Repositionable Spray?

Repositionable Spray?

Postby Tyler » June 29th, 2011, 2:42 pm

What do you all use that works well? I've used zig pens (too time consuming) and Krylon repositionable spray. I like the krylin fine, but it takes a while to dry and easily gets transferred from the mat to the paper or pinch wheels. Just curious what you all like to use.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Repositionable Spray?

Postby Suzan » June 29th, 2011, 3:00 pm

With the zig, I just squirt it on and use an old credit card to smooth. It's ok, I have done the same thing with Aileene's tack it over and over 50/50 mix, I didn't like that at all. Krylon is ok. But shshshs don't tell anyone, I bought a can of Slice repositional adhesive, and I like it a lot. I just do a moderate spray and it is ready to go in a few minutes. It is expensive at michaels, about 8 for a small can. But it works well. I am thinking of putting painters masking tape on my pinch wheels, so they don't get gunky (like my word). But I have never had a problem with that, but I am in super dry weather that could be why.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » June 29th, 2011, 3:38 pm

3M
Thyme

Postby LisaH » June 29th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Right now I'm using quilt basting spray...it's what I have. When this runs out...not sure, it's whatever I can find locally that works well.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby CaseysAngel » June 29th, 2011, 5:00 pm

I am using Krylon now but I bought some 3M because that's what Dawn uses.
CaseysAngel

Postby Phyllis » June 29th, 2011, 5:07 pm

I usually use 3M but just today decided to try the Aileen's 50/50 mixture and they seem way too sticky. Guess I'll have to stick a cloth or something to them to unsticky them some. I'll be going back to my 3M. I've not tried the Slice stuff or the quilt basting spray. I have tried the zig pens and don't like them either.
Phyllis

Postby kim » June 29th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Phyllis, for a moment I thought I had posted and didn't remember...I usually use 3M, but just a few minutes ago did the Aleenes Tack It Over and Over 50/50 mix to see how I like it. I have a Zig also, but seems like I have to do it again after a short while. It's hot and humid outside and I didn't feel like taping my mat, taking it outside to spray and then wait for it to dry. Since this is the first time to do Aleene's, we will see.

Besides, I think I need my mat really tacky for the copper. I noticed the last time I engraved, I had some little stray marks on it and I know I had my engraver up enough. It's just that some parts of the mat the copper wasn't sticking. If I don't like it for regular cutting, I will just take the stuff off.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby HappyCrafter » June 29th, 2011, 7:51 pm

I like Crafter's Companion and Zig Two-Way for my mats. I think I like Zig a little better.
HappyCrafter

Postby pigtailpat » June 29th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Dawn/Christy -

which 3m product? there's the artists' one which is repositionable, and then a white can with the red 3m icon which is said to be repositionable BUT dries permanent. So I am confused about which one.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby gardencat » June 29th, 2011, 10:48 pm

Phyllis wrote:I usually use 3M but just today decided to try the Aileen's 50/50 mixture and they seem way too sticky. Guess I'll have to stick a cloth or something to them to unsticky them some. I'll be going back to my 3M. I've not tried the Slice stuff or the quilt basting spray. I have tried the zig pens and don't like them either.

I haven't tried this myself yet but I read from someone that uses Aileens that you have to dilute it more so it will be less sticky..not sure what her recommended proportions are.

I've used the zig 2 way and krylon so far. Both kind of work on good smooth cardstock, but they both tend to over stick on paper or on the duller dofter cardstock (like the store brand from Michaels). One of them also tends to leave a bit of a gluey residue on the back of the cardstock so I'm finding tiny sticky balls 0of glue on the back of everthing I cut. It will come off, but its a bit of a pain.

Maybe I'll try thr 3M.
Do most of you scrap or wash yours before you reapply the new glue?
gardencat

Postby CeCeCreates » June 29th, 2011, 10:50 pm

I just bought some Loctite repositionable spray and really like it. I think I got it at JoAnn's.
Last edited by CeCeCreates on June 30th, 2011, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CeCeCreates

Cutter: Black Cat 13 inch

Postby Phyllis » June 29th, 2011, 11:27 pm

gardencat wrote:Do most of you scrap or wash yours before you reapply the new glue?

I use Goo Gone and take all the old glue off before applying new glue.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » June 30th, 2011, 2:45 am

3M Spray Mount Repositionable Adhesive. In a grey and blue can
Looks like this -
screenshot_02.jpg

And the description reads -
Excellent initial grab, but can be easily repositioned up to 12 hours later
Ideal for mock ups, mounting designs, theatre sets, prototyping, exhibition boards, display boards and lightweight materials
Clear and non-staining
Coverage of 10 square metres per 400ml can
CFC-free, recyclable and does not cause ozone depletion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » June 30th, 2011, 4:18 am

thanks dawn. I'm going to see what is sold by the US arm of 3M and see if I can get it.

EDIT: the product Dawn pictured is unique to the UK - it is known there as the SM200 item - I emailed 3M USA to see which of their products sold in the USA matches the UK SM200. Some of the repositionable spray descriptions on 3M products is very confusing because on some it states it dries permanent. So I am going to wait to hear from 3M to see what they say, and will report back here.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby LisaH » June 30th, 2011, 6:39 am

Thanks Pat!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby gardencat » June 30th, 2011, 7:47 am

I just re-read my post from last night, can you tell it was late and I was falling asleep over the computer? Sorry for all the typos...'dofter' cardstock indeed...and if you 'scrap' your mat I guess you won't have anything to apply the new glue to, will you? :oops: :lol:
gardencat

Postby Angel135612 » June 30th, 2011, 8:27 pm

kim wrote:Besides, I think I need my mat really tacky for the copper. I noticed the last time I engraved, I had some little stray marks on it and I know I had my engraver up enough. It's just that some parts of the mat the copper wasn't sticking. If I don't like it for regular cutting, I will just take the stuff off.

Kim when you are working with the metal, instead of getting a really sticky mat, just use painters tape to tape the sides down to your mat. That way it won't move, and you can still use your mat for paper. If your mat is too sticky, and you put paper on it, you could have a very hard time getting it off (Don't ask me how I know this... LOL).
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » June 30th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Too late...and I've used painters tape but the middle of the sheet still isn't flat. I fixed that by !) putting rubber cement over the whole mat and 2) fixing my makeshift table top around the cutter so that there is no "bend" while cutting. I still used the tape around the edges.

This is a 12 x 18 sheet of copper that I got in a roll and it has a bend in it already. I didn't want to try to hard to flatten it....might crease it. It is hardware store kind of stuff that I can cut into the large sheet that I need. For the smaller pieces, I like working with the stuff that Tyler has....it is so nice and flat.

The rubber cement should just roll off the mat. It's the only thing I could think of that is not permenant but has a good hold. If it ruins the mat, that is okay. It is an old one and has cut marks (deep ones) all over it. As soon as Sherri gets those new mats in, I plan on being first in line for some. I am getting desperate.

But as far as working, the rubber cement did the trick. I had absolutely no stray marks from the metal not laying flat.

I've seen that Spray Mount somewhere, probably in the art department somewhere. I thimk I may have some around here somewhere.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » June 30th, 2011, 9:37 pm

pigtailpat wrote:thanks dawn. I'm going to see what is sold by the US arm of 3M and see if I can get it.

EDIT: the product Dawn pictured is unique to the UK - it is known there as the SM200 item - I emailed 3M USA to see which of their products sold in the USA matches the UK SM200. Some of the repositionable spray descriptions on 3M products is very confusing because on some it states it dries permanent. So I am going to wait to hear from 3M to see what they say, and will report back here.

Thanks Pat for doing the homework for all of us. Curious to hear even though I am one of those who really like the Aleene Tack it Over and Over mixed with water (50/50) - works wonderfully for me!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » July 1st, 2011, 5:33 am

I got a nonsense email from 3M - they are worse than the government. I will try again and keep at it until I get a proper response from them.

Pat
pigtailpat

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help