but it's as close as I am going to get on this one. I am thrilled with how they turned out. I attached pics so you can see the progression from what the boards looked like when I bought them to what they look like now. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catlove1023

Postby Gigi » December 16th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Those look terrific. Thanks for sharing! Your daughter is going to love them!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help