Drawing and Mixing Lines SCAL4

Drawing and Mixing Lines SCAL4

Postby bidgeeman » March 24th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Hi,
I have just installed SCAL4 and having a lot of trouble just trying to draw a single line with the Draw tool.
It always seems to want to make a complete shape instead of allowing me to draw a single line?
The reason I need to draw single lines is that I want to be able to set some lines to Pierce and some lines to Cut.
Can someone help me out please?

Many thanks
Bidge
bidgeeman

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13 inch

Re: Drawing and Mixing Lines SCAL4

Postby Gigi » March 24th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Take the draw tool click and drag it over as long as you want the line, click again and they select the selection arrow (at the top). I know it will look like the line is going over there, but when you click on the selection arrow, only the line will remain. (straight line in photo)

You can also do the same as above, but if you don't like seeing the line travel over to the selection tool, when you do your second click at the end of the line, right click and a menu will appear. Just ignore it and to go the selection arrow and click it - the menu will go away and you will be left with the line.
(diagonal line in photo)

You can then edit the line to be dashes or whatever in the line edit menu where the art palette is.

Obviously I don't know what you want to cut or pierce, but you can take a vector shape, ungroup it if needed and break it apart and then you can select the individual lines to be what you want them to be - if you don't want to draw each one. Hope that makes sense.

Since you have JUST installed the software and are a very new user, I would encourage you to get to know the basics of the software and the machine via the Learning Center before tackling a more complicated project like you are attempting. It will save a lot of frustration in the long run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby bidgeeman » March 24th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Thanks Gigi.
Yaaay! I got it :)
One more question please? How do I save my own shapes to the Library?

Thanks
Bidge
bidgeeman

Postby Gigi » March 25th, 2015, 12:55 am

You can find answers like that in the SCAL help menu. There may not always be someone on here to answer a question so it's always good to learn now to use the Help Menu in SCAL and also the search feature in the forum.

Instead of save project as, click on save project and no matter where you save it, it will save in the "my projects" of the library. (you can find that in the help menu under Settings>My Library)

You can also take a project that you have saved elsewhere, copy and paste it into Documents>CraftEdge>My Projects.

Don't be afraid to experiment with the software and try different things. That is the best way to learn and how most of us have done it.

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby bidgeeman » March 25th, 2015, 2:46 am

Hi Gigi,
Thanks so much for your help....but here's a wierd one that is happening to me and I don't know what it could be.

I am using print and cut.....most of my lines are solid cut lines but I have a few score lines too. What is happening is.....after the SB cuts the solid lines....it goes back over the whole things and re-cuts with dashes????? This results in slight tearing of the card stock. What is happening? What do I need to do to stop the double cutting?

Update....I just unionized all my dashed lines to one laye and all my olid lines to a seperate layer and for some reason SB cut the first object ok....but then went over the second object twice again? Not sure what is going on . Please help!!!!

Thanks
Bidge
bidgeeman

Postby bidgeeman » March 25th, 2015, 4:12 am

Ahhh....I solved my problem with a quick search :) I had multiple layers visible when cutting.
Hopefully I should not have any more hiccups but it's nice knowing there's help available on this great forum :)

Thanks again
Bidge
bidgeeman

Postby Gigi » March 25th, 2015, 9:42 am

Glad you figured it out. Just a reminder as we give to all - you should not be tackling print and cut until you have been through the learning center, practiced a lot, and have a clear working knowledge of the machine and the software.

Good luck getting to know your new machine!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby bidgeeman » March 25th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Thanks Gigi. I have been through the learning center extensively after I purchased the machine, while I was waiting for some accessories to arrive, and it was a godsend in getting me up and running so quickly yesterday. I am a software developer and graphic artist by trade so the learning curve mainly revolved around how the software functioned. The machine itself is fantastic and is cutting like a demon. Again many thanks for the help.

Cheers
Bidge
bidgeeman

Postby Gigi » March 25th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Good job!! The Learning Center and the forum and videos are all great ways to become comfortable with the machine AND the software. Good for you.

We will all be eager to see what you are busily creating when you are ready for the "big reveal"! :) I love seeing the imagination of others at work!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help