Cartridges

Cartridges

Postby Sherry » January 1st, 2015, 1:11 pm

I am waiting for my Silver Bullet to hit my doorstep, first time buyer. While waiting, I need to figure out a way to get some of my favorite fonts & shapes off of my cartridges, that are now useless!!! The company/manufacturer I bought them from is NO help. Does any body have the know how to retrieve some of the fonts/shapes?
Sherry

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15"

Re: Cartridges

Postby Gigi » January 1st, 2015, 1:54 pm

Congratulations Sherry. I haven't had any cartridges in a LONG time, but I don't know if you can use the design software to save the shape and get it off. Short of that, (am sure there is an easier way but without the software I am answering blindly) can you open the shape (assuming you have the design software that goes with it), do a screen capture of the shape and then save it as a jpg? Then you will be able to bring it into SCAL with "Trace Image" and get it that way.

As for the fonts, I am guessing if you do a google search for like fonts you can find fonts that exist that are very close if not the same thing. I remember when I was using Quickutz and Sizzix dies there were a lot of sites that had lists of lookalike fonts that were very helpful. I think that would be the best way to duplicate the fonts.

Hope that helps a little. Perhaps someone who actually has the cartridges and software can give a much easier workaround.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Sherry » January 1st, 2015, 3:14 pm

Thanks Gigi. My cartridges are Sizzix eclips. I will try what you have suggested. I'm not sure my machine is capable to open up the cartridges at this point...I will check it out.
Sherry

Postby Gigi » January 1st, 2015, 4:04 pm

Ugh - I just had a long post and lost it!

I made an incorrect assumption that you were using a Cricut. Do you have the eCal software for your machine. I am assuming you could open them and save as an svg with that software. If not, if you just have a few shapes you love, you could cut them out of dark paper, scan them, save as a jpg and then import into SCAL as I mentioned earlier. But I am guessing you could fine something similar to take the place of the ones you love. I don't know if you have searched, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of svg files on the internet - for sale and free. Not all are the best quality but there are an unbelievable amount of free and paid that cut beautifully and are well made. I think you will be amazed.......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Sherry » January 2nd, 2015, 9:49 am

Don't you just hate when that happens...

I do have the eCal software, I will try whatever I can too retrieve some of my faves. It just really irritates me that I spent all that money on cartridges and they won't help me....grrrrr.
Thanks again
Sherry

Postby Gigi » January 2nd, 2015, 11:16 am

LOL - yep!

And trust me - many/most of us can identify with the wasted cartridges. I hate to remember how many of those I had AGES ago.........ugh!! But think of all of the money you can save in the long run not having to buy those anymore - and not being limited to what someone else decides you should want to cut!! That's the good part :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help