Perforations with punch tool

Perforations with punch tool

Postby jayvick » September 3rd, 2015, 10:14 am

Attempting to do perforation patterns with the punch tool for my SB on 14mil art paper.

I originally tried to plot the points with the line tool and pencil within SCAL but it would not cut the pattern. They weren't visible unless you hovered over the points with the tool, I don't know if that means something but when I opened preview and enabled "show nodes" it showed the points so I know they were there...

I then made the pattern in Photoshop and traced the image to do a print and cut. I got the machine cutting... Here is where the issues start.

The machine won't cut them perfectly. They are often unaligned and sloppy looking. Spacing isn't even and in parts where it is a straight line they aren't straight. I unsolicited the software settings and started playing with the V and F. I turned up the V to 265 and the F down to 45 and the pattern got tighter and less sloppy (still not perfect or as good as this machine SHOULD be able to do) but now with the settings adjusted it is not penetrating the material enough so not enough light passes through.

If someone could please help me out with improving my punch pattern and this issues that would be amazing! I was originally going to buy a KNK machine but a few people told me to go with the "amazing" SB for great punches and other abilities such as embossing. Not loving the decision currently...

Also, when I removed the material from the mat there is often marks from the adhesive/bumps on the back where the rollers are located that tend to ruin prints. Any fix to this? I get that the sticky mats are useful but I almost wish they would have designed this different.

By the way, I have the table attachments for my SB as I THOUGHT it would help, it hasn't.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
jayvick

Cutter: 13" SB

Re: Perforations with punch tool

Postby Gigi » September 3rd, 2015, 10:31 am

First of all, you can lay painters tape down where the pinch wheels run to prevent the adhesive sticking (it also cleans off easily so should not ruin your project).

You are making this harder than it needs to be. I suggests you watch the video that Rob created on using the punch tool and see if that helps you.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5778

There is also a video that Penny did as well to show a project she did based on the above video, Bot should be helpful to you. viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5792
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby jayvick » September 3rd, 2015, 11:03 am

Thanks for the quick reply!
I tend to over think things so after watching those videos I definitely having been looking at the wrong things.
I am willing to bet I have been getting the results I have been due to using a regular cutting mat vs the embossing mat. Also, the V and F I have been running has been way off compared to the recommended settings for the punch tool.
Will update my results in 2-3 days when the new mat comes in. :)
jayvick

Cutter: 13" SB

Postby Gigi » September 3rd, 2015, 11:32 am

You are welcome. I am glad the video was helpful. I was pretty sure it would make sense once you watched it.

And I get it. I tend to make things harder than they need to be at times, so I do understand. There is a lot of good information in all of those webinars that I am sure you will find useful as you explore all of the capabilities of the machine.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but based on the title of your post, if you are making perforations for folding, there is a much easier way. You can create a dashed line in the software in a separate layer so you can choose that layer to cut at a lighter force) and then cut out your shape and the perforations will be perfect. That's what I like to do. There are many different ways to get the end result. But I am not sure if that is what you need. You can also use the embossing tool to create fold lines.

If we can help, just let us know. Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help