Pens to use with the SB

Pens to use with the SB

Postby mrudden » December 8th, 2014, 9:00 am

I've finally started using my SB. I'm doing test cuts on the various papers I have and noting the settings I used. A big thank you to Penny Duncan for the fabulous spreadsheet with her cutting setting on various mediums. It has helped me immensely as I explore this new way of crafting.

What I want to try next is the pen attachment, but I'm not sure what type of pen to use. I'm concerned that it will smear.

Any help, tips, tricks would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,

Melissa
http://www.DoctoringTheRoot.com
mrudden

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Re: Pens to use with the SB

Postby Gigi » December 8th, 2014, 12:36 pm

You can basically use any pen that will fit in any of the pen holders. You just want to be sure that the ink flows freely. I have used gel pens successfully - just try to letter top to bottom so it's not going over anything I have already done so the risk of smearing is minimal. Just remember to use line fonts for basic lettering as other fonts will outline - which is a fun look depending on what effect you want. It's really a lot of trial and error and I don't remember to do it as much as others. (I tend to print a saying and then print and cut just because it's a habit, but love the look of the pen writing......)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » December 8th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Well Thank you mrudden Melissa...you are very sweet...I'm happy the list was helpful for you... I know I refer to it often.....I agree with Gigi...I use any type pen or pencil or marker I want....just need to make sure it flows freely!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby pigtailpat » December 8th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I just want to add that pen work can be BEAUTIFUL! I did pen work on a project with matboard, that you cannot easily print & cut with. Pen work on fabric is another medium that you cannot easily print and cut on (especially if you are like me with only laser printers - which cannot send fabric through those rollers). For me, pen work was kind of difficult, because I have a tendency to love beautiful script letters. I last did it with the hershey text extension on the old version of inkscape (not sure if it can be used in .48 - I have to check this) and I used signcut to pen it out. Now I think because of the plugin between inkscape and SCAL - you can use SCAL to draw out. You have to have the nodes especially very clean when working with script---> hershey text.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Elizabeth » December 9th, 2014, 12:13 pm

I've used lots of different kinds of pens in my pen holders, Bic markers, ball point pens, gel pens, fine tipped markers, you name it, I've probably tried it. I keep a piece of cardboard handy while setting my pen in the holder, and pass it under a few times to make sure it is flowing for ball points and gel pens.

For markers, it takes a bit of experimentation to get the height and force right so that you don't get "blobs" of ink with your juicer markers.

I recently saw some glittered projects where someone used a glue pen in their cutter. They were beautiful. I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my list. I have a Martha Stewart ball point glue pen that might work. I'm thinking that the Ranger Embossing ink pens would work also, for embossing powders or mica powders. Now I want to go play! :D
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby jonesusthree » December 26th, 2014, 4:41 am

I plan on unboxing my SB in the next couple of weeks. Where can I find the Penny Duncan spreadsheet/reference sheet? Tia
jonesusthree

Cutter: New Owner of a SB 24'

Postby Gigi » December 26th, 2014, 11:28 am

It's in the SB Learning Center under FAQ.

Just remember that they are only suggested values - every machine is a little different in addition to how we each set our blades etc. You will see conversations on here about the different forces that we use to cut something as simple as vinyl - everything from 1-20 and more! All I am saying is use it as a guide, not an absolute! It's a great place to start.......

And remember to use the test button to get the right force - it will keep you from wasting a lot of good paper!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Sassycutter » December 26th, 2014, 12:03 pm

I've played with pens in my Cougar but I need some advice. How do I keep the "dots" from my writing when the machine starts? Does anyone else have a separate "dot" where the pen holder drops to begin writing?
So much paper, so little time....
Sassycutter

Cutter: 13" Black Cat and Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » December 27th, 2014, 8:33 am

It depends on what pens I am using. I find that I often get those pesky dots when using gel pens, so I don't use them as much as I would otherwise. With markers, I make sure to keep the force as low as possible, so I don't get a larger dot at the beginning.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Tips, Tricks, Community Help