Confused with Cutting

Confused with Cutting

Postby MaryGladys » October 13th, 2016, 10:45 am

Hello, everyone! So, I am new to the Silver Bullet! I bought it to cut leather patterns and I can do it! But....I need some understanding and haven't found the answer.

So, I set up my file in SCAL to cut out a 12 x 10 rectangle on a 12 x 24 mat. I set it for Origin cut and place the laser on the leather where I think it should cut and I guess where I think it should cut and where it does cut don't agree. Lol.

So, I am wondering.....what is the path of the cut and is it possible to have a test run before a cut really happens? Let me see if I an illustrate in the attachment....

First of all, I make the origin on the place where the SB controller is overlaid on the Cutter Settings. I line it up with the laser in fact!

Invariably, the cut starts about an inch further from the right than where I set the origin and I have no idea why? So instead of cutting a 12 x 10, it cuts a 11 x 10!

Thank you so much! I am pleased with this device, but confused with cutting path!

I am assuming the laser point shows where the cut will start? And how do I know the path it will take? And is there any way to make a dry run before it cuts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaryGladys

Cutter: SB-24

Re: Confused with Cutting

Postby Gigi » October 13th, 2016, 11:13 am

Patty -

I think you are confusing origin cutting and print and cut. You may need to go through the Learning Center info again to understand the steps - it's a lot of information to process when learning how to use a machine and new software. The fact that you have success in cutting your leather is great news.

When you are setting origin. you do NOT use the laser - you use the point of the blade. Your cuts are off because the laser is a distance the blade and is just for lining up the registration marks in print and cut.

The easiest way to do a test run is to use the pen holder and "draw" your cut. That is the easiest way to learn where things will cut based on where they are on the virtual mat to the machine - and will help you understand origin cutting and WYSIWYG cutting.

So again, set your origin (using the tip of the blade) on the lower right corner of the leather on the mat
and you will get a rectangle that is the correct size.

There is a learning curve, but you are doing great. Just take your time as you learn and it will all make sense with practice.

LMK if this makes sense to you and cuts as you want.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MaryGladys » October 13th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Thank you, Gigi! I really LIKE the idea of using the laser on where it will beging cutting, though. See, I had this happen right now.....So, line up the blade with where I want it to cut, not the laser...laser is ONLY for drawing, not for cutting then. I read the directions, but I hate to say it, I get easily confused having to remember the directions to the sewing machine and whatnot. Lol. Pathetic, aren't I? I blame it all on Mom brain, but I wouldn't trade my son for nothing!!!

It would be super cool to have the laser to line up the cut, though. I embroider and that is how it is for my sewing machine. SO see, that is where my confusion was.

Thanks for clarifying...one day I may use it for drawing but this is primarily for cutting. Again, it would be cool if we could use the laser for lining up other things than drawing....like cutting and engraving....

I am posting this picture for any other foggy person out there as a NO NO for the laser to line up!!!! This is what happens!!!!

Green is the actual cut, pink dot is the laser alignment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaryGladys

Postby Gigi » October 13th, 2016, 1:49 pm

I have an embroidery machine as well so understand the laser alignment.

Just to clarify, if you are going to use a pen and draw, you do NOT use the laser. You use the tip of the pen and adjust overcut and offset. Not trying to throw more at you - I just want to be sure you don't mix terminology.

Print and cut is when you have an image - let's say a clipart graphic of a dog and you want to cut out around the dog. Instead of printing it and cutting by hand, you would follow the print and cut instructions in the learning center and in the software itself - where you import the photo into SCAL, trace the outline to give you cut lines, print the pic with registration marks, line up the laser with those marks, and then the Silver Bullet would cut around the picture. That is a super simple example of what print and cut is. I did not want you to confuse that with drawing - or using the pen tool. Print and cut and drawing with a pen are two entirely different things.

When you get used to using the blade or tool tip to set origin, you will see how easy it is. But I certainly understand the confusion. Take it slow and easy and it will all be natural in no time!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MaryGladys » October 13th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Lol, Thank you! If I ever get to that point, I will reread! Thank you so much, Gigi! I figured it out and cut out my leather pieces. How awesome! I am learning the idiosyncrasies.... Just so happy to not have to cut these out by hand! Yeah! In particular the complicated curves. Such a pain cutting by hand!
MaryGladys

Postby Gigi » October 13th, 2016, 5:28 pm

You are very welcome. I am glad you are having success. Great to hear!

I am sure your hands appreciate the break from cutting! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help