detailed cut out of heavy weight paper.

detailed cut out of heavy weight paper.

Postby LimaDesigns » April 28th, 2015, 8:10 am

hi all, im having trouble cutting a very detailed design out of 100lb stock.
i've cut a bunch of times but never attempted anything this detailed.
im using my 60 degree blade.
i've tried a mixed setting , all the way up to 400v 210f.
can anyone help me ;( im including the image so u guys can see. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LimaDesigns

Cutter: SB 13"

Re: detailed cut out of heavy weight paper.

Postby janrichards » April 28th, 2015, 8:22 am

Try using multiple cut, if you cut it and get it to go through with multi cut be sure to take it a little slower than usual. That weight shouldn't bee too much for cutting but it may take several passes. As lo
ng as you don't move the mat you can check to see if it cut through and cut again if necessary.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby LimaDesigns » April 28th, 2015, 8:25 am

i just went all the way up to 700v and 171f on my click #3 ..;(
LimaDesigns

Postby Gigi » April 28th, 2015, 9:27 am

I agree with Jan. Slow it down - both force and velocity. and use multicut (in the software) so it cuts the same image several times at a lower pressure and lower speed. It would also make a difference on the kind of card stock you are cutting - it is a watercolor paper that is fibrous or is it smooth. If smooth, you should be fine with just lowering the speed and force. I would take whatever your test cut is that is good (let's say 100 - I can usually cut 100 lb stock at 90 or so but each is different) drop it down to 70 and try 2-3 passes. Don't try this on the design. Make a small square first and do a multi cut on that until you get a nice clean cut and then try that combination on your image.

It sounds like your force and speed are too high to get the detail you want.

You can also try the 60 degree detail blade if you have that. If not, let us know what happens cutting at a lower force multiple times. That should make a big difference.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » April 28th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Exactly WHAT is the problem - I don't see that you have listed it - but maybe I missed it. Is it not cutting through? Not cutting in some spots? tearing in spots? We need to know exactly what the problem is in order to best help you figure out how to fix it. Jan and Gigi both gave good general advise on cutting in general. Both have suggested that you lower the force and the speed significantly and use the multicut feature - have you tried to do that yet?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Suzan » April 28th, 2015, 2:29 pm

I have found on very dense media including my rhinestone template material. If I do 2 cuts over one, it is a cleaner cut, my blade lasts a lot longer and any little chads that happen disappear.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby LimaDesigns » April 28th, 2015, 6:52 pm

im sorry, i guess that would help, huh?
it's not cutting through and it's not cutting clean, it's not tearing off though.

I thought i was using the 60 degree blade. there's also a 60+ that's longer, right?
i went ahead and bought everything. ;)

im unfamiliar with this multi-cut procedure.
it sounds like it's just a "repeat" of some sort, like do the whole cut process over and over. yes?

(thank you guys soooooooo much)
LimaDesigns

update

Postby LimaDesigns » April 28th, 2015, 7:21 pm

update:
yes, it's an option when you go to cut- i found it and here's what i tried and my results.
60 degree blade
#3 click blade holder
170 V
93 F
offset .70
overcut .60
4 multicuts
i got tears and barely any clean cuts.
oh, and the paper is gloss cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LimaDesigns

Postby Gigi » April 28th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Have you done a test cut? (with the test button?) At what force do you get a clean rectangle cut.

My blade offset is .3 and my overcut is 1.00

Are you cutting your design or the simple shape I recommended? Let's get a good cut with the simple shape first and then move on to the detailed design.
to give you an idea, I can cut 90 lb watercolor paper at 70 and stardream card stock which I believe is 120 lb at 100 (I am not sure of the weight of the stardream, but it is at least 100 - I think more..._ so that is just an example.

How far is your blade sticking out when you have it on the click blade holder at #1. Curious as I am trying to figure out how much your blade is out at 3. Also, are you using the setting tool? Is your mat warped at all? Is the card stock well brayered?

Lets get a good simple cut first and go from there. Use the test button and tell me what force you need to get a clean rectangle with that (there will be a little chard at one corner - that is normal).

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LimaDesigns » April 28th, 2015, 9:20 pm

BRAND new mat.
how am i supposed to measure how far the blade is sticking out? i used the spacer, it's almost toudching down on the spacer but i can slide the spacer in and out without it touching.
what is the setting tool?

clean rectangle at
v: 240
f:190
LimaDesigns

Postby Gigi » April 28th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Spacer and setting tool are the same thing. And yes, that is how it should be set - easily moving in and out but almost touching....

As you turn the click blade from 1 to 6, it pushes the blade out further each time. When I am on #1 on the click blade, my blade is barely out, less than a mm. I know some like a full mm . User preference. And you can measure with a simple ruler.......

That is a really high force for 100 lb paper unless it is dense but if it's just regular glossy cardstock it should cut well at much less. Something seems off to me. Are you sure the blade holder is not slipping in the clamp? That could explain why you have some cuts that go through and some that don't.

I have never had to do this with glossy card stock, but again, I know there are a lot of different brands. You could try to brayer the glossy side down so you are cutting from the matte side and see if that makes a difference in your cut? I think it's worth a try.

Back to the test cut. Take something that has a little more detail - something out of the SCAL library like one of the swirls or a snowflake from the winter section and see how that cuts with the setting you used successfully. If it doesn't cut as well as you want (which it should on one pass ideally) then try a force of 90 2 or 3 times.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LimaDesigns » April 28th, 2015, 10:38 pm

thanks for all your help, im trying tests of a swirl i got from the library.
so now i have a almost clean cut. it's just not cutting all the way at the edge or tips of the swirls. any suggestions? im playing with it...
now i put my offset and overcut like yours and
i tried 95v 100f 3passes and it teared the top layer of the paper and cut thought in some parts but not all. im getting frustrated ;(
this is actually not gloss cover, its printed on a lazer printer so appears to have gloss but doesnt.
LimaDesigns

Postby Gigi » April 29th, 2015, 12:10 am

Have you tried cutting it from the back side as I suggested? There is no way you should need to cut it with that much force unless it is made with plastic in it.... If there is plastic in it, it will wear down the blade rapidly and produce inferior cuts.

It's hard to imagine what kind of card stock it is........ if you want to send me some samples of it to cut I would be happy to do that.

But first, try cutting from the matte side..... see if that makes a difference............

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LimaDesigns » April 29th, 2015, 9:57 am

i can do that, but this is for an order due asap.
there's no plasic in it and both sides are the same, it's regular printer, white 100lb card stock. nothing special abt it
the blade should stick out the depth of a dime, correct?

it stinks that i know my machine CAN cut this but i just dont know how to do it.
again, thanks a lot!
LimaDesigns

Postby Gigi » April 29th, 2015, 10:20 am

Most gloss cardstock as a matte and gloss side. You have called it several different things so it is hard to trouble shoot as I am not sure what you are cutting. I was talking to Sherri last night and she said a lot of the gloss card stocks have plastic in them, so it might and you just don't know it. Again without testing it, it is hard to know.

Have you checked the blade to be sure it not nicked? That is another reason for tips of swirls, for example, not to cut and for you to get tearing. Check the blade under a magnifying glass. It happens.

Again without testing, I am at a loss. The force you are using is very high for 100 lb card stock. Are you cutting into the mat at all?

Will keep thinking but without testing it is hard to know. Having to get an order out while you are still learning the machine is an added hurdle as you are under pressure and that of course doesnt help. Can you try a different card stock? It could be the product you are using. Some are more cutter friendly than others.....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » April 29th, 2015, 11:24 am

Just a FYI.....if it is gloss paper, shiny on one side and matte on the other, or glossy on both sides (I do have some of that kind), it is best to cut on the matte side, with the shiny side down on the cutting mat. In the case of both sides being shiny, I just cut it. I really don't have a problem cutting it. Of course, I don't think I have done anything detailed with it.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby LimaDesigns » April 29th, 2015, 11:30 am

i see. i;ll keep that in mind.
so it i'm doing a print and cut i could make a crease point with my PICK on the 3 reg. marks, flip the paper over and use the MIRROR sideways option?
i can see there being a problem with the image side tearing or damaging from the sticky on the mat.
LimaDesigns

Postby LimaDesigns » April 29th, 2015, 11:34 am

im going to check the blade.
not cutting into the mat.
the paper is not glossy cardstock. i thought it was at first but that's because the ink from the laser printer adds a gloss but the paper itself is not. im going to try a different paper but for now, im going to have to try a different shape.
i'd love to send you the print with the reg marks and the scale project file for you to try. it's amazing that you'd be willing to do that for me. thanks!
LimaDesigns

Postby Gigi » April 29th, 2015, 11:38 am

Sure - happy to try it when I have the time - probably tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.... depending on when you send it.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » April 29th, 2015, 11:44 am

LimaDesigns wrote:i see. i;ll keep that in mind.
so it i'm doing a print and cut i could make a crease point with my PICK on the 3 reg. marks, flip the paper over and use the MIRROR sideways option?
i can see there being a problem with the image side tearing or damaging from the sticky on the mat.

I don't think I realized it was a print and cut. I would have to think about how to print on one side and then cut on the back as you would have to flip your cut image as well..........

Hmmmmmm......... thinking! Have not done it before, but might try it two different ways. You could do a print and cut on both sides of the cardstock - one normal and one reverse (and be sure they line up perfectly). Assuming they do, then just line up the reverse side. You could also print regular, turn it over, then reverse the image in the software and do a print and cut on a sheet of copy paper, line that up with the good image and tape in place on top of the good cardstock, line up the registration marks of the copy paper and remove it right before you hit cut. It makes sense in my head but not sure I conveyed it well in writing....... Those are the two things that come to mind. But I would probably try a different paper first if you have a choice to make things a lot easier!

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help