I'm breaking my blade points!

I'm breaking my blade points!

Postby elan » April 19th, 2015, 12:55 am

I'm a fairly new user with a 24" silver bullet. I used my first 60 degree blade forever, it seemed, but it became clear that it was dull, so changed the blade. Got an inch or so of clean cuts, then started getting terrible corner cuts. I thought maybe I had somehow chipped my blade, put a new one in and was fine for a second forever ( 41 yards of wallpaper ). But, I had to change the blade again and the same thing happened. Twice. My guy got out his handy dandy magnifying face shield and I'm definitely chipping the tip off the brand new blades. We could see the difference between a blade that was simply dull and the brand new one with a broken tip.
I'm cutting a painted wallpaper blank stock (wall liner) that is a non woven polyester material. About the thickness of cardstock, but not as dense. I do use a homemade 6' mat out of a harder polycarbonate than the Silver Bullet mats. I think the first blade I broke was due to not reducing the force a bit to compensate for the new, sharp blade - but I did adjust on subsequent changes. I'm cutting at a force of 70, which is what I seem to need to get a clean cut on this material.
Any suggestions, thoughts or wild guesses are welcome!
elan

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: I'm breaking my blade points!

Postby Gigi » April 19th, 2015, 2:04 am

I can think of a lot of possibilities, but they are guesses since you are using materials that we are not familiar with.

--Is there any chance you are hitting the edge of the mat. That is an easy way to chip a blade.
--Are you digging into the mat at all when you are cutting? That will dull a blade and could chip it.
--What are you using for adhesive on your mat?
--Are you using the test button to be sure that the force is correct or are you judging from the cut. Doing the test cut will allow you to use as low a force as possible and still get good, clean cuts...
--Are you using the Silver Bullet blades or a different blade? That can definitely make a difference...

Could it be any of those things?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby elan » April 20th, 2015, 11:51 am

Gigi,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Guesses are good, too! It could be any of those things, except...
Definitely not hitting the edge of the mat.
I'm using a Silver Bullet blade, test cut is nice and clean, as is the first inch or so of pattern. You can tell when the tip breaks, because suddenly corners start tearing. I'm adjusting all the new blades the same, with the dime and the little sheet that comes with the machine
I guess the mat is the most likely suspect, It's a polycarbonate sheet with spray adhesive. I do score it lightly when I cut, but not deep enough to catch my fingernail. In other words, I can see a line, but can't really feel it. But maybe one of those lines is just deep enough to catch the tip when the blade makes a turn. I'm just puzzled why some blades have had no problems at all, and others self destruct almost immediately!
I'll put the next new blade in (as soon as they get here) and use my Silver Bullet commercial mat for a bit and see what happens.
Sure wish I could get one of those mats in an extra long size!
elan

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby rachellann » April 20th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Is this a pre pasted wall paper by chance if so that glue will dull the blades faster.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » April 20th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Also - is there any plastic in the wallpaper at all as that will dull the blade and cause it to wear down rapidly.

The scoring in the mat that you are seeing sounds like the adhesive scoring that we all see when the blade cuts through the adhesive. As long as you cannot feel it with your fingernail, that is good.

You might also try using the renu sheets on your mat? And why are you using a dime with your setting tool? And did you change the soft landing setting by chance? Grasping at straws........

Have you changed the wallpaper that you are cutting - the times when you have had no trouble vs. the times with trouble......? Again, searching for an answer/solution. If you want to send me a sample of the wallpaper I would be happy to test cut it. Is your file simple or detailed? Forgive all of the questions - just looking for something to make sense.....
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help