Cut a Large Vinyl Design

Cut a Large Vinyl Design

Postby heathertheresa » November 10th, 2015, 10:08 am

I have a design that is finished size about 24" x 36" that I would like to cut out of adhesive backed vinyl. I have a 24" silver bullet and a mat that is 12" x 24" so how do I get 36" of length cut? Do I need to cut it in sections and re-position the vinyl as I go? Or cut without a mat? Not sure how to get this one going! What tips or techniques are out there for large designs? Thanks for any help!
heathertheresa

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Cut a Large Vinyl Design

Postby Gigi » November 10th, 2015, 11:50 am

Most of the users who cut large vinyl designs do so without a mat. That would be the easiest solution. (there are longer mats you can purchase, but you really do not need to do that.........

Sure others will chime in.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

It depends upon the design and if it is easy enough to "split" it up into smaller segments. if it is, then you can cut in sections and use registration tools if need to "align" the sections. Some people use half circles, squares, triangles, etc. for the registration alignment "marks" that you use to align and then remove them from the final piece. Some designs might not need the registration tools and can be "eyeballed" for adequate alignment. Others do as Gigi said and cut the vinyl direct from the roll without the mat, however, in your instance - you are trying to go the full width of your machine's cutting capacity at 24" so placement will be very key because you cannot go to far to the left or you will go out of your machine's cutting range. Another thing to keep in mind - where the design is going to be placed and how easy it is to adhere it there and if there are "problems" that you might encounter that smaller "sections" would make it easier to place the design. For example, the bigger you have it the larger it is as one piece and the harder it is to get it to adhere properly without needing help, risking that it sticks to its self, wrinkles, etc. If on a window or something outside - weather and especially wind need to be considered - even a slight breeze (that you might not even feel initially) can cause an issue in trying to adhere a larger design (speaking from experience here!) If you can "split" the design up, I would recommend it for better ease in trying to adhere it for those types of reasons.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » November 10th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Thanks Melanie - I totally missed that the design was the width of the machine! Thanks for catching that.

I need a break from unpacking......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help