need help with duck cloth fabric

need help with duck cloth fabric

Postby allorache » August 11th, 2015, 9:25 pm

I have the silver bullet and am trying to cut shapes for applique from duck cloth. I got one beautiful cut, so I know the machine is capable of doing this. All my other efforts have ranged from at best, torn and jagged to at worst the blade picks up the fabric and drags it around. I'm using a 45 degree blade, velocity 250 force between 150-170. I'm applying heat'n bond lite to the back of the fabric, and applying a little Ailene's tacky spray to help it adhere to the mat. I've also tried a 60 blade and using masking tape at the edges of the fabric. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!!
allorache

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: need help with duck cloth fabric

Postby Gigi » August 11th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Did you try the fabric blade? I have not cut it but throwing out normal things to check. Would always recommend the extra sticky mat when cutting material - it is super helpful. There is a video on YouTube showing cutting sail cloth -you might look at that to see if it helps. I don't think duck cloth is as thick as sail cloth and they are using the 6o degree long blade for that, but it might help? Cutting Sail Cloth

Sometimes with different fabrics you can get better results using starch, either spray on or brushing on a starch mixture. And other materials cut better sandwiched in between contact paper.

Hopefully someone who has cut it will chime in.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby allorache » August 12th, 2015, 6:50 am

thanks, that gives me some ideas to try. I saw the contact paper suggestion elsewhere on the forum but I'm not clear how you would do it. Do you peel off the backing and put the sticky side on top of the fabric? And then does it come off the fabric OK? Thanks
allorache

Postby Gigi » August 12th, 2015, 10:04 am

You can go to silverbulletcutters.com and see how to do the contact paper. It is also on the forum here in reference to cutting felt. and yes it comes off the fabric fine.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby allorache » August 12th, 2015, 2:33 pm

thanks again
allorache

Postby Gigi » August 12th, 2015, 2:38 pm

You are welcome.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » August 13th, 2015, 8:46 am

Also try 100% liquid starch (sta-flo and the like) to duck cloth before cutting. Let it air dry and press to the best of your ability. Duck cloth is pretty rigid, and has these little grooves in the fabric.It is not a "smooth" surface. The starch can make this rigid fabric even out a bit.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby allorache » August 13th, 2015, 2:10 pm

OK will give that a try too thanks
allorache

Postby allorache » August 16th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Just wanted to update and thank everyone. So I got some Sta-Flo, mixed at 1-1 with water, and pretty much soaked the fabric and let it dry overnight. Then I found some clear laminate (not contact, Duck brand) and placed it on top, and extending past the edges of the fabric. (Bonus: looks like it will also work as transfer paper for vinyl) I used a 45 blade, velocity 300 force 175. It did tear the contact paper but made a usable cut. There were a few spots where it didn't cut all they way through, but I was able to hand cut those spots. Wondering for next time -- do you think better to increase the force or go to a 60 blade to try to solve the issue of it not cutting through in spots? Thanks again for all the help. I'm very excited that I finally have a usable piece.
allorache

Postby Gigi » August 16th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Did you do a test cut? I would start there. Can you determine if it is at certain points that you don't get a clean cut - like at an angle? I would probably try the 60 degree and see what kind of a test cut I got compared to a test cut with the 45 degree. I would probably also cut a circle and square using each to see if there is a noticeable difference. And I would increase the force based on the results of the test cut and also seeing if one blade seems to handle the duck cloth better than another......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » August 17th, 2015, 7:20 am

I think you would do better to just use an extra sticky mat, rather than placing another media on top of the duck cloth. You are enlarging the depth of what needs to be cut. If you use an extra sticky mat, there is no need to put another media on top of the duck cloth. I know what you thinking, to smooth out the grooves of the duck cloth material, but the sta flo will help with that some. I believe you should use the 60 blade like gigi said, and also test cut the sta-floed duck cloth without the laminate on top. The sta-flo is really the best stabilizer for any fabric to be cut with a plotter. The problem is, it is now so hard to get!
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby allorache » August 17th, 2015, 2:20 pm

pigtail Pat, I didn't have any trouble finding sta-flo at Walmart, so you might try there if looking for it. Thanks
allorache

Postby pigtailpat » August 17th, 2015, 6:42 pm

My local walmart doesn't carry it. Very frustrating.
pigtailpat

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help