Cutter stops unexpectedly - advice needed

Cutter stops unexpectedly - advice needed

Postby studioflox » October 9th, 2017, 10:40 am

Hello there,

I have been using the Silver Bullet Cutter for a while now and have not had any problems until now. The designs have always come out beautifully and there were no problems whatsoever even with very detailed patterns.
Last week though I had to start using the Silver Bullet Cutter on a different Mac and I have had the following problems:
- The first item gets cut out very slowly and the blade seams to tear rather than cut through the paper
- From the second item onward the designs are cut out properly and with the right speed, but the cutter stops in irregular intervals and only continues after quite a while
- The blade doesn't go back to the beginning after being finished and stops in the middle of the paper sheet with the laser turned on, but nothing happens until I turn it off
I have gone through different blades, mattes, distances and types of paper and played around with the SignCut settings, but there has been no improvement.
Is this a problem with SignCut or is there some point I am missing?
Thanks for helping me :)
studioflox

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13

Re: Cutter stops unexpectedly - advice needed

Postby MeFlick » October 9th, 2017, 1:46 pm

First let's clarify a couple of things. You noted that you had played around with SignCut settings and asked if this is a problem with SignCut - just to clarify, is that the program you are using from your Mac to your SB? Is that the only program you have used with it previously? Since several different programs can be used, I just want to clarify which program you are using. I don't use SignCut so I can't help with that program.

Second, since you switched to a different computer are you using the same exact cord to connect from the computer to the cutter that you did before or are you using a different cord? If the same cord - what type of cord are you using? Straight USB cord or a usb to serial, etc. Also, does one of the mac computers have an older USB 1 or 2 plugin and the other one a newer USB 3 plugin perhaps? If you know, which computer has which type of USB plugin? Is one an older Mac computer and one a newer Mac computer? (That can help you figure out which type of USB plugin they may have.) If a different cord, switch the cord to the one you had previously used and try again and let us know if that fixed the problem or not.

I'm not sure if SignCut allows for you to change the "data throttle" or not. This is the amount of data and how quickly that is pushed to the cutter from the computer. I know with some other programs, you can and may need to adjust the data throttle on a Mac computer so that it works correctly otherwise you might see similar issues of cutting slowly, stopping then starting again, etc. Besides that, I'[m thinking if you are using a different cable or USB plugin that varies from an older 1 or 2 to a 3 you might see something similar as well. Just throwing some ideas out there to look out until someone with more tech support can see your issue.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Since the US machines are all bundled with the SCAL software, we do not support the SignCut software (although we do have users who still use it from many years ago). Per Sherri, if the issue is SignCut, you would get the best help on Dawn's forum for that. I think Melanie covered just about all of the other things that could be at fault.

We are happy to have you here, just not sure that you will get the help you need and deserve with SignCut here
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby studioflox » October 16th, 2017, 8:09 am

Hello Melanie, hello Gigi!

Thanks for your advice! I have tried switching the USB chords and I have contacted Dawn's forum.
The problem was so simple that I really feel kind of stupid :D There was no driver for the cutter installed on the Mac...

But thanks again for taking the time and helping me :)
studioflox

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13

Postby Gigi » October 16th, 2017, 9:49 am

And you gave us every clue too - totally missed that you were on a new computer. Yes a driver would help! :banghead:

Glad you are up and running now!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » October 16th, 2017, 10:55 am

glad you got it resolved. Yes, most cutters and software programs need drivers on the computer that allow them to "talk" the correct language with your computer.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help