Trouble with Scan2Cut in SCAL4

Trouble with Scan2Cut in SCAL4

Postby Cheryldec » April 27th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am feeling a bit desperate for help, so I am hoping someone might be able to guide me. :banghead: I just upgraded to SCAL 4 and I have been trying (for days!) to do a scan2cut. I have read the documentation and watched every YouTube and LC video I could find. Took copious notes. Before I state my problem, let me tell you what I have done so far:

Scanned an image.
Adjusted it in PhotoShop and saved it as a PNG.
Loaded Image in Scan2cut and aligned the green boxes over the dots, then aligned the crosshairs over the dots.
Did a trace and set the blackout option.
Checked the preview for reg marks - A-OK
Printed the image. I put the blackout layer behind the color layer for printing.

This is where the the trouble starts (2 issues):

Issue 1: My image prints poorly - looks like a low res scan. I scanned it at 350 dpi.
Issue 2: When I am finished with the Scan2Cut portion and it places it on my mat, it places it in the upper left corner of the mat. The dots are aligned perfectly in Photoshop, but are not alligned on the mat. They are off the left and top margins. If I try to move the image to the center of the mat, the reg marks remain in place.

I have tested the image by printing in directly from Photoshop and it's fine.
I have calibrated my machine and tested a simple print and cut. It's fine.

I have not tried to cut yet.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Cheryl
Cheryldec

Cutter: Silver bullet 13"

Re: Trouble with Scan2Cut in SCAL4

Postby Gigi » April 27th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Running out the door but have an unrelated question of sorts. If it's just an image, would it be easier to must bring it into SCAL and do a trace of the object??

Might be easier and faster but then I don't know if you are pulling an object out of paper or if it is more like a digi stamp etc. If it is a traceable object, that is what I would do in the meantime........

Sorry for the quick reply - on a deadline for a grant application. Hopefully someone else can step in - I know PennyDuncan has worked with the Scan2Cut...
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Cheryldec » April 27th, 2015, 8:23 pm

I have a sticker from a paper collection that I want to resize, print and cut. I am confused by your suggestion in your response above. How do I get registration marks on a scanned image without using scan2cut?

If anyone out there can help, please see my original post above to review the issues I am having. I will also try to reach out to Penny Duncan. However, when I click on the link (her name above) I get a message that I am unauthorized.

I have spent countless hours over three days trying to figure this out and I am really frustrated. I know I am missing something, but I can't figure it out!

Cheryl
Cheryldec

Postby Gigi » April 27th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Read how to do a print and cut in the Learning Center under the Software section. If it is just a sticker, basically scan it as you have, save it as you have, bring it into SCAL with either place image or trace image. Trace the sticker so you have the svg image and save it with the image layer and then proceed doing a print and cut through the SCAL software. Have you done a print and cut already? If not it's just the same unless you have many images and you are trying to isolate the one part.

Unless I am misunderstanding, I think it would be easier to do a regular print and cut. Feel free to PM the image to me so I can see what you are doing and understand. I don't want to give the wrong advice if I can help it! Or you can email it to me at gigi@silverbulletcutter.com or PM it to me.

I will let Penny know you are asking, but you can always PM her.......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » April 27th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Hey Cheryldec ......I believe I'm understanding your description you're given correctly....and if I do one thing sticks out in my mind......you say you have your image "whether it be a sticker, magazine image, stamped image...whatever it might be......and you have it on your paper......for example if it's say a stamped image.....you take the actual image and make your registration dots in the 4 corners of the page......now once you have the marks on the paper with the image you're wanting to cut out.....you scan the image into your computer......you really don't need to do anything with it in any other program......just scan it...save it to say your desktop.......OK...now Open SCAL......open the Scan and Cut tool.......load the image you just scanned.......and do your registration alignment as you describe above......

Now...Once the "image" is on the virtual page in SCAL you do the trace.........You ONLY want to do the blackout trace....and while you click to bring in the image......with the trace....you WILL NOT PRINT THE IMAGE FROM WITHIN SCAL.....BECAUSE....you ALREADY have the item your going to cut out.....I hope that makes sense......so it doesn't matter whether the image is on top or bottom layer.......

Now you will load the image you already have.....(the one you scanned into your computer) an load it into the machine.......THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL CUT......so click to cut and then click on the Print & Cut option in the bottom left corner of that window......and when you align the marks you'll align all 4 marks.....and it should now cut correctly.....does that make sense???????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Cheryldec » April 28th, 2015, 7:38 am

Thanks to Penny and Gigi! Penny, I am going to work through your instructions before I bother you. Thank you SO much!

Cheryl
Cheryldec

Postby PennyDuncan » April 28th, 2015, 9:35 am

Good Luck!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help