cutting cardstock

cutting cardstock

Postby bgilmour » April 16th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I have a black cat cougar and I am making greeting cards. I hate to invest in a Big shot cutter and dies when I have a means of cutting cardstock at my disposal already. Although it may not do the job I need or want, I would like to try it. Money, when you retire, becomes a bigger issue than before. If anyone has any information, tips, or hints on cutting cardstock I would greatly appreciate the sharing of it. Even the settings you might use for the blade would be helpful.

If anyone has used the embossing technique on cardstock, I would like to know how that has worked out for you as well.

Thanks load for any help you can give me.
Betty Ann from Tennessee
bgilmour

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 18"

Re: cutting cardstock

Postby Gigi » April 16th, 2016, 3:25 pm

HI Betty Ann -

As you read through the forum, I think you will find a wealth of information on cutting card stock. Honestly, learning what works for you is the best way to go. There are many different weights of card stock and just as many brands - probably more!! All of that makes a difference as you are going to use a lower pressure to cut light weight card stock than a heavier weight. And different colors can cut differently. The most useful tool you have is the "test button" on your machine. It is honestly best teacher as those little test squares won't ruin page after page of cardstock and you can keep checking the cuts until you get your perfect square that just pops out without cutting into the mat. Always start at a lower pressure and work your way up.

Each machine is a little different, as is the way your blade may be set, the card stock you are cutting etc. You can see conversations on the forum where someone may cut a lightweight card stock at 60 and another may use 75. There is no absolute. There are many variables. Weather plays a part as well. If you live in a humid area you may find that you need to "dry" your media a little before you cut.

If you do a search for embossing you can also find many conversations on it. I believe there is also a video from Jo in Australia. Some have used the embossing tool directly, some emboss only on soft metal and leather (see below), and some make plates to create an embossing folder.

Here is the video on making embossing folders. http://youtu.be/8MUe5Fwsiv4. It talks about embossing on the Silver Bullet, but you would use the same technique for the Cougar.

Here is a video on embossing leather, but it also goes over the various elements of the embossing tool. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5724&p=94179&hilit=embossing#p94179

here is another conversation on success with embossing card stock. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5129&hilit=embossing

I think you will find a lot of useful ideas here - at least I hope so.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help