**UPDATED CUTTING GUIDE**

**UPDATED CUTTING GUIDE**

Postby Gigi » January 29th, 2019, 11:33 pm

In an effort to help new owners and support long time users, we have developed a new cutting guide and attached it here. (Huge thanks to Michelle for putting this together.)

As a reminder, please remember that this is just a starting point. You may need to adjust the force setting 10 points in either direction and the force as well, depending on the intricacy of the design. Every machine is slightly different and we strongly encourage you to use the test cut button before cutting a new medium/project. Cutting is influenced by the blade used, "age" of the blade used, amount of blade extended, height of blade above setting tool, condition of the mat and adhesion, humidity in the air, etc. So please test cut and find your own best settings and keep a log. I have a running log in a small notebook, and also add my most used medium to the software. I do both so I have backup. :)
We know how our machines operate, including our blades and mats. If you are using generic blades and/or another brand mat, these settings will most likely not be helpful.

If you have further questions, issues, concerns - please ask.

Happy Cutting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: **UPDATED CUTTING GUIDE**

Postby Korkybird » June 25th, 2019, 11:32 am

Hi Gigi

I hope you don't mind me asking, but is this guide okay to use with the Black Cat Cougar. I acquired the machine a couple of weeks ago from my place of work (I don't think it had ever been used!) but I don't have any manuals. Using this forum I've managed to work out the basics to get it working but I can't seem to find much information about what kind of things I can put through the machine. Ideally I'd like to know if I can put Mount board (the picture framing board) and Chipboard through the Black Cat. I make dolls house furniture hence wanting to use heavier weight board.

I've purchased the latest version of SCAL as I needed the drivers and software and I must admit it's all a little overwhelming at the moment ! :hide:

Thank you, Sheridan
Korkybird

Cutter: Black cat cougar cub

Postby Gigi » June 25th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Hi Sheridan - welcome. I do wish you would have reached out to us before purchasing as there are Silver Bullets for sale with little use and they can be supported if something goes wrong. We no longer carry parts for the Cougar as it is a much older machine, but hopefully you can get enough accomplished with it for now. :) And the Cougars are work horses. We also have this used machine buyers offer that would have given you more tech support but you already purchased the software. But here it is for your info.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5580

As far as the guide goes, you may need a little more force play with the velocity, but it's a good place to start. I have always said, and will continue to say, that the best teacher is trial and error and using the test cut button to determine what works best for your machine. If you are going to be cutting chipboard (not a problem at all for this machine) then you will want to purchase the 60 degree plus blade as it has a longer shaft - the same with mat board. We have users who have been very successful cutting matboard, but it depends on the density of it. You can do a search on the forum and see what others have shared.

Hope this helps you get started.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Korkybird » June 26th, 2019, 9:19 am

Thank you Gigi, your reply was most helpful.

I was recently given the Black Cat by my Boss who had only used it once or twice several years ago and then boxed it up again. Unfortunately the computer it was attached to had long gone along with the driver and program he used, hence my buying SCAL, which I purchased via a link in this forum.

I live in the UK and so far I have been unable to find a supplier of the consumables I will need over here so will contact the Silver Bullet Cutters Store, using the button above, with regards to purchasing the 60 degree plus blade and adjustable blade holder.

As you said, trail and error is the best way to learn and I am getting to grips with the machine quite quickly now and have been blown away by the shear quality of the cutter and end results.

Thank you once again for you help and advice, Sheridan
Korkybird

Cutter: Black cat cougar cub

Postby Gigi » June 26th, 2019, 10:02 am

You are so welcome. I am glad it is working and that you are figuring it out on your own as best you can. There are a lot of videos on YouTube and also on this forum that can help. The Silver Bullet videos will be a little different (machines are different, but you can still use a lot of the information as the basics are the same.

Yes Sherri at Silver Bullet Cutters is the best place to purchase consumables for now. If you have questions feel free to ask. We will do the best we can to help! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ken mcsteen » September 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Hi! Korkybird
I am in the UK and have a Black Cat Cougar plus all operating instructions. Contact me.
Ken McSteen (kmcsteen@googlemail.com)
ken mcsteen

Cutter: BlackCat Cougar15

Postby Moss » October 27th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Hi Gigi,

I have not used my cutter in quite a while and have misplaced my old cutting guide.

Thank you very much for this updated & detailed cutting guide.

Moss
Moss

Cutter: 24 Inch Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » October 27th, 2019, 4:45 pm

You are welcome. Just remember that these are just "guides" - so many variables come into play - how much blade is extended, how high it is set above the mat, the age of your blade, the design you are cutting, and so much more. I try to always say that so everyone understands that you might need more or less force depending and it's ok.

Enjoy getting back into cutting. If you get stuck, just let us know.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby WLGT » November 2nd, 2020, 11:24 pm

Gigi, I don't use my Silver Bullet enough, and when I do you're always here helping us all be better crafters.

Once again I return for some info on my project and the random thing I am cutting, and you are providing great information on this forum for us all.

Thank you for your and everyone's effort that makes this community so great. :D
WLGT

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 13"

Postby Gigi » November 25th, 2020, 11:19 pm

Thank you. I am glad you are finding useful information. Thank you for letting us know.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby JanScissorHand » May 9th, 2022, 11:14 am

Hi Gigi,
It's been a long time since I've used my 24" Silver Bullet. Now I have the time. Thank you for the cutting guide.
I use the red needle holder. On your guide you state velocity and force. How do I set that? My blade holder goes to six.
Thank you.,
Jan Frisk

PS::: I am so embarrassed. I found the velocity and pressure, Now working on why my paper is sticking to the mat.
I am bound and determined to get back to paper crafting again. Thank you, :)
JanScissorHand

Cutter: 24 inch Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » May 9th, 2022, 6:40 pm

Hi Janice -

No need to be embarrassed. If you haven't used the machine in a while, it is easy to forget the simple things. Glad you figured it out. Remember you have the learning center classroom to fill in any gaps you encounter should you need it!

When you say your paper is sticking to the mat, do you mean the mat is too sticky and you can't easily get your paper off the mat? You can take something like an all-cotton (no lint) towel or T-shirt and just "blot" the mat to remove some of the excess stickiness if that is the problem. Also, when you are done cutting, rather than pull the media off the mat, bend the mat a little to help release your project.

Anything else? Just holler. Here to help. I am glad you are determined to get back into paper crafting and get re-acquainted with your machine. :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help