PRINT AND CUT

Re: PRINT AND CUT

Postby Gigi » February 25th, 2015, 12:40 am

I have not received a Dropbox invitation. When I do I will be happy to look a the video and will also share with Lisa as she does MAC support. I am very familiar with Dropbox so that is not a problem.

I assume you realigned your laser to the registration marks when you put tried to cut the earlier copy? Did you adjust the cut file in any way between the two files. It could be that there is a difference between what you printed and what you now have showing in the software. I have done that accidentally before - it will mess you up every time.

Why don't you print a few more from the file you have now and see if they consistently work. Just use copy paper or whatever you have that is inexpensive to be sure you are getting good cuts. You would at least know that things going forward are working.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CJFY Studio » February 28th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Hi Gigi,
Did you by chance get my invitation to Dropbox and sharing of the video? If I print with my computer, the cut comes out perfect. Sadly, however, the item being cut is 13" wide and too wide for my printer to print so I must have a copy center print it for me. This means that I need to apply the registration marks on my own in Illustrator. I have done this according to the video's directions here on SB's site. They look correct, but I cannot for the life of me get the cutter to cut even close to where it should be. If you can offer any assistance, it would be most appreciated.
CJFY Studio

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Postby Gigi » February 28th, 2015, 10:58 pm

No I have received nothing from Dropbox. It's not in my spam either......

I have not created my own registration marks so will rewatch the video and see if I can figure out what you might be missing......

Did you calibrate your machine using that printer? Have you tried adjusting your numbers (calibration numbers) to compensate for the amount that it's off and then see if you can get a good cut?

Just off the top of my head, I would write down the numbers that work for you on your regular printer so you don't have to recalibrate for that, then see if you can adjust to get the cuts to consistently work from the larger printer. It may be as simple as keeping two different sets of numbers and then entering the right one depending on which printer you are using. I am making a total stab in the dark with that advice since I have not seen the cut or heard of this happening with anyone, but it might be worth a try? I would print out a series of rectangles on inexpensive paper or card stock from the larger format printer and work until that lines up - save those numbers, and then see if your design will cut properly.

In the meantime I will try to watch the video in the LC when I have a minute and see if anything else comes to mind....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » March 3rd, 2015, 7:05 pm

Hi Gigi,

I re-shared the video with you. Please let me know if you don't get it again.

Also, I liked the idea of doing a simple shape on small paper from my commercial printer. It might take me a little while to get it back from my printer as her husband has been in the hospital, but that should help us get a better idea.

Thank you! I will keep you posted and please do the same if you get any more ideas to try.
CJFY Studio

Postby CJFY Studio » March 3rd, 2015, 7:42 pm

I forgot to mention, that there is no need to add any numbers to the calibration. When I do a print and cut from my printer it is so dead on. It is just when I am adding the registration marks in Illustrator that it isn't working correctly.
CJFY Studio

Postby Gigi » March 3rd, 2015, 10:15 pm

You are lucky. It is rare to get the calibration so perfect that you don't have to adjust it.

I do think you may need to calibrate it between the two printers though - it's worth double checking.

Just got your video and sent you a response. Thank you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby KavonK » March 10th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Okay so my son helped me set up my machine and it works like a charm. We had a split screen with SCAL and the video. I teach computers for a living and the video lost me too. Yes, I know they say not to use print and cut for a while but that is what I got the machine for and don't know what else I am supposed to be doing. :roll:

Once I got my laser calibrated, I never had to do it again. I just go to cut and print, print out my picture and place it into the lower right corner.

Now, I have never touched my origin button after the machine was calibrated. The cutter was automatically set on WYSIWYG.
I turned it on. The blade moved to it's place.
I moved my laser over the registration mark according to SCAL.
I clicked next, adjusted it to the next registration mark (ALWAYS using the buttons on the screen for adjusting, although it can take forever because my blade is always far away.
So Drop that laser to the first registration mark, click next, adjust, move to next mark, click next and once you are on the last one, click cut. Worked like a dream!

It's all about the laser being set correctly!
Now I can use print and cut off my screen and NEVER even print a picture. Just cuts from the screen. I am pretty proud of myself and more proud of my adult son, not ever seeing this before. He had a blast!

Next is changing layers to make a flower! I still have to figure out the blade yet, as not sure how to make it work for something thick. Have to read more on that yet.
KavonK

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Postby Gigi » March 10th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Sent you a PM and addressed some of your questions in the other post where you asked what you should be doing..........

Gigi
Gigi

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help