SB Print & Cut Vs. Cricut

SB Print & Cut Vs. Cricut

Postby b_loye » October 27th, 2016, 2:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Cricut and use it to make party décor to sell on Etsy. I am nearly unable to keep up with my Etsy store demand due the print and cut limitations on the Cricut and the speed of the Cricut. I am considering upgrading to a SB. I would like to know, with the Silver Bullet, is it possible to lay multiple sheets of cardstock on the mat at the same time and cut all of the sheets in one iteration? Any tips, comments, or experience on the print and cut feature of the SB are appreciated.
b_loye

Cutter: silverbulletcutter.com

Re: SB Print & Cut Vs. Cricut

Postby MeFlick » October 27th, 2016, 9:12 pm

The limitation is not on the cutter its self, its on the fact that if you are doing a true "print and cut", you can only print registration marks based on the size of paper that you are using. Then the user and the cutter has to "align" the laser to the registration mark. If you have a 24" cutter and can print one single sheet of paper to fit on the mat with one set of registration marks then you can take full advantage of the size of the machine and cut multiples printed on that sheet. However, you cannot align multiple 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper and print and cut each sheet on one iteration. Each sheet would have their own registration marks and you would need to align the laser to each sheet to cut correctly. There should be videos available I think that "show" how this works.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 27th, 2016, 10:38 pm

The only thing I would add to what Melanie has said is that the registration marks in SCAL are very accurate once you calibrate your machine, and once you get the hang of lining them up with the laser, it goes very quickly. The cutting process alone is much quicker than the Cricut. And you could quickly line one up and cut several pages on the mat, just one at a time.

I think you would still be way ahead on time and energy and this machine is a work horse so it will last a long time!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MendyRap » October 28th, 2016, 8:43 am

MeFlick I didn't think you could print and cut anything larger than letter size? Am I wrong? I would LOVE to be able to pnc 12 x 12 or 13 x 19!
MendyRap

Postby Gigi » October 28th, 2016, 9:47 am

Just happened to see this so answering....... the print size is determined by your printer. There are an increasing number of printers that will print 12x12 and larger. Epson and others make wide format printers. Here is one on Amazon just to give you an idea that prints 13x19 https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Artisan-Wi ... t+printers

Not promoting it - I have not used it - just sharing! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 28th, 2016, 11:30 am

MendyRap wrote:MeFlick I didn't think you could print and cut anything larger than letter size? Am I wrong? I would LOVE to be able to pnc 12 x 12 or 13 x 19!

Yes, you can. most printers print legal size so that is 14". But, as Gigi noted, and what I was referencing was having a printer (or access to one) that printed bigger. There are many to be found now (some can be pricy, others not). Other option is to print with a service that can print bigger for you.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby b_loye » October 29th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Thank you everyone!! I have placed my order and can hardly wait.
b_loye

Cutter: silverbulletcutter.com

Postby Gigi » October 29th, 2016, 6:56 pm

You won't regret it. Congratulations! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help