detailed cut out of heavy weight paper.

Re: detailed cut out of heavy weight paper.

Postby kim » April 29th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I do remember doing a PNC on glossy paper and I cut on the glossy side. I didn't have a problem. I am not sure what weight the cardstock was, but it is thicker than your normal cardstock. If I remember correctly, it was not a detail cut but maybe a scallop edge with holes. It was several years ago and my memory is fading. LOL. If I remember correctly, I also used a slower speed (this was at a time that I didn't not crank up my speed because I had a fear of high speed). I would think that a multipass would work to cut through the top layer of "gloss" and then the second cut would cut the rest of the way through.

I would check the blade. I would think that having a sharp blade would be important on getting a clean cut on the glossy.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby LimaDesigns » April 30th, 2015, 11:27 am

this is the paper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LimaDesigns

Cutter: SB 13"

Postby Gigi » April 30th, 2015, 11:51 am

I have digital gloss paper but not that brand. Are you still going to send me the design to try?
Did you have success trying it on a different card stock?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby LimaDesigns » May 12th, 2015, 9:37 pm

hi, sorry i was MIA, i got caught up with a complicated order.
i tried a different cardstock and wasnt able to get a clean cut, ended up changing the whole design. I wonder if my blade is dull, how often should the blade be changed?
also, when should the 60 detail blade be used?
thanks
LimaDesigns

Cutter: SB 13"

Postby Gigi » May 12th, 2015, 10:19 pm

There is no specific time as to when a blade should be changed. If a blade is cutting something heavy weight or with plastic or other materials, it is goign to wear out faster than a blade cutting vinyl or regular card stock. I can go a very long time without changing a blade, but I mainly cut cardstock - laser transparencies every now and then, and try not to cut into the mat. Of course that will wear it down as well.

As far as the detailed blade goes, it's user preference. Some use the detailed blade for almost everything. I can get VERY detailed cuts with my regular blade so for me, if I was getting good cuts I wouldn't worry about it. If I could not get the detail I wanted then I would certainly use the detailed blade, which I have under those conditions. There is really no right or wrong when it comes to that. Over time you get to know your machine and what it can do and should do and you learn when you need to make changes.

Hope that helps a little. So much is trial and error. A blade could last 6 months for one person and one month for another just because of what they are cutting.

You can still send me the design if you want me to try it.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help