Help me love my machine

Help me love my machine

Postby Grammy » September 17th, 2018, 7:42 pm

I have had my Silver Bullet for 6.5 years and have never mastered it.

It leaves big scrape marks as it moves around meaning that where I am not cutting is unusable and the things I cut are pretty much unusable due to scrape/cut marks all over it.

I packed it up about 5 years ago in frustration but decided to get it out again so I can use it to cut marine vinyl for embroidery and heat transfer vinyl to clothing etc.

I have watched videos and read all I can but still no luck.

Can anyone share some tips with me please?
Grammy

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Help me love my machine

Postby Gigi » September 17th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Hi Sharon -

I am so sorry to hear that you have had your machine for so long and are still not comfortable with it, but I am glad you are giving it another try. As we have said many times, there is a learning curve, but once you get through it, you will be happily cutting. It sounds like you never got over the first hurdles so I will see if I can help with that.

Your blade should not be scraping the mat or the paper as it moves around. It sounds that you either have the blade sticking out too much and/or you have the force or pressure set too high. Are you using the test cut feature to determine how much force is needed? Are you using the setting tool to be sure your blade is at the correct height? Also be sure the blade holder is securely clamped and not slipping. The bottom line - if you have the blade properly set at the correct height, it will freely move over the mat and media without scraping. Utilize the setting tool and you should not have any issues with dragging or scraping at all.

I am guessing your mat is not warped as you have barely used the machine, but that can also cause the blade to scrape if the mat is warped and thus not laying flat.

HTV can be very challenging to cut, so practice on a lightweight cardstock to get a good feel for the machine and allow yourself to be comfortable cutting before you work on the vinyl.

Let us know how you are doing. And use your dealer, Joanne, as she is an excellent resource.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Grammy » September 18th, 2018, 2:44 am

Thank you so much for your tips.

I have tried the test cut using a gazillion options but its not cutting that out either, just leaving marks on it regardless of the settings I have used.

I have the blade set at different heights, unfortunately it is not cutting out the shapes but is scraping the vinyl/cardstock as it moves around. I have tried a new blade also.

I have tried the force settings really low, and really high without success. My mat is slightly warped since being packed away for so long but its not badly out of shape.

A setting tool wasn't available when I purchased mine, we were told back then to use a CD.

I feel like a real dummy not being able to work it out

I thought about buying the click blade as I believe that it is a lot easier to set correctly but hesitant to spend more money when at the moment it is a very expensive paper weight.
Grammy

Postby Gigi » September 18th, 2018, 4:26 am

I just put the setting tool next to a cd - try two cds for setting. I still think your blade is sticking out too much if you are scraping the material. If it is too low, then it cant get enough "force" to come down and cut out - there needs to be room for it to get the momentum to cut - if that makes sense.

Lets start with the test cut - there is no reason for it not to cut that out. You said you have a new blade in but be sure it's not nicked. If it is dragging across material and the mat it could easily be nicked which will make it impossible to ever get a good cut.

I understand your wanting to try different things out of frustration and wanting it to cut, but stick with just one task at a time and master that before moving on. And I love my click blade holder, but I also have no issue with the regular holder and I don't change my blade height often at all - there is no need. You shouldn't have to either. Be sure your blade is not extended too far out of the blade holder - about 1mm.

Get your mat as flat as you can. You can put it out in the sun and then place heavy objects on it to flatten it - but it needs to be flat. A warped mat will just add to the problems you are having. Once your mat is flat, or at least one large section of it is, use that part for cutting. Brayer the card stock onto the mat. Take a CD and put it on top of the card stock and under the blade. Let the blade rest on it and then pull it up slightly so you can pull the cd in and out without having the blade scrape it. Be sure you have that clearance. Tighten the blade holder in that position. Now try the try the test cut or a simple square. A lightweight card stock should cut anywhere between 45-60. I am giving you a range to start with - could be more depending on what you consider lightweight! Just cut one shape and master that. If the first attempt doesn't cut the material, go up by 10 in the force and try again. Don't go up too much as you don't want to cut into the mat.You will get to the point where you can look at a material and come close to getting the right force just by the feel of it. Start a notebook with settings and materials that work so you don't have to figure it out each time. You can enter the materials in SCAL as well so you just select what you are cutting. I have it in the software and keep a notebook for easy reference just in case. I like having back up!

So back to the beginning. Get your mat flat and start with a new blade so you have the best chance for success this time. I don't know if your blade is damaged, but let's assume it is - just set it aside and you can test it later once you are up and running, but start fresh for now. If your blade has been scraping the mat as it moves around, you need to raise the blade and/or blade holder as explained above. It should clear the mat and material and you will never get a good cut if it is dragging on the mat. Check the distance the blade is sticking out of the holder and reset the holder in the clamp. Cut a shape. Stay with one shape until you have success. Once you have the correct force, try another shape.

Don't feel like a dummy. Just conquer one thing at a time. I think your issues is with the blade holder - so once you have that set properly, the cutting should be successful.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Grammy » September 18th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Thanks so much.

I will give all those things a try later today.

I really appreciate your help x
Grammy

Postby Gigi » September 18th, 2018, 5:50 pm

You are very welcome. Keep us posted.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help