Torn corners on 30 mil Magnet Numbers

Torn corners on 30 mil Magnet Numbers

Postby Big D. » December 30th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Happy Holidays Everyone;

My first post! I am trying to cut 3/4" numbers in a .30 mil magnetic sheet. I am having problems with corners of the numbers having a small torn section. I have tried and tried and tried to fix it, but so far... nothing works.

I am attaching images for reference. Anybody have a suggestion. Thank you in advance for your help and Happy New Year to all!

Here is my set-up:
1) SB Platinum 24"
2) SCAL 5 on Mac
3) 60° Blade
4) Pressure: 70; Speed: 200; 3x Cut, Offset: .30mm; Overcut .50mm
3) Magnetic Sheeting taped to new mat
4) 4 Pinch wheels used

Here is what I have tried;
1) Faster/Slower, Multi-cut 1x, 2x, 3x
2) Changed Blade
3) Powered machine on/off, pulled USB Cable, Quit and restarted SCAL5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big D.

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Re: Torn corners on 30 mil Magnet Numbers

Postby Gigi » December 31st, 2019, 12:25 am

Hello Don -

Welcome to the Silver Bullet family. Happy Holidays to you too!

I can think of a lot of things that could be causing you trouble so I am going to try to stick with one thing at a time. I have not cut magnetic material, but have you looked at our cutting guide setting and did you do a test cut on the material? Have you thoroughly gone through the learning center classroom? There is a cutting guide (just a guide - not set in stone) there and also here on the forum. The recommendation for magnetic material is a force of 140 (with a multicut of 2) and you can certainly cut at a higher velocity. It is also recommended that you use the 60 degree plus blade as it has a longer shaft.

You should not change your overcut. For the blade that you have in, the 60 degree blade, the offset should be .25 and the overcut 1.00. For the 60 degree plus blade, the offset should be .7mm and the overcut should be 1.20. To use different numbers will definitely change the quality of the cut.

One of the reasons for you to be nicking at angles is that your blade is extended too far or that it is chipped. You said you changed blades, but if the blade is extended too far, it can easily chip on the mat. However, another reason for you to be getting the results that you are is the font that you have chosen to use. I would suggest that you preview the numbers in the software and look at the number of nodes. Let me explain a bit more, not knowing how familiar you are with cutting. All fonts are vector files, but not all fonts are created equal. Some cut beautifully, and some are a disaster. I have had many a mess because I have chosen the wrong font. Many will have an excess of nodes, especially at corners or angles and that will create havoc in the cut. You can simplify the file (path>simplify) and see if that helps, or you can experiment with different fonts to find one that will do a better job of cutting.

Cutting numbers that small is certainly doable, but it is important that you take all of the steps to ensure a good cut. The material needs to be well-brayered onto the mat; the blade should be the 60 degree plus at a force close to the one suggested above (give or take a little as each machine is different), the offset and overcut need to be reset, the font should be changed and/or simplified - and then you will be good to go! :)

I know that is a lot, but when you have a clean file (one without an excess of nodes), the correct blade and force, you will get the results that you want.

Hope this helps you get started in the right direction. If you have further questions/issues please don't hesitate to ask. And be sure you take the time to go through the learning center classroom as that will save you a lot of headache.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help