Blade falling out of holder

Blade falling out of holder

Postby louiseheighes » April 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

Hi
I am cutting a fairly big piece using a standard blade cutter and a 60 degree blade.
At a point during the cut when the blade cutter lifts up, the blade stays on the cutting material, so it slightly leaves the holder and does not life off the cutting material. As the blade holder moves the blade slices through my work.
Does this happen to anyone else and can anyone help?
Thank you in advance.
Louise
louiseheighes

Cutter: silver bullet

Re: Blade falling out of holder

Postby Gigi » April 21st, 2020, 2:53 pm

First of all, what material are you cutting and where is it getting stuck and pulling out? Without having much detail, I am guessing that it might be turning a corner and getting stuck in the material? Is it a thicker material? It is stopping in the same place? Is your material firmly brayered to the mat? Is the blade firmly in the blade holder? Is the blade chipped by chance? What force are you using? How fast are you cutting? Is it a detailed file? Did you check the nodes? Is the blade sticking out too much and catching the mat? Right now I have more questions than answers. The more detail you can share the more we can attempt to help.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby louiseheighes » April 22nd, 2020, 3:08 am

Hi
Sorry for not giving enough information.
I am cutting a 1mm piece of leather.
I guess your suggestion of the blade turning a corner and getting stuck is possible. I am using speed 60 and pressure 135 with 3 cuts.
The file isn't too detailed and there are 3877 nodes, so i think not too much.
The blade is sticking out about 1mm from the holder but is also 1mm off the leather.

Any suggestions would be amazing

Thank you
louiseheighes

Postby Gigi » April 22nd, 2020, 10:16 am

Still have unanswered questions. Is it getting stuck in the same place? Are you cutting into the mat? If it is getting stuck in the same place, adjust the file. You can easily turn sharp corners into rounded edges in the file. The cut will still look like a corner, but the blade will have an easier time. I have a friend who designs files who does this on all of her files and they cut like butter - never a problem.

Have you cut that particular leather successfully or is this a new material. It could be the leather - they all do not cut well. Try the file on something else to be sure there are no glitches with the file.

Try reversing the leather and cutting on the other side. Also try (after you have checked everything else) flipping the file. Sometimes that helps - there is no reason for it, but I have seen it work when nothing else does.

Still lots of questions.......:)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby louiseheighes » April 23rd, 2020, 3:58 am

Hi
Yes the blade is getting stuck in the same place each time.
And yes, I am cutting into the mat.
Thank you for the tip on smoothing the corners, I will give that a go.
I cut in this leather often and some cuts are more successful than others but this is def the best leather i have used so far as it is quite stiff.
Thank you for all your suggestions and help.
louiseheighes

Postby Gigi » April 23rd, 2020, 8:18 am

If you are cutting into the mat then your blade is sticking out too far and/or you are using too much pressure. My guess is that cutting into the mat is only compounding the problem of the sticking in the same place. You will see a slight etching in the mat as that is the blade going through the adhesive on the mat, but if you run your fingernail over the mat, it should not be catching on the cuts. Hope that makes sense. If you have another mat, start with a fresh mat and do some test cuts do be sure the blade is not digging into the mat. And use your spacer to get the correct blade height. If you don't have a new mat, be sure to move your material to a different spot on the mat to avoid the blade catching in any cuts into the mat that might cause it to stick - again.

Hope one or all of these things help. Please keep us posted so we know what helps - or doesn't.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby louiseheighes » April 23rd, 2020, 9:01 am

thank you so much for your suggestions.
They are brilliant and I will try them all out.
Thanks again for your time - much appreciated! x
louiseheighes

Postby Gigi » April 23rd, 2020, 11:32 am

You are most welcome. I hope they are helpful. Do keep us posted. Thank you.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help