Help! Do not know how to finalize my design.

Help! Do not know how to finalize my design.

Postby dianebeckman » October 20th, 2016, 10:58 pm

3cc97b2771d7c49b59b35400b9347262.jpg
Luther's Rose.scut3
Hello,

I have a friend that requested a design of a Luther's Rose. I found a picture she likes. I have been working on recreating the image to cut for her. Files are attached. I cannot get the last part finished. On the Sure cuts A Lot file the green line is where I am trying to Union or tie all the pieces together so I can cut out the image a one unit not not have pieces just falling out. which is usually happens to me as I cannot figure out the last step here. Everything I do with the Path eliminates everything. I am actually surprised I have accomplished as much as I have. I have tried for months to find instructions on how to create difficult designs to no avail. Image 1 I was not able to get the diamond on the top grouped in. I do think I like the design number 2 better.
Can someone finish this for me or give me step by steps directions on what I need to do.
Prefer the directions so I can learn the process correctly.

Thanks a bunch,

Diane Beckman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dianebeckman

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Help! Do not know how to finalize my design.

Postby Gigi » October 21st, 2016, 12:37 am

I don't know if you are doing all of your designing in SCAL or a combination of programs. but there are videos here under Broadcast and You Tube that will help you understand Union and Merge and Weld better.

Never mind - I just looked at the file briefly. I am not sure why you are adding the green circle because it cuts through the top of your diamond shapes. I put it in outline mode so I could see the design better and I think it will cut fine the way it is (try it on lightweight card stock). I can try to do it in the morning if I have time.

Both look fine to me without that inner circle, but sometimes you just don't know until you cut it. Have you done a test cut of it? The diamond above the cross on the left hand design needs to be moved a little as you have cut lines crossing over each other so you wont get a clean cut of that diamond shape.

I like both of them. I would suggest deleting the circle from each because I don't think it will give you the results you want, and then group each of the remaining shapes separately - that is all you need to do. You will end up with two layers - one design on one layer and one on another. If you look at each of then without the circle, I think you will see that the inside pieces will be attached together and there wont be that many pieces left behind. The circle actually creates more - at least that is what I saw when I looked at it.

It looks like you will have fewer pieces without the circle. You do have some problematic areas where some of your lines are thinner than others and may cut apart - again a test cut would be a good idea so you can see what you have. I think you have done a good job so far. You are going to have pieces fall away because of the open work design. I just don't see how the circle benefits you with that - It will cut through your design and not give you the result you want - as I see it. No harm in trying it each way to see the difference - you may be surprised. That is the best way to learn.

Hope that helps and makes sense.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby dianebeckman » October 21st, 2016, 12:59 pm

Thanks a bunch for your reply. I thought I needed the green line to weld all the pieces together to get a circle frame around the entire image. When I tried I did get fat and skinny lines and tried to figure out how to fix that with no luck. I want the image to cut out with openings like my sample with a circle frame around the entire thing.
I will try a sample cut. Was late last night to try.
Will let you know how it works and if I need more help.

Thanks
Diane
dianebeckman

Postby Gigi » October 21st, 2016, 1:56 pm

I just test cut it several times - both and then just the one you like best.

It's a very good job for a first try. I don't think I could have done as good a job. There are some cutting issues that I have noted before, but certainly all fixable. You have done a great job. Some thoughts underneath the photos. I think you have some lines cutting where they shouldn't and some not that should - but again, zooming in and checking the nodes will help. Hope this helps a little.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby dianebeckman » October 22nd, 2016, 5:26 pm

Gigi

That looks so much better than I thought it would. Thanks for looking at it. I will do some tweaking to finish.
You are a blessing to the board.

Thanks so very much, Diane
dianebeckman

Postby Gigi » October 22nd, 2016, 5:48 pm

You are very welcome, Diane. I am glad you found it helpful. Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help