Combining Print n Cut with Tiling on SCAL 4Pro

Combining Print n Cut with Tiling on SCAL 4Pro

Postby rapo » September 30th, 2017, 3:40 pm

I want to make a t-shirt using printable print then cut on printable fabric iron-on transfers (from Avery #3302; just print using inkjet, then iron on).
So i'm thinking using print and cut! I've done that before- easy!

(by the way, i can think of other projects which i need to print a large project (poster) then cut it out, so if i can figure this out-- WITH YOUR HELP, OF COURSE! i can do even 'bigger things'!)

However, the final image i want on the t-shirt is 17.5" wide by 12" tall-- the material comes in 8.5"x11" sheets.
So, i'm thinking TILES! I'll tile it onto 8.5x11 sheets, print those sheets, cut out the prints, then iron the pieces after placing them perfectly!

I opened up SCAL 4 Pro, sized my project, then went to Effects> Tiling. I specified my tiles easily.
Then it occurred to me that i needed to (somehow) print registration marks on the sheets if i was to have a chance at Print and Cut. What am i not doing correctly?

So, short of trying out printing the tiles, then having to do a SCAN and CUT (haven't done that before), i'm thinking someone on the SBC Forum, with more brains and experience has done this already!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
rapo

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24

Re: Combining Print n Cut with Tiling on SCAL 4Pro

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2017, 4:10 pm

So I don't have to try to recreate what you are doing, can you please send me the file so I can see it and then try it? I have not even done tiling only because I have not had a need for it. I can think of what I would do, but would rather try it first rather then sending you down the wrong road!

You can send it to admin@silverbulletcutters.com in the SCUT format. And/or you can upload it here, but will need to save it as an svg to upload it. Happy to look at it as soon as I can.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: Combining Print n Cut with Tiling on SCAL 4Pro

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Ok - I am going to cut to the chase. I am hoping some of you who do a lot of iron on vinyl etc have had experience with tiling. I have seen the file and have showed Richard how I might tile it - and in doing that I realized that there is an option for adding registration marks within the tiling option - so that is all good. My question is this. If you are dividing an image vertically, let's say in thirds for example, and you do a print and cut in thirds etc do you want to have an overlap? Does the material iron on to itself well? My concern is that if you dont overlap, it's going to be so difficult to have the edges adhere without the line showing (it's a massive colorful floral i mage) under the best of results, or worse, possibly pulling apart with stretching and wear and tear.

I now understand the how of it, but wonder if any of you have done this with a heat activated product. I know it's been done successfully with vinyl, but it seems like a fabric transfer might different issues.

Eager to hear from those of you who are experienced so we can all learn. Thanks!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help