Cut outlines not 'closing' properly

Cut outlines not 'closing' properly

Postby twiggy » January 19th, 2015, 9:45 am

Hi! I've re-posted here as the post I jumped in on was quite old and had no replies (I've just realised :/ )... hope that's OK...

>>>I'm jumping in on this post because I'm having the same problem, plus the whole cut is consistently about 3 mm to the right of where it should be when using WYSIWYG.

IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

I have tried Reset (more than once), I have reinstalled SCAL, I have reinstalled the machine's driver and double-checked the settings. These 3 cuts were made with a new blade. I've tried cutting with more/less pressure and would say using more pressure increases the incidence of the problem slightly. I would say the blade holder is firm and secure in the clamp but it's almost as if the blade is bending? I'm not sure what to try next... ?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!<<<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twiggy

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Cut outlines not 'closing' properly

Postby Gigi » January 19th, 2015, 11:00 am

It looks like you are cutting a thick material from the photos. What are you trying to cut and which blade are you using? If it is thick, I would be sure to use the proper blade and lower the blade and use multi-cut. If you are trying to get through a thick material in one pass that will compromise the blade and the cut.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby twiggy » January 20th, 2015, 2:43 am

Hi Gigi, and thanks!

I'm using a 60 degree detail blade on what is - I would estimate - a cardstock of about 150 gsm. It does look thicker in the photo, but it is just very ordinary greeting card cardstock - slightly on the thin side, if anything. I've been cutting this design for a while now with no problems until recently.

The other problem is that all my designs, which fit pretty much edge to edge on my A4 card, consistently cut 2 or 3 mm to the right of where they should according to the picture I see of my cutting board on SCALs WYSIWYG. Again, this is a recent change, which is why I wondered if they were connected. I am, at least, able to predict this and compensate accordingly.
twiggy

Postby Gigi » January 20th, 2015, 10:45 am

If you are cutting relatively thin card stock, I would definitely try the 45 degree blade and see if you notice a difference. I use that blade for just about everything. I think it's worth a try. And be sure your blade isn't nicked - the cuts look a little choppy to me -again hard to tell from the pic.

I have to say, I am a fan of origin cutting. You know EXACTLY where your cuts are going to be when you cut that way. I think it is a much easier way to cut unless you need to do score lines and keep everything in place. Would give it a try.

What pressure are you cutting? Has anything else changed? Be sure you didn't accidentally change any of your cut settings and check your overcut. And do take the blade and put it under a magnifying glass. OH crud - you said you have a new blade in. Is your mat clean? Is it lying flat?

There is a brand new version of SCAL 4 - have you upgraded? I don't know why the WYSIWYG would all of a sudden be off unless a setting was accidentally changed. Try origin cutting to see if that at least takes care of one problem. And if you need to cut WYSIWYG, check your mat size and be sure that didn't change. Could you have moved the design over just a bit without realizing and that is causing it to cut over a little? Grasping for a reason!

Also, double check the blade holder and be sure you don't have anything caught in there......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby twiggy » January 20th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Thank you again, Gigi... that's quite a lot of info!

I'm fairly sure my mat is ok and I've checked the blade holder too. I do have some 45 degree blades so I'll give it a shot. I must admit I haven't even tried Origin cutting yet... when I first started with this machine the WYSIWYG instructions made more sense to me and I've stuck with it. Perhaps now is the time to try.

I'll definitely start with these two changes and let you know how it goes.
twiggy

Postby Gigi » January 20th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Good luck. Please let us know!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby twiggy » February 3rd, 2015, 2:28 pm

Update: I switched from a 60-degree detail blade to a 45-degree detail blade and the problem of the shapes not closing properly disappeared... YAY! I tried Origin cutting to see if I could eliminate the mysterious cutting-everything-3mm-to-the-right problem and actually found it less easy to predict the position of the cut, so went back to WYSIWYG. It was several days later that it occurred to me to measure the actual card... and it would appear I have purchased a whole box of card that is 3mm narrower than A4!!! Mystery solved!!!

Thank you so much for all your help and advice! :)
twiggy

Re: Cut outlines not 'closing' properly - RESOLVED

Postby Gigi » February 3rd, 2015, 5:52 pm

Thanks for letting us know that things are resolved.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » March 30th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Gigi,
I am having the same problem with 100lb card stock. I have tried both blades and the are behaving the same way. I also tried pushing the "repeat" button but the cutter just gives a little sigh and doesn't re-cut. Is there another way to perform a multiple cut?
Thank you.
CJFY Studio

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Postby jobab » March 30th, 2015, 6:49 pm

Hi
In Scal under the cutting menu there is an option to tick the multicut box and choose how many times you want to cut.
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby Gigi » March 30th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Not sure which problem you are having as several ended up being discussed here, but to do multi-cut, just selected it in the cutter settings of the the software. It is right about the speed and pressure settings and you can choose 2-5 times. Be sure, if you are going to multi-cut that you lower your force so you don't end up cutting into the mat. Normally you should not need multi-cut for 100 lb card stock, depending on how dense or fibrous it is. I can easily but 100 lb card stock in one pass, but again , not necessarily the same as yours.

If it works better, by all means do what works. Hope that helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » March 30th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Thank you Jobab,
Which menu is the cutting menu? I'm not seeing it under the "Cut Menu" or the "Appearance" or "Position"… Sorry! I must be blind!
CJFY Studio

Postby Gigi » March 30th, 2015, 6:54 pm

When you click on the button to cut, the little box that pops up....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » March 30th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Thank you Gigi,
I am having problems with my cut not closing. I attached a picture of where I see to change the speed and pressure but am not seeing a place to change the number of passes.
Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CJFY Studio

Postby CJFY Studio » March 30th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Thank you both! I just now saw the "Multi-Cut" button. Sorry, I was so blind!
CJFY Studio

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help