Glitter canvas cutting

Glitter canvas cutting

Postby Violetnj@hotmail.com » March 4th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hello! I just purchased a Silver billet machine for a number of projects. The main project that I am trying to figure out currently deals with glitter canvas fabric. I have tried to do a test cut with different settings, blade heights etc. do you have any recommendations? I am currently using the 60 degree blade but I did just order the 60 degree plus blade. Please advise. I am feeling like I wasted a lot of money on a machine that can’t do what I need it to do. Thanks in advance!
Violetnj@hotmail.com

Cutter: 24 inch silver bullet

Re: Glitter canvas cutting

Postby Gigi » March 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm

When you say glitter canvas, is it smooth glitter or chunky glitter (meaning is it a smooth surface or a textured surface? I assume you asked these questions before you purchased the machine if it was the one thing you wanted to cut. And when you say canvas, it is a loose material or more like a card stock. Not a lot of info given so we can help.

Basically, the machine is going to cut a smooth glittered surface with no problem - cuts like butter. A chunky or textured glitter is going to be more problematic and will damage your blade quickly because of the metal you are cutting. You may want to turn your media over and cut from the back side - that works much better for a lot of materials. Just be sure you mirror your image if need be so it comes out how you want it to.

You are a brand new user and I would not recommend cutting a difficult material until you have thoroughly gone through the learning center classroom and have a good understanding of how the machine , the blades, the software work. Have you successfully cut regular cardstock first so you know how to set up your blade with the right force and velocity to get the best results. Knowing how to do basic cuts with easy materials will make cutting something more difficult much easier.

Also what are you trying to cut? Is it a detailed file or a simple shape? That will also make your experience more difficult depending.

But - we need more info as to the kind of glitter media you are trying to cut and the file and if you have been through the learning center to get a good basic understanding of the machine itself. I am sure we can help once we have a lot more information.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Violetnj@hotmail.com » March 4th, 2019, 7:07 pm

The media is textured chunky glitter. I did email the company prior to purchase and asked about chunky glitter fabric. I was told that while it would need to be tested they could see no reason why it would not cut. I was not asked any clarifying questions regarding the glitter texture or fabric.

I have watched/ read all of the materials in the Learning center. I have also watched a number of YouTube videos. I have cut several card stock shapes with no issues. I have cut a smooth faux leather sheet as well again with no problems. I attempted to cut glitter side down and was unable to as the mat was not sticky enough. I have ordered the stickier Mat and the 60 degree plus blade. I really want this to work so any guidance you may have would be appreciated.
Violetnj@hotmail.com

Postby Violetnj@hotmail.com » March 4th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Also the media is a rigid fabric basically a faux leather with chunky glitter on one side.
Violetnj@hotmail.com

Postby Gigi » March 4th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Helps to know more - thank you.

While you are waiting for the stickier mat, you can use painter's tape to tape the material down and practice. That is a good way to keep the material in place regardless if need be. Depending on how chunky the glitter is, because you are cutting glass through a chunky glitter, you are going to go through blades quickly and you will want to check them often to be sure they are not damaged (nicked) in any way. I suggest you keep the shapes as simple as possible because anything detailed might not cut well because the glitter would get in the way of the design - if that makes sense. And there are all kinds of "chunky glitter" products so it might be finer than I am imagining. But you will still need to be careful and watch your blades.

It helps to know that you have cut some things without issue so at least I know you have a basic understanding of the machine. You said you have cut faux leather, right? I don't know which blade you used, but since the material is similar to the faux leather only with the added glitter, I would start with that blade and do some test cuts and see if you can cut a simple square or circle (like one inch size so you are not wasting a lot of material) and go from there.

What kind of designs are you planning to cut? I would also recommend that you sandwich it between two sheets of freezer paper. That is why we recommend sending in samples of materials to be sure that it will cut successfully.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » March 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Violetnj@hotmail.com wrote:. .. I did email the company prior to purchase and asked about chunky glitter fabric. I was told that while it would need to be tested they could see no reason why it would not cut. . . .
emphasis added

You noted that when you emailed the company and asked about the media in question, you were told they could see no reason it shouldn’t cut BUT that it would need to be tested. So did you send in some test samples to have it tested before purchasing so you could be sure you didn’t buy a machine that might not do what you wanted?

Even with an extra sticky mat, I would suggest that you may want to tape the media down to give it extra support. Also Gigi was referring to “freezer paper”. Plus, if you are trying to cut a “textured chunky glitter on a faux leather rigid fabric,” you are probably going to go through a lot of blades and mats, more than the average user for sure. Blades and mats are “consumables” that need replaced and even more so with this type of media. Make sure you keep plenty on hand.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » March 4th, 2019, 9:50 pm

That's what I get for typing too fast and not checking - corrected my post to say freezer paper.

Thanks Melanie!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Violetnj@hotmail.com » March 6th, 2019, 9:01 am

Gigi,

Can you tell me more about the freezer paper technique that you are recommending? I am willing to try anything. The shape is not intricate and is relative simple. the main shape is two circles/elipses connected by a rectangular strip. The other pieces are a small rectangle and the most complicated of the shapes is a long piece with dovetailing at either end. I will try the painters tape as well.

So when I initially emailed the company I was not told that it would be an option to send in the media to have it tested..... How would I have know this was an option? Shouldn't this have been something that the person answering the email offered if the option existed? I certainly would have gladly sent it in to have the test run.
Violetnj@hotmail.com

Postby Gigi » March 6th, 2019, 9:24 am

You can use freezer paper or shelf paper and "sandwich" the material in between the two (so you have freezer paper, material, then another piece of freezer paper). Obviously you would secure each of the pieces of material (the paper and the glitter material) and see if that helps. If you run your hand over the material, does the glitter flake off? If so, you are going to have a problem and that would have been determined as soon as Sherri saw the material without even testing. I am hoping for your sake that is not the case!

As far as test cutting the material, I don't know what to say as I was not involved in the conversation. But I know that Sherri and her staff cut all sorts of materials for people before they purchase. You said in your first post that you were told it would need to be tested to be sure but they couldn't see an issue. Without seeing the material and testing it, she is going to assume that it is something relatively smooth and cutter friendly. I don't know what to say - I would have followed up with a question about having it test cut before purchasing if that was all I was going to be cutting. But you are where you are now - so we are doing what we can to help. not being able to see or feel the material. I know there are a lot of glitter materials out there, so perhaps if this material doesn't work another will. Just a thought down the line...

I can say without hesitation, that if our machine won't cut the material there is no machine out there (at least in this price range) that will cut it. Hoping that this is just a learning curve and once the correct sandwich is figured out (and you have the 65 degree plus blade) that you will be successful in your cutting.
Keep us posted....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » March 6th, 2019, 9:36 am

While I am not privy to your communications with anyone, you do indicate that they clearly stated that it would need to be tested - it sounds like there was a lack of communication perhaps on both ends and followup on your part to ask how it could be tested. We are not here to argue about who did or didn't say or do what however. Perhaps everyone can learn from this miscommunications on both ends. However, that leaves you with a machine that you need help with. You indicate that you wanted it to use it for a number of projects, and from your first post, it sounds like that they all do not include this glitter fabric. Is that correct? What other projects/types of media did you want to use it with? Perhaps, it would be good to try some of those other projects/media while you wait to get this sorted. This is an excellent machine that can do a great many things when one takes the time to learn the process and the ins and outs of it throughly. I would suggest that you try to see if someone can do some test cuts with this media since it is not one that I have seen, nor one I have seen anyone else trying to cut. I am willing to give it a try if need be. It is hard to make suggestions without knowing the media and it is possible unfortunately, that it is a media that cannot be cut with a drag blade cutter. However, having it tested is probably your best bet in figuring it out at this point.

You have noted that you have done some test cuts, with different blades, different heights, etc., but you do not tell us exactly what is the issue other then your followup to Gigi's initial questions to say that you tried to cut with the glitter side down but the mat was not sticky enough so you ordered a new stickier mat. Was the media not sticking to the mat the only issue you had so far? If so, then I would wait on the new mat and blade and possibly try again. You will want conservative settings as far as speed for sure. I do understand your frustration, I have been there but with time and effort the machine can be mastered and turn out some beautiful projects with the right media.

As far as the freezer paper method Gigi referred to, you sandwich the media between freezer paper to give it some more stability then what it would have otherwise.

(Edited to add - Gigi and I posted at the same time so I need to review what she posted. ;) )
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » March 6th, 2019, 9:47 am

Thanks Melanie. You always add another layer of help and thoughtfulness which is much appreciated. I am still waiting/hoping for the caffeine to kick in!!

Holly - if you think you can capture a good photo of the glitter material, feel free to upload it although as I type this Im not sure any of us can judge with feeling and cutting it. So, as Melanie and I have both said, we will do our best to help a step at a time. If there is a way to figure it out, we will. Sometimes it just takes a fair amount of trial and error. And you can still send several pieces of material to Sherri if you would feel better having her test cut it now to be sure one way or the other. Or you can wait and see if we can figure out a way to help this work - sometimes it just takes a little more thinking out of the box!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help