Print + Cut Help...desperate!

Print + Cut Help...desperate!

Postby clw4514 » February 24th, 2015, 6:04 pm

lace invite.jpg

Hi Everyone! I'm still getting settled in with my SBC. Love it! A bit frustrating on the learning curve but still over joyed!!

So, my road block is the print + cut feature. Of course, I go big right out the gate with it. I have an order of 180 wedding invitations that I must get started on. I was hired last minute and she needs them pretty quick. I have watched the video so many times and read the instructions but it just isn't setting in with me.

What I am trying to do:

Print the invitation with the wording and cut out the invitation with the lace.

What its doing:

Prints out all the cut lines and the wording and then cuts everything out...each and every letter. But, on the positive, everything lined up :D

I have attached the image so maybe some of you can tell me what I am doing wrong. The blue is all that I want to cut out.

Thank you!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clw4514

Cutter: SB-24

Re: Print + Cut Help...desperate!

Postby MeFlick » February 24th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Sorry, forgive me but I don't use SCAL with my machine and has been a while since I even opened it so don't recall a lot about it but does it have "layers" so that you can put the wording on one layer and the "cut" portion on another layer? You would then print with all layers opened and hen close the "print only" layer so that it is "hidden" from cutting. That is how it works in program I use and seems like SCAL does similar method.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby PennyDuncan » February 24th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Great suggestions Mel...but actually you don't really even have to do that......you can change your line type.......for the items that are PRINT ONLY....select the item and select the line type as PRINT AND CUT PRINT for the area that's going to be CUT.....you select that item and select the line type as PRINT AND CUT CUT......that way the software and machine know which is to be printed...and which is to be cut.......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » February 25th, 2015, 12:05 am

Thanks Melanie and Penny.

I tend to fall back on the old school method as I always forget that the software sees text as a cut file. Can I tell you how often I start to do a print and cut and have to abort the first one because I forgot about the text??!!?? You would think I would remember..........

That being said, I am glad you got it lined up, but Sherri begs everyone NOT to do print and cut before you have used the machine for a long time, and never try to learn and fill an order at the same time until you are comfortable with all of the features. That is just a recipe for disaster.

I am thrilled that you got it lined up and it sounds like you have a good grasp of it other than the text issue which seems to be resolved for you. I am just reinforcing for others that this is not something that is encouraged for new users. It is really important to learn all of the basic steps of the machine and get really comfortable with it before tackling print and cut. If you can learn under less "pressured" conditions, it will be better for you and save the frustration. I hate seeing anyone needlessly panicked!

Good luck with all you have tackled - hope you can take a deep breath when you finish this project and give yourself some time. Great job on getting accomplished all that you have....
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby clw4514 » February 25th, 2015, 9:53 am

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Penny - I had seen that function and totally forgot about it. What a life saver! I'm going to print + cut again. If it comes out right, I'll post a pic of the completed invitation :)

Gigi - You are exactly right. In the middle of a project is NOT the time to work with new functions. But, brides will be brides, and she decided to have me do the printing. I got her order late to begin with and she needs 180 invites/rsvp/info/registry cards in 2 wks. That song "Under Pressure" is continually playing in my head. lol!

Melanie - Fortunately, I did have layers and didn't even think about that.

again, thank you all for saving me :)
clw4514

Postby Gigi » February 25th, 2015, 11:03 am

Good luck! Would love to see the finished project! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » February 25th, 2015, 11:41 am

Good Luck!!!!! Can't wait to see what you create!!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby clw4514 » February 25th, 2015, 12:23 pm

and here it is. just need to finish cleaning it up. my center is off a bit. thx again for all of your help, ladies!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clw4514

Postby clw4514 » February 25th, 2015, 12:24 pm

this is the one i meant to upload
clw4514

Postby Gigi » February 25th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Beautiful job, Christy! Wow. The bride is going to be thrilled.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » February 25th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Oh I agree!!!! That is truly stunning!!!! No doubt she will be So thrilled!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby clw4514 » February 25th, 2015, 4:09 pm

thx ladies! i was truly intimidated! now to calculate the price :banghead:
clw4514

Re: Print + Cut -What should I be doing?

Postby KavonK » March 10th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Hi, I got frustrated too. My son, who has NEVER owned a cutter had to come over and set mine up. Go figure!
I sure hope I can figure out the rest of things myself.

So if you are not supposed to use a print and cut for a while, please explain what I am supposed to do with the machine besides read manuals. If I don't play with it, I won't learn how to use it. Tell me what I should be doing? I am being serious. I thought that is one of the big things it is supposed to do. HELP
KavonK

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Postby Gigi » March 10th, 2015, 10:58 pm

As you read the manuals in the learning center, you should be following the basic steps. Start drawing with the test pen so you know where the machine will cut using origin and WYSIWYG. When you have a good understanding of where things will draw/cut on your mat, then you can work with a blade. Try different materials and get used to how much force you need to cut the different weights of paper and card stock. Which blades work best for you. Always start with a low pressure and go up by 10 until you get close. Use the test button to cut small rectangles. When you get a clean test cut then try sending a simple shape and again, get used to where it will cut using origin and WYSIWYG. Those are all of the things that are important to understand BEFORE you attempt a print and cut or it will be a really frustrating time for you and none of us want you to be needlessly frustrated.

Only when you can successfully cut different materials and feel comfortable, should you move to print and cut. And before you do that, you will have to calibrate the machine.

I am not sure what you needed your son's help with but glad he could help you. Setting up the machine is usually relatively easy. Calibrating the machine for print and cut (you only do it once) and lining up the laser with the registration marks takes time while you are learning and can be more difficult. Once you get used to it, it will get easier and easier and it will go quickly.

Before you do print and cut, you can also practice tracing your images as you will have to be able to do that before the actual print and cut process. All of those things are explained in the learning center. As you go through the steps, again, practice doing what you are reading about so you can get comfortable with the machine.

Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help