Blade not turning?

Blade not turning?

Postby partyatyourdoor » September 14th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Hey, I am having issues with my Silver Bullet 24 in prof. series today.

I've been using the machine for a year now, sometimes for 8+ hours a day, so I've learned it inside and out.

Today it wasn't cutting well, so I changed the blade. Well 4 hours later and I've tried 2 new blades, a blade carriage cleaning, a cut mat cleaning, I've used my brayer really well, 5 kinds of paper, a variety of force settings, and 4 different cut patterns (all of which I've cut 20-50 times in the past with no problems), and the machine still isn't cutting cleanly.

Some lines are cutting really clean, while others are just tearing. (Photo attached)

Is it possible that my blade isn't rotating? That is the only thing I have thought might be happening. How would I fix that.

Other suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
partyatyourdoor

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24in

Re: Blade not turning?

Postby Gigi » September 14th, 2016, 3:17 pm

It looks like the blade is dragging and/or the file is the problem - just judging that from the cut. Can you upload your file so we can be sure that isn't the problem. Is this one of the files you have cut before?

The blade could be slipping in the holder or the holder in the carriage. Are you sure it is screwed in tight and not slipping? And yes, it does look like a bad blade, yet you said you have changed the blades out several times.

Are you using the setting tool? When you do a test cut, is it clean? What weight paper are you cutting and which blade are you using? What is your force and pressure?

And be sure there are no little bits of paper left in the blade holder.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby partyatyourdoor » September 14th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Hey Gigi - Thanks for replying. Yes, this is one of the files I've cut before, and it isn't just doing it on this file, it is doing it on all my files. All of which I have cut time and time again.

I tried 5 different colors/weights of papers, also all of which I've used in the past with no issues.

I have tightened and cleaned and re-tightened everything over and over today. I'm so frustrated!

I am using the setting tool, and everything is set as usual.

Test cuts are not coming out clean either. Even on my absolute favorite, always makes beautiful cuts paper. Even those test cuts are coming out jagged.

I'm using a 60 degree blade, have been cutting at 800 v today (which is normal for me) and my force has ranged from 30-120, and I am still getting the same jagged edged results.

I don't think there are any bits of paper in the blade holder, I even got out some pressurized air, to make sure it was all clean.

*sigh*

any other suggestions?
partyatyourdoor

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24in

Postby Gigi » September 14th, 2016, 4:25 pm

It really sounds like a chipped blade to me if you are getting jagged results on everything. It is rare, but sometimes a "new" blade can be chipped. Look at the tip of the blade with a magnifying glass. Seems that it almost has to be that or a dirty mat where the blade is sticking on bits of debris, but you said you cleaned the mat. If you have an unused one, you might try that just to rule things out.

Everything you said in the second post just says "chipped blade" to me as that is the only reason I can think of to have repeated jagged cuts (ruling out other things) , even on the test cut.

I would not suggest going up to higher forces as you could damage the blade that way by making it dig into the mat. Hmmm - can you feel cut lines in your mat when you run your fingernail over it?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help