Tips for flattening the mat

Tips for flattening the mat

Postby aspenvanhooser » April 12th, 2015, 1:03 pm

Any tips to flattening out a mat when you have been cutting on it for a while? I was thinking of using a heat gun but didnt want to burn the mat.

Thanks!
aspenvanhooser

Cutter: SB 24

Re: Tips for flattening the mat

Postby Gigi » April 12th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Are you just using the outside pinch wheels? Are you rotating the mat after each cut or so? Rotating the mat is a huge help. My mats don't curl like they used to because I rotate them and also shift as I can where the pinch wheels run so they are not running in the same exact spot all of the time.......

Do not use a heat gun on the mat. Just keep rotating it. There are tips and tricks all over the forum if you do a search, but rotating the mat is one of the key tips.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby aspenvanhooser » April 12th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have a 24 inch machine and the large mat. I actually used a steamer to flatten it out and we are back in business.

Thanks again
aspenvanhooser

Postby Gigi » April 12th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Glad that worked for you and we know people do that, but it is not anything we recommend as it can warp the mat even more over time,especially if you get it too close or too warm.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby aspenvanhooser » April 12th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I agree too hot and it could warp the mat badly. I basically used a clothing steamer (not an iron) and a rolling pin. I put paper on the sticky side and steamed it from the back. Two passes later I dried it off with a towel.
aspenvanhooser

Postby Gigi » April 12th, 2015, 2:59 pm

I totally understand what you are saying - just reiterating, from Sherri, that we do not recommend heating the mat in any manner.

Good luck.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » April 12th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Do NOT use an iron, even on a very low setting and a towel. Tried that a very long time ago and completely ruined my mat. Of course, I was willing to ruin it since it was so warped. I have learned to put my rollers on the outer edge of my mat (on the non cutting area) and to move my mat around. I have been using the same mat now for quite some time, only having to ReNu it every so often.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby janrichards » April 13th, 2015, 8:21 am

Someone else suggested cutting on the back of the mat once the stickiness wears off so that is what I have been doing and it works great. When the stickiness wears off this side I will turn it over again.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby Gigi » April 13th, 2015, 9:19 am

Absolutely Jan - thanks for adding that. It's easy to put a piece of contact paper on the original front side (to cover the stickiness) and the prepare the back side and use that - it works well! As long as there are no deep cuts through (obviously!), it's a great way to extend the mat.

Thanks Kim as well for the warning -

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » April 13th, 2015, 7:23 pm

I have found that the mat size I use (can't remember the exact dimensions but it is about 18 inches one way) is the perfect size to fit under two of the rollers to be on the blue sides of the mat. I have no issues with my mats warping now. I have a 24" machine. No rollers on the cutting area of the mat and so I don't have an issue with the sticky getting on my rollers either. It's just a win-win all the way around.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » April 13th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Totally agree - if I can keep the pinch rollers on the outside edges (and I have an 18" machine) no problems either....... :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby aspenvanhooser » April 18th, 2015, 11:39 am

Just wanted to follow up. Basically I stream the mat every 20 runs and it seems to remain flat. I also rotate it 180 degrees every so often. I probably should have specified, I have the 27 x 29 in mat so turning it 90 degrees isn't an option. I tried a couple of the suggestions like less rollers, but the mat swims all over the machine. Just to be clear, the machine is amazing and the mat is pretty good. I have cut about 2000 pieces for a project I am working on thus far. Overall very few issues.
aspenvanhooser

Postby Gigi » April 18th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Great to hear and I understand about the mat size - I have the 18" and have an extra 5" internally so I assumed (yes that gets me into trouble!) that you would have 5 extra inches as well in which case it would work. Bummer.

The two outer wheels should hold the mat in place. Are you sure the pinch wheels are positioned over the grit shaft Depending on what you are cutting, that should be firm enough to hold it. So do double check the positioning of the pinch wheels. Also, if the pinch wheels get "gunky", they will not hold as well.... So please check both. That should be helpful.

Sounds like you have a huge project going - wow. Hope you will share with us when you are done! Eager to see it! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LimaDesigns » June 10th, 2015, 11:55 am

this JUST happened and my first thought was, "I MUST LET EVERYONE KNOW!!"

I was starting to dislike this machine because of these darn mats, the curves were getting caught on my blade and ruining them. So all i did was place the adhesive protector, film, paper, thingy on the mat then I rolled the mat up tightly- short side- going the opposite direction of the curves and secured it with 3 rubber bands wrapped tightly as well. 2 about 3 inches in from each end and one in the middle. i left it alone for 1.5 days and it's like new again. im soooo happy. I dont know if someone already came up with this method but it's super practical and wanted to share in hopes of helping you guys. ;) now im off to buy new blades
LimaDesigns

Cutter: SB 13"

Postby Suzan » June 10th, 2015, 12:36 pm

As I use my mats, I rotate them with every cut 1/4 turn. It helps slow it down with the curling. and store them flat with the sticky side covered facing down with something on top.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » June 10th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Well yes don't heat them, but you can put them in the sun on something warm.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help