Inconsistant Cuts

Inconsistant Cuts

Postby RedPunchDesign » January 3rd, 2015, 2:55 pm

I'm using a 65 degree detail blade, 80# card stock. I'm getting a few good cuts and then the blade barely scratches the surface.
I will raise the force, and adjust the blade but the results are still crap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedPunchDesign

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Inconsistant Cuts

Postby Gigi » January 3rd, 2015, 3:04 pm

Check the FAQ questions at the learning center.

Check to be sure your 60 degree (we don't have a 65 degree blade) blade isn't chipped (and try the 45 degree blade as that will cut 80 lb card stock with no problem). Are you using Silver Bullet blades as a lesser quality will not perform as well.

Be sure your card stock is well brayered on to the mat. Is your mat warped? That can also cause inconsistent cuts.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby RedPunchDesign » January 3rd, 2015, 3:17 pm

Thanks for your speedy response!
I'll check out the FAQs
Yes 60 degree, you're right. It might have chipped. I had one do that before after it's first use, this one lasted a bit longer but I think there is a chip. I feel like I'm overly careful with handling, fitting, and cutting but I have no luck.
Yes I'm using the blades from "That's Scrap", are you saying they are of lesser quality?
I do have a new mat, that is straight and sticky.
RedPunchDesign

Postby Gigi » January 3rd, 2015, 3:34 pm

No - the blades from That's Scrap are a higher quality than what can be purchased elsewhere on the internet. Was just checking to be sure you are using a good quality blade - and you are!

The blades can chip if they hit the mat, for instance. And I would try a 45 degree blade (Sherri's recommendation as well) as you should have good results with that and not need the 60 degree blade. If you have a good 45, try that and see what your results are like.

Also - is that a new file or one that has cut well before? If it is new, check the file for excessive nodes........ just a few ideas!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RedPunchDesign » January 3rd, 2015, 4:38 pm

I just tried using my click holder with a 60 regular blade, and it worked ok. I got the detail blade because it's a somewhat intricate cut.
It;s an old file that cut ok before. It's just that the paper is a felt cover so I know that the cuts will never be perfect.
RedPunchDesign

Postby Gigi » January 3rd, 2015, 6:20 pm

I didn't even notice that you said detail blade - that shouldn't make a difference. If the card stock is textured at all (I have some felt covered and cut it easily with the 45 degree blade), turn it over and see if your cut improves that way.

I love the click blade and use it for just about everything, but it's user preference. Some love it and some don't and that's ok! :) glad you have it working but do try flipping the card over to see if that makes a difference - worth a try?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RedPunchDesign » January 3rd, 2015, 6:40 pm

Hmmmmm... Very interesting! So flipping it might change the way it cuts? I think it is a bit smoother on one side.

Ya know, I don't really know to much about the click blade, other than I can adjust the blade depth. Do you have any advice on it?

Many thanks for helping me :)
RedPunchDesign

Postby Gigi » January 3rd, 2015, 7:20 pm

Yes - flipping it can help if you have the smooth side up as then the blade is going into the smoother side and hitting less resistance initially. There are quite a few discussions on here about doing that with Bazill card stock and Coredinations among others. It might make a difference.

And just for the heck of it, I would try the 45 degree blade and see if your results change at all.

As for the click blade, I keep my minimum length on 1 and increase as needed. I think Elizabeth has her normal at 3 and uses one for vinyl etc (she is just the first one I could think of that uses it differently - not picking on her :)) - or something like that! My point is there is no right or wrong other than you never want to extend the blade out too much, but that is true no matter which holder you are using. You can click it through the paces and see how much more blade is extended each time. It is my favorite blade holder when doing regular cutting - it always has been. There are many who don't like it or who get better results with the standard holder. Again, it's really user preference. Experiment with it and see what you like. When I put mine in I keep the number I am using facing me so I can always see what it is on in case I need to increase it. So for me, I put it in with the 1 facing me. User preference! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RedPunchDesign » January 5th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Thank you Gigi!!!
I can't believe after all this time, I just found out about flipping the paper. So far it has made a world of difference! I can't thank you enough!
I'm digging the click blade too! I start it out on 1, and use a dime to set the depth. Going through this 100# felt cover stock I'm at the one mark, so I think that is a good thing!
Do you know of any workshops or conventions where Silver Bullet owners could get better acclimated? Heck, there should be a die-cutters convention! It could cover Laser and blade cutters, scrap bookers, and businesses!
RedPunchDesign

Postby Gigi » January 5th, 2015, 7:29 pm

I am so glad to hear that helped! It has saved a lot of us a lot of frustration. Not sure anymore who first shared that little tidbit , but it's a gem!

Sherri doesn't do conventions with the machine - it just isn't time or cost effective, so the best resources available are the forum, silverbulletcutters.com and individual blogs that are full of info.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RedPunchDesign » January 5th, 2015, 9:35 pm

The flip the paper tip should be on the first page of the manual LOL
Seriously I am ecstatic!

Do you know if there is a newsletter to let us know when new videos are posted? I wish there were more hours in the day! I would love to read more posts and review all the videos. I'd love to make some video tutorials to help out the newbies, but I still am one myself ha!

Thanks again Gigi!
RedPunchDesign

Postby Gigi » January 5th, 2015, 10:08 pm

You are very welcome, Lauren!

No there has not been a newsletter or new videos posted on the silverbulletcutters.com website in a while. I keep thinking about making videos to go over some basic things, but have never done it so the panic stops me right there!! LOL I looked at all sorts of software that will video your screen, but I have no idea what is good or what isn't as far as simple video software goes. Open to suggestions - then I just need extra time! :banghead: :banghead: :hide:

I will certainly mention it to Sherri. She is slammed right now with post Christmas orders, questions, etc while battling the Minnesota cold that is in the air - and in her unfortunately!

In the meantime I highly recommend googling on You Tube and the above mentioned website. And if you have a particular need, let us know. There may be a video out there that deals with it that is on someone's blog just waiting for you! :)

Thanks Lauren for letting us know that things are working well. It is nice to hear when we are trying to help if there has been resolution or not!

Have a great evening.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » January 6th, 2015, 8:23 am

If you want a retreat.... and like to travel, Thyme Graphics usually has at least one retreat a year. But she is in England :-) I don't think she has scheduled one for 2015 yet but that is the only person I know of that has any sort of retreat for the Silver Bullet.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby CJFY Studio » March 18th, 2015, 10:26 pm

What is a "click" blade?
CJFY Studio

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Postby Gigi » March 18th, 2015, 11:08 pm

It is the click blade holder and it is on Sherri's store site. It is a blade holder that has adjustments from 1-6. So, for instance, you can set your blade at "1" with it barely sticking out, and then when you turn the numbered dial it will extend the blade a little more with each number/click. Many of us use it and love it. It's all about whatever makes things easier for you and more comfortable.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CJFY Studio » March 30th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Thank you!
CJFY Studio

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help