Cut & Fold - Multiple Line Types w/ One Object

Cut & Fold - Multiple Line Types w/ One Object

Postby mhammer » September 22nd, 2017, 2:50 pm

Hi All,

First time post here, so please be easy on me if this is a complete newbie question. So, I am looking to cut out some text, but don't want to cut it out completely. Essentially, I want all but one path on each letter to cut. Below is a photo of what I am trying to produce. This I cut and folded by hand, hence the ugly nature of it. Is there a way to intentionally incompletely cut one path in an object, or are only complete circuit cuts possible? Or, ideally, turn that "uncut" line into a perforation / score line for easier folding. I've tried... and tried, searched the forums / videos.

Thanks!

mhammer

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24" Pro

Re: Cut & Fold - Multiple Line Types w/ One Object

Postby Gigi » September 22nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

Well here is an idea. See the photo below as I used the letter "m" for an example. I used the knife tool to cut the far left vertical line. Then I changed the color of it and changed the line to be dashes. That way you could cut by color(if you have SCAL PRO) and do the red dash lines separately at a lower force, and then cut the black letter remaining at the regular force to cut through. Just my first thought. And you would want to be sure to cut WYSIWYG so the placement doesn't change. Make sense?
I zoomed in to make it larger so you could see some of the settings. Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mhammer » September 25th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks so much, that was exactly what I was looking for! Just need to play with the force settings a bit, and get the fold lines a little more defined.

mhammer

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24" Pro

Postby Gigi » September 25th, 2017, 3:50 pm

You are very welcome. Glad it was helpful.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby raneymd » December 1st, 2017, 3:04 am

I haven't tried it myself, but what about dulling a spare blade and using it at normal force on the fold line? Requires a blade change but could give a better fold.
raneymd

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » December 1st, 2017, 11:03 am

To fold you can use a regular blade (without changing blades) and use a dotted line to create a perforated line for folding that works very well. Or you can use the embossing tool or just a blade at a lower force - it doesn't have to be a dull blade.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help