Circles cutting as ovals

Circles cutting as ovals

Postby cherryse » August 18th, 2015, 5:51 pm

Hi, didn't know where to ask this question but in trying to cut out circles, I keep getting them slightly more oval and don't know how to fix. I would like perfect circles. Can someone help?
cherryse

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 18"

Re: Circles cutting as ovals

Postby MeFlick » August 18th, 2015, 7:00 pm

I guess the first couple questions are first, which program are you using and where are you getting the "circles" that you are trying to cut? Are they circles from within the program's basic shape, or are they circles you are "drawing", importing, etc.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » August 18th, 2015, 7:06 pm

In addition to the questions Melanie asked, what blade are you using, what is your overcut and offset and what material are you cutting?

Can you take a picture of what the cut looks like? Are you importing from another program?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby scrappydew » August 18th, 2015, 10:22 pm

I would also reset your machine to factory default. A number may have changed on the XP or YP settings which could exaggerate circles and stretch to make them ovals.

http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/silver-bullet-manual/resetting-the-silver-bullet-to-factory-conditions/
"If you always wait until the last minute... then it only takes a minute"
http://www.scrappydew.com
scrappydew

Postby cherryse » August 21st, 2015, 9:02 am

I have tried it a few different ways (especially the night that I was helping my grandchild with her school project and after a couple of hours and a stack of warped circles, I just gave up and used them anyway) If it's any help, the circles cut "taller" rather than "wider." I was using the circle from within SCAL and it still did the same thing. The cut is very slightly off but enough to cause me problems with getting things to line up properly after they are cut. Because the warp is so slight I don't know that a photo would show what I'm talking about.
cherryse

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 18"

Postby Gigi » August 21st, 2015, 9:32 am

Again- what is your overcut and offset? Which blade are you using? What material are you cutting? Did you do a machine reset? We are all trying to eliminate the cause for you but it's hard without knowing more information.

Have you tried a different shape? What happens if you cut a square? If it is off there, tell us how - that will give helpful information to correct it.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » August 21st, 2015, 6:49 pm

Also, another thought - were you making one circle and then moving it on the mat - since it is off just slightly - if you were moving it, it is possible that you slightly altered the circle shape. If you then made copies or duplicated that shape, then you would be repeating the same error on all the circles.

When creating a circle - make sure that your lock on your keep proportions is on and then enter the correct size you need the circle to be in the height and the width boxes. For a perfect circle, you would want to make sure that you have those identical - so for example the height would be 3.5" and the width would be the same. If you kept the project you were working on (which I doubt since it was circles for a gk's school project) check the width and height and see if they were the same.

Also, I would think it would be possible to slightly distort the shape if you had too much blade and/or force perhaps. I say this because you mentioned in your second post that it was off just "very slightly" and that you didn't think a photo would show what you were talking about.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help