How to weld, or whatever

How to weld, or whatever

Postby janrichards » March 3rd, 2015, 1:10 pm

I have an open sided box that I would like to use for my daughter's wedding. I also have a file (tree) that I would like to put in the open spaces on each side but I can not figure out what to use to get the two things to weld together. I am using SCAL and I have done, select all, union; weld; group and none of those have done the trick. What should I be doing?
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Re: How to weld, or whatever

Postby Gigi » March 3rd, 2015, 2:29 pm

Weld is a temporary join; Union is permanent. If you click on the help menu of SCAL and read about Weld, I think he does a pretty good job of explaining the steps. If you want to send me the file I would be happy to look at it and take you through the steps of it.

From the sounds of it, I am not sure you have anything to weld - if the tree is in the middle of the open space. You can just group it. That's why I think I need to see it to wrap my brain around it! :) Feel free to PM it to me or email it - happy to look at it!

What fun to be working on something fun for your daughter's wedding!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby janrichards » March 3rd, 2015, 2:48 pm

Thanks for looking GIGI I did send you those files in a PM
Jan
janrichards

Postby MeFlick » March 3rd, 2015, 2:50 pm

Gigi - I thought the same thing then it dawned on me she said she has "an open sided box" and a "tree" that she wants to "put in the open spaces on each side" - so on 2nd glance on what she said - I take the "open side" to mean there is an open space there with edges around the sides that she wants to weld or join the tree to the edges of rather than having a box with a side that she wants to cut the tree out of. Is that it janrichards? Is the tree all one connected item or is there breaks in it?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » March 3rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

Thanks Melanie - just got the files. She has a window cut out where the tree goes. Duh on my part!! -

@janrichards
Which window do you want the tree in so I play with it the right way?? All four or what?? LMK.......

Then I will explain what I did once I know what you want - thank you!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » March 3rd, 2015, 6:23 pm

:D Gigi, not Jan but so you can explain it for her, I will note that in her first post she says she wants to put it on "each side" so I believe she wants it on all sides.

No "duh" on your part, I thought the same as you and was typing I agree with Gigi when it hit me that I missed the "open sided" part at first. Sometimes we just read too fast in order to answer I think. Why we are all here helping each other.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby janrichards » March 3rd, 2015, 6:29 pm

Yes I do want it on all four sides. Let me know what you figure out. Thanks for your help.
Jan
janrichards

Postby Gigi » March 3rd, 2015, 6:31 pm

LOL - yes I got that. I think the struggle is with the files being combined. I can get them to weld, but then the square will be cut out with the design - make sense? It's a square window being welded with a square shape.

I think what needs to happen is to remove the square openings in the box, break apart the tree square, and just place the inner design on each side so it stays. Does that make sense??

That is probably clear as mud - playing with it now - will post pics later in case someone can see this differently than I do! I think my brain is in a fog! LOL

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » March 3rd, 2015, 6:41 pm

Jan -

Will send you the file. I think that was the problem. I deconstructed the tree. They are not perfectly lined up, but I placed them to show you and I purposely added the fill so you can see what will cut and what will be left. I did it for me too - to be sure it would do what I thought. The weld was the kicker - that would not have worked - at least not that way. I kept welding it and looking and it never made sense to me. Hope this is what you want. Again - they are not perfectly lined up - but hope that is what you wanted.

I saved it as a scut4. Will PM you with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby janrichards » March 3rd, 2015, 6:50 pm

It looks okay I will try to cut it tomorrow. Thanks for all of your work.
Jan
janrichards

Postby Gigi » March 3rd, 2015, 6:56 pm

You are very welcome. You are really going to have some thin cuts - maybe you can enlarge those a little to give the design a bit more room...... I kept them the same size you had them - just took the outside apart.

Hope it works for you.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help