Rough, Uneven Vertical Cuts

Rough, Uneven Vertical Cuts

Postby ShannonRichard » March 20th, 2018, 2:52 pm

I cut reusable mylar stencils with my silver bullet for almost 1.5 years now. It's great, love it! Today, I started with a brand new mat, loaded like usual, started cutting a design and my blade broke. First time ever, no big deal, I switched it out, but now I'm noticing that all of my test cuts have sloppy vertical lines and they seem to be scraping rather than cutting. My horizontal lines are fine, nice and clean and cutting through as usual. What went wrong and how can I go about fixing this?! Thanks in advance!
ShannonRichard

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Rough, Uneven Vertical Cuts

Postby Gigi » March 20th, 2018, 3:16 pm

For starters, do a machine reset if you haven't already. That is always a good place to start if and when things go awry just to be sure your settings are correct.

Have you changed the product that you are cutting. We have seen this happen before, especially with plastic products. It can be the same manufacturer, but if it is a different batch lot, there can be issues.

Even tho your cuts seem fine horizontally, be sure the blade holder and clamp are secure too.

What happens if you cut a simple square shape from the library? Do any of the issues repeat or change? Which blade are you using and how thick is your material?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby ShannonRichard » March 20th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Hi Gigi,

Thanks for your reply. I did try a reset before posting here, no luck. I have not changed the product, it's not a new batch. I've replaced the new blade again, just in case there was an issue with the first new one, also no change.

I have definitely secured both the blade and blade holder, it's all tight and secure each time. I've tried adjusting the height of the blade inside the holder, as well as the clamp, also no luck with that.

When I try a simple square, the lines seems a little cleaner, less jumpy and rough, but still the same issue. The horizontal lines aren't exactly perfect on test or with a square, but they are much better than the vertical lines. When the blade is cutting downward, it sounds like it's really scrapping. Normally, I can't really the blade on the material, but this just sounds awful. I would also describe what's going on to be similar to engraving, it's peeling up the plastic rather than cutting through, so I get all kinds of really thin plastic curls coming up on the material, where normally it's just a clean cut without any debris.

I'm cutting 7.5mil mylar with a 60 degree standard blade - which is what I've been using since day one. Speed 450 force 200, as usual.

I'm not sure this means anything, but each time I do a test cut, there is a small vertical line next to the rectangle on the right hand side. I don't remember this being there any other time I've done a test cut.
ShannonRichard

Postby gingers » March 20th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I may be way off base here, but have you checked to see if the blade holder has anything in it that would keep the blade from rotating properly in the holder?
gingers

Cutter: cougar 18"

Postby ShannonRichard » March 20th, 2018, 5:10 pm

I felt the same, so I took the blade holder apart, tried putting it back together, the squares are definitely better, but I tried cutting a word and it's so much worse... :cry: I don't have a replacement holder on hand.
Is there a video to see how to properly reassemble the holder? Maybe, I mixed something up...
ShannonRichard

Postby Gigi » March 20th, 2018, 5:30 pm

There is a video in the learning center about loading and adjusting your blade holder - that is the title you can click on. It's under the Silver Bullet Manual tab.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ShannonRichard » March 20th, 2018, 5:35 pm

Yes, but it doesn't actually take the blade holder apart and put it back together, which is what I think I need help with.

Any other suggestions?
ShannonRichard

Postby Gigi » March 20th, 2018, 5:49 pm

I went through all of the videos that I can find in our archives and I don't think anyone has taken the blade holder apart. I just tried to do it and there is just the top knob and the adjustment piece. I took mine apart and the top piece can go on either way - and the adjustment circle goes on first.

I had to search to find a regular blade holder as I only use the click holder :) But I had no issues taking it apart and putting it together as there are only 3 parts. Right? (want to be sure the one I tried isnt from an older machine and could be different.......)

Do you have a click blade holder? Can you try using that just to see if you get even cuts that way?? And will you also please try a simple cut on regular card stock? Let's remove all of the variables just to be sure.

Will wait to hear. And I did reach out to Sherri to see if she has any thoughts.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ShannonRichard » March 20th, 2018, 6:11 pm

The pieces that came out of my blade holder are the metal plunger, a magnetic piece at the bottom, a spring, and then another metal circle at the top. I'm assuming I put it together correctly, but the cuts seem worse now. And... I didn't find anything lodged in there.

So, I just tried cardstock at 450 with 35, 45, 55, and 60 force (I don't cut cardstock, so not sure what is typical for settings). 35 & 45 barely scratched the surface, 55 & 65 tore it to shreds. It's still worse on the vertical lines.

I do not have a click blade holder, the only other tools I have are the pen holders which I've never used.
ShannonRichard

Postby Gigi » March 20th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I have talked with Sherri. The blade holders are not meant to be taken apart (other than what I told you I did). If there was anything in it, it would have come out when you removed the blade and pushed the plunger through. That is why we only have information on how to adjust the blade holder!

You will need to order another blade holder as it will not work now. We can trouble shoot if you have trouble once you have another blade holder but guess we are stuck for now. At first Sherri thought it was a corrupt file but I told her you had tried a square from the library and that did not work either. Feel free to contact her directly.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help